What did you learn from your first ever nugget?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
At some time we finally find our first nugget. What did you learn from it? Good or bad!
I will go first:
My first nugget I found was not with a metal detector but a gold pan. I found a small boil hole waaay up from the current creek that held gold in the past. It was about 1.5gms in weight and was shaped like a ducks head. What I learnt was to check the cracks and crevices above the Flood line. I found over an ounce of alluvial gold from this first nugget in nearby cracks and crevices. It taught me to look outside the box and look in places around areas that gold was found. A rule I live by today.

Took me six months of every weekend and lot of beers at the Karara Tavern then bag. Never look back. Read the ground. Researching is a must. Thinking about 200 to 100 years ago what was there. The Gold was there millions of years sgo

I learnt not to ignore ironstone rocks that give off a strong signal. My first was almost totally encased in ironstone with just one spec showing through after we panned the handful of gravel that was giving the signal off three times. There was one rock that was heavier than all the rest. :eek:

Latest posts