What detector to purchase

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all!

My name is Chris and Im very new to all this.
I am looking to purchase a metal detector but being very new to this Im not sure what I should be looking for and what I should be spending.
I dont mind spending around the $600 mark and Im located in Melbourne so Im hoping there are a few stores around me.

Any help is appreciated and I look forward to joining the many discussions in this forum

Cheers

Chris :)

welcome mate you will love this hobbie it sucks you right in
1511252806_34.jpg

this is what i have and find it very good machine for $1100.00 as is the XTerra 705 between $600 to $800 depending on where you get it from some of the guys sell theres on here so it might be worth while keeping an eye out
1511252830_gm.jpg

Hi Aussiesurf,my thoughts on this is buy secondhand until you know this hobby is for you.I recently sold a metal detecter to a friend who was so keen to do what iwas doing, so isold him a M/D for $650,that was 6months ago,he has used it 2times, now he goes fishing.If you do decide to get a M/D the Garrett Ace 250 is a great starters machine it has all that you need even wet sand capable.seconhand between $250 -$350.i started with this and over the years I have owened over 12 M/D,this is a great M/D.Cheers.

Aussiesurf said:
I am looking to purchase a metal detector but being very new to this Im not sure what I should be looking for and what I should be spending.
I dont mind spending around the $600 mark and Im located in Melbourne so Im hoping there are a few stores around me.

Where will you be detecting and what are you hoping to find?

There's a range of brands and machines available.

You can buy a good coin shooting machine in your budget.

Teknetics Delta 4000 $499
White's TreasureMaster $575
Whites TreasureMaster Pro $685

You can buy a better general purpose detector good for beach, parks and bush for a bit more

Makro Racer $795
Teknetics T2 Green Classic $849
Teknetics Gamma 6000 $925
Bounty Hunter Platinum $999

Shop around before you buy, don't just look at one brand as there's many great options available to you.

Latest posts