What Bullet s this?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Found this bullet yesterday. Could somebody please give me some details about it. It is about 11mm in diameter and approximately 16mm long. It is also slightly concave on the underside. I'm not a shooter so please pardon my ignorance.

Cheers

Les :) :)
1504076038_img_0299.jpg

1504076059_img_0300.jpg

1504076079_img_0301.jpg

It Looks like a Winchester 44-40, at close range they will cause a huge amount of damage,

hope that helps.

John.

I would say a .58 0r .50 3 band minnie ball, from a muzzleloader (blackpowder). The minnie ball round was invented by a man by the last name of Minnie. They were used a lot in the American civil war, but are very popular even today with muzzleloader shooters. :)

Ridgerunner, I think you might be right a 44 cal, I miss read his measurement. :)

Well done Roscoe. I think you are on the money. Thanks for that. It fits in the timeframe as to when the area was worked for gold. Found some images to support your view.
1504091246_img_0304.jpg

Perhaps there are other PA members who have similar, unusual ammunition pieces that they would like to post here. In reality, we find a stack more "silver" than gold. It would be good to build the knowledge base when it comes to this type of "treasure."

Cheers

Les

I agree with RR 44-40 was a common size through the mid 20th century. Tubular magazines meant more shots from a full magazine with the shorter rounds.
Harries round is a muzzle-loader round from a slightly earlier era-notice the mold seam on the slug. hayyo's slug looks to be un-fired, and from a modern pressed brass casing.

it looks like a 44 magnum or 44.40 cast lead bullet, both have the same diameter , the difference was in the casting and gas checks , important with the speed the bullet is driven out the barrel, the concave base suggests a copper base plate was fitted to stop the hot gasses from melting the bullet while its on its journey down the barrel, those rings around the bullet held the lubricant, the 44 is around the 11mm diameter and more than likely be around the 200 grain weight, the weights with firearms are expressed in grains not grams, because its a more precise measurement, there is around 15 grains to the gram, the flat nose was used in lever action rifle and not a pointy bullet, there was the possibility a pointy bullet could accidentally set the primer off with the next bullet loaded in the tubular magazine, my guess the bullet is a 44.40 winchester round, .44 diameter with 44 grains of black powder driving a 200 grain cast lead bullet with a copper gas check, HH projectile could be a 38 or 357 cast lead pistol bullet, similar to lesgolds handful, there used to be a bloke at St Marys making cast lead bullet under the name of TOPSCORE he has move up queensland way its really fascinating to see how they are commercially made.
A true story, a bloke was complaining about the inaccuracy of his hand loaded bullets in a 222 calibre, what are you using ????, oh !!!! 24 grains of 748 ball powder ,, mmmmmmm ok are you using a powder thrower or a dipstick hhhhhh??? no mate counting out 24 grains its a pain in the backside, the gains are so tiny ,,,,mmmmm , some then advice given on reloading , mate was he a happy beggar next time I saw him on the range, tackholer accuracy .
muzzle loaders are just that , loaded from the muzzle , pour the black powder down the muzzle, fit the cloth patch over the muzzle , place the slug on the patch and ramrod it home carefully so its nicely seated in the breech area , pull the hammer back place the firing cap over the nipple on the breech point at the target pull the trigger kkkaaboommm, lots of blue smoke, mine is a 58 calibre, if the hammer is back in the cocked possy oooppps warning warning, too much powder, i have seen shotguns and muzzle loaders in action, pretty good accuracy, no brass cases used in a muzzle loader

Wow. Thanks for the detail. I knew there would be some experts out there. I'll filter through what you guys have said and try to store the main bits in my two remaining brain cells.

Cheers

Les

Talk about interesting projectiles, I found one day a hexagonal lead projectile whilst detecting. I kept it, its around the place here some where, you no that safe place where everything disappears to. If i dig it up, i will post a picture of it.

1504256490_hex_projectile.jpg

It looks like this, but had been fired and the nose of it is mushroomed.

Interesting stuff we find out there. :)

Like I said before I still think it is a 44-40, having owned one I had a lot of fun with that rifle but geez they are Loud, they have the ballistic curve of a house brick, How the West was won with such a thing I don't know, Maybe they all surrendered because of the Noise :lol: :lol: :lol:

John.

Latest posts