What area are you in?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaveNT Enter Prizes ~ it will be if He gets his Lures into the water.
Another Big High tide there tomorrow Mid Morning would be the go.
Looks like Townsville or Cairns could well get a Cyclone only a few more points drop in pressure that low tobe a cat 1.

Heatho said:
davent said:
DaveNT as in Northern Territory, Darwin based.

(Currently on holidays at Laurieton NSW)

Nice part of the world there Dave.

Wiggly Tail butcher shop there has some of the best steaks I've ever eaten. :Y: :drooling:

Will see if his bbq sausages are a winner tonight, hard to get good snags in Darwin for some reason.
Didnt bring any lures with me bushy, but did chuck in a nice little reel, feel like some low effort, no pressure whiting fishing, lake cathie (Cateye) is open atm!

That wharf at the Laurienton Fish Co-Op throws some good size Tarwine other stuff getting around under the boats moored also.
You never know what surprises you can get around that area interesting water ways.
Cheep bait my choice ; 1 egg / half a cup of white flour / some milk / Dough mate & no sinker nails bream and mullet.
Have a great stay. :Y:

Find a tight spot with waterflow Dave, the whiting can be found where the flow spreads and slows on both the outgoing and the incoming tides either side of it respectively.
As long as it has a large space to fill.... water doesn't even need to be deep. :Y:
edit.... probly helps if it goes in over a yabby bed :D

Here ya go Dave...
A spot around to the left from the rockin oyster... looks like you could just walk in to there (no crocks too) :D

Edit.... picture lol
1614579247_screenshot_2021-03-01-16-09-52.jpg

Thats googlys bay, well thats what we used to call it. Lost a bream there with my dad in about 1982-3,I would have been 15 years old. Was absolute horse of a bream, hate to guesstimate its size, but was at least twice as big as any I have caught before or since. Also caught some nice flattys there. Where it drains into the river, used to be a big cungi bed, weird in a river, but there was heaps there, used to collect some for drummer fishing, also a good Jewie (mulloway)spot. I caught my first ever land based Jew there, 21 kg.

Actually you can still see the cunji reef to the left of the gap in the break wall in that pic.

Should mentioned that I grew up in Bonny hills, which is about 10km up the coast from North Haven/Laurieton. Mum and dad still here. I have pretty good local knowledge of the place. I lived and breathed fishing the area. Having a great time showing my daughter around my local places, and memories are flooding back lol. Wiggles tail butchers have been there as long as I can remember, the addictive pie shop is still here as well. Shame the North Haven boat shed is gone.

kpa 1020 The Fish are Plenty.
Speaking of Pressure the Nth QLD Tropical Low was 998 kpa @ lunch time.
It is now 6 hrs later dropped to 992 kpa.
I think we have a cyclone on our hands.

1614586113_screenshot_632.jpg

992 is definitely a whirligig.
I dont think this will be the last of the season either, Im expecting the wet to continue through April and perhaps even May this year.
Having said that, bom predicted a La Nia with above average rainfall for most of Nth Australia, which it kind of has been, December was average, January was about 200mm above average, Feb about 100mm below, and its been a funny wet as well, its been patchy, mostly coastal in the NT, 100km inland not so much, in fact I heard a lady on abc radio from Adelaide river saying its been way below average there. These numbers are Darwin centric only.

Hot Wet and Blowy Up Here.
Not much left of the Joint since TC Yasi Blew through.

1614697394_screenshot_638.jpg

TC Yasi barometric pressure fell to an exceptionally low 937.9 HPA and moved directly over Willis Island as a Category 5.

This one TC Niran has dropped 16 HPA in 24 hours now really is a Cat 2.
It will be interesting to see if the experts are correct with it expecting to move on out to sea.

1614696969_screenshot_637.jpg

Forum
General Chat
What area are you in ?

Don`t know she`s long gone from being under pressure:
Interesting and Dangerous Old Sheila she was;
Cyclone Mahina was the deadliest cyclone in recorded Australian history.Cape York Peninsula, Queensland, on 4 March 1899 estimated at 880 hPa.
Cyclone Mahina also produced the largest storm surge on record, generating a 13-metre (43-foot)-high surge.

News reports TC Niran is now a Cat 3 apparently.