What am I looking at ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, spent last Sunday detecting around the Waanyarra area,and area of particular interest was a small length of old workings in a gully.The workings in the gully were about 150mtrs in length and appeared to have been dug over on numerous times. At right angles to the gully was an outcrop of rock, I think ironstone,The out crop was heading up the side of the hill approx. 500 meters towards the crest.The hill itself was covered in quartz small,marble size to lumps as big as a fist.The surrounding hills showed little signs of quartz.There was also a lack of any real workings that I could see on the quartz covered hill.
So was the quartz from an old reef and barren , slowly decomposing and should I pay more attention to the hill side with my detector ? Keep working the gully ?
Is this an area I should be looking to detect ?The large amount of quartz on the surface has me intrigued.

Ford

Hi Ford, Australia is such an ancient weathered continent, gold nuggets eroded out of reefs millions of years ago can end up resting on bedrock that bears no relationship to the rocks the gold came from (which may be totally gone now).
Also many reefs only have pockets where gold is and although the reef on the hill may be barren, the section of reef that was above it that has eroded away now may have contained gold. The gold may also be part of an old lead that concentrated along a gully in the past. The gully may have run over the top of the hill and the land surface has now changed and does not reflect where the old gully was.
I guess the answer is to detect in a wide berth on the hill and at least down to where the slopes below it level out.
Cheers RDD

Ford falcon said:
Hi, spent last Sunday detecting around the Waanyarra area,and area of particular interest was a small length of old workings in a gully.The workings in the gully were about 150mtrs in length and appeared to have been dug over on numerous times. At right angles to the gully was an outcrop of rock, I think ironstone,The out crop was heading up the side of the hill approx. 500 meters towards the crest.The hill itself was covered in quartz small,marble size to lumps as big as a fist.The surrounding hills showed little signs of quartz.There was also a lack of any real workings that I could see on the quartz covered hill.
So was the quartz from an old reef and barren , slowly decomposing and should I pay more attention to the hill side with my detector ? Keep working the gully ?
Is this an area I should be looking to detect ?The large amount of quartz on the surface has me intrigued.

Ford

Large amounts of quartz rubble on higher points of elevation is always a good indicator for those who rely mostly on a detector.
All the better if no signs of workings are around on these rises, because this most likely means the quartz was released by weathering and decomposition of the stone contained within and outcropping above surface level.

Waanyarra line of reefs usually tended NNW and SSE or slight variations of.
Is the direction of the ironstone outcrop running East West? If so this may be a leader running up to the brow where it intersects the quartz reef.

From what you say this should be a likely area but there are many factors geologically, that you need to keep in mind. Most of all, the difference between Primary and Secondary gold.
As a detectorist, secondary gold is the focus here.

If you can understand how secondary gold is formed, this will give you your answer on where you should be swinging that coil in any given area.

In a quick rundown, secondary gold forms at or near the earths surface from gold that is re-dissolved from its primary source.
Small quantities of Primary gold dissolve in the 'near surface' saline groundwater which is carried downslope under gravity in solution, and rediposited at or near the ground surface, particularly along valley floors.

Rainwater over many years dilutes the saline solution and causes gold to crystallize when salt levels become low due to this. Over the years of this occurring, it eventually builds up more and more layers of gold to form larger nuggets that you are after.

Look for areas of pressure in the ground....ie Red bars (iron oxide build) in the soil......detect these areas!
They are usually boat shaped and have a darker redish look than the prevailing ground.

Sides of anticlines are prime areas also so google the difference between anticlines and synclines.

Look for flats that pan out on the sides of slopes (elevated anticlines) which may trap coarse secondary gold on its fall in gravity.

You get the idea!

;)

Thanks Metamorphic and RedDirtDigger,being able to tap into your knowledge and others who have answered my questions really helps.
I,m still yet to trouble the score sheet but as my wife says I,m only a swing away from glory.
Thanks again

Ford

Latest posts