Western Australia

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi All

What is the best way to find rough diamonds in a Kimberley dry/sandy water course.
I have a location (not on an EL) - now all I need is a how-to go about it :)

Grateful for any advice or links

Cheers
Jed

I have been told that diamond has an affinity to grease. The method told to me by an old Bingara prospector was to make a sluice from cut 2ft. wide pieces of Gal. iron with the corrugations running across the sluice.
The front and top of the corrugations was smeared with a heavy grease/tallow mixture and the gravels washed over it. Diamond stuck to the grease, all other material straight over.
That don't help much though if you ain't got water!
Mike

Heatho said:
Dry Sieving through 1/2 inch into 1/4" into 1/8th" I reckon, well that's how I'd go about it. Best of luck.

I'd also recommend adding a 1/16th " sieve - I've just been fossicking for diamond at Staggy Creek NSW and our group recovered diamonds in the 1/18th & 1/16th mesh sieves. :) nothing in any of the larges sieves which were used to remove the junk.

I got a few spots close to Perth for clear quartz, garnets etc. Anyone like to share some spots?

Ded Driver said:
found this online not so long ago. Its a 3MB pdf file so I will just put up the link. Download & save to your PC.
Gemstones in Western Australia (1994)
published by the Geological Survey of Western Australia
Dept Mines & Energy
http://lapidaryworld.com/pdf/gemstoneswa.pdf

cheers yep seen this link but like many other books written they only give very vague locations , no where exact. Most is on private property too

Ded Driver said:
found this online not so long ago. Its a 3MB pdf file so I will just put up the link. Download & save to your PC.
Gemstones in Western Australia (1994)
published by the Geological Survey of Western Australia
Dept Mines & Energy

I recently purchased the book for $25 at DMP Office in Perth. Love getting a bargain :D

I can see no one has added anything to this post for over 2 years.
I am from Perth Western Australia and I am about to start in the world of fossiking.
Any comments for what I will need as a beginner and where I can start my search for the pretty shiny things would be appreciated.
I also understand that due to the Corona Virus situation I wont be doing anything in the immediate future.
Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the link Taylormarc,
Flicked through the pdf and recalled the diamond I specked at Nullagine in the 80's. Don't know why I picked it up, was detecting for gold and had no idea what natural diamonds looked like. Had a strange greasy (can't explain) feel to it so hung onto it. A jeweler identified it and wanted to buy it there and then? His excitement told me "Hang on!" It is now lost in the years of memorabilia/finds in my shed.

For those still checking, the below is from 1966, but I would think it still has some valid locations on it. I also heard recently that some have found a few of the rare pink diamonds (previously thought to only occur at Argyle, at Halls Creek.

1630841473_21_dec_1966.jpg

Latest posts