We found hundreds of old timers diggings Detector advise

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ridge Runner said:
Calling me a DH won't hook me in either....
1424437547_images-2.jpeg

:lol:

mbasko said:

DH = DiG Harder As Your Avatar was Just Digging Another Hole As This Thread Has enough Holes In Due To The Cool Gang Not being able to Read and Understand What The OP Is asking For and despite being Short Of Cash They Still Insist That He Buys A 4000 Dollar Machine, And You Click the Like Button when they Do This, That's Amazing, Sorry About Your Misunderstanding My Post, I will make it Easier for you In The Future,

Ryan1981 said:
Hi peps, recently while out for a scratch around we came across a a heap of old timers holes most about 3-7 meter round and 2-4 deep, and many of them had quartz piles near them or around the rims of the digs.

I dont think anyone has touched the area at all in a very long time and i know that they are old, because some of the holes have big gums growing out the middle of them.

What sort of detector wound be best to swing and see if they missed any bits.

Thanks guys
Ryan
Hi Ryan,

I've been to a similar area out west, looks like a moon scape with all the small craters from the diggings but the bush is reclaiming it now.

As others have said investigate the piles and the areas between the diggings.

Be careful there may be deep shafts in the area. Depending on the terrain can walk right up to them without see them beforehand.

Here are some photos from a different area to give you an idea of what I am on about. Can you spot the mine shaft in this picture?

Its next to the tree in the top right.

Its a bit more obvious coming from the other direction but still something someone looking down swinging a detector could miss if not careful:

You wouldn't want to get stuck in there. Its off the beaten path where no one will come looking for you.

Suggest you investigate hiring or getting a second hand SD2200d cost about $2300-3000.

They will find shallow surface gold and punch deep to find large nuggets.

Team it with both a Mono and DD coil for the highly mineralised areas.

A lot of people use the 2200 as patch finders and then go over the patch again with a 5000.

Very easy to use and very reliable detector.

Best of luck with it Ryan, stay safe and hope you find a tonne of gold :D

Cheers,

Grant

Hey Ryan. (If your still reading this.)
At the end of the day mate theirs only 2 people that can tell you what to spend your money on.
the first one is your missus, then yourself.
there's some good points made in this thread but being that you have been highbanking for a while i think you know that this hobby is for you. Detecting is a completely different box of frogs but enjoyable.
good luck out there mate

I'll give you my .001g worth. If you brought the sdc run it over (easy to use great on subgram) and see if you pick up some gold. This can do two things. Tell you if there's something likely missed, and pull out the trash on the top. You might get lucky and hit something bigger. If you find something you have three options.

1. Continue with the sdc until you've thoroughly covered the area.
2. Use the difference in the sdc price to gpx to hire a gpx and get a lesson. (Perhaps if your at the dealers pre purchase that would be a good time to bargain! ) Start at areas you had success. From there you can hire or sell the sdc and upgrade to the gpx now you have proven you can swing it.
3. Same as above but spp or tdi. SPP and sdc would be around the same as gpx.

All these options are subject to the gold. Never has then been a better time to be a pi detectorist in terms of economics.
I watched an Sdc in the hands of a pre-teen pick up sub grammers off an old surfacing area that had been raked and gridded by a gpx with multiple coils Inc a sadie in the hands of a decent prospector. If it's reasonably untouched mate and the gold was occurring and it's not mongrel ground or area you are giving yourself the best chance for at least something with the sdc. Make sure you get some test piece/s and good luck. I tend to think of it like my alluvial hunting, pan it, prove it, then bring the banker and hit the hot spots.

Just read your post properly. My bad. Start with the sdc on hire. I'll leave this up if anyone else wants to critique it or you win 3rd division in lotto tonight :D

Goldtarget said:
I'll give you my .001g worth. If you brought the sdc run it over (easy to use great on subgram) and see if you pick up some gold. This can do two things. Tell you if there's something likely missed, and pull out the trash on the top. You might get lucky and hit something bigger. If you find something you have three options.

1. Continue with the sdc until you've thoroughly covered the area.
2. Use the difference in the sdc price to gpx to hire a gpx and get a lesson. (Perhaps if your at the dealers pre purchase that would be a good time to bargain! ) Start at areas you had success. From there you can hire or sell the sdc and upgrade to the gpx now you have proven you can swing it.
3. Same as above but spp or tdi. SPP and sdc would be around the same as gpx.

All these options are subject to the gold. Never has then been a better time to be a pi detectorist in terms of economics.
I watched an Sdc in the hands of a pre-teen pick up sub grammers off an old surfacing area that had been raked and gridded by a gpx with multiple coils Inc a sadie in the hands of a decent prospector. If it's reasonably untouched mate and the gold was occurring and it's not mongrel ground or area you are giving yourself the best chance for at least something with the sdc. Make sure you get some test piece/s and good luck. I tend to think of it like my alluvial hunting, pan it, prove it, then bring the banker and hit the hot spots.

Just read your post properly. My bad. Start with the sdc on hire. I'll leave this up if anyone else wants to critique it or you win 3rd division in lotto tonight :D

Excellent post

Just thinking about this again, time dependant. The cheapest option is always borrowing a detector if you have a mate that is willing to give you a swing. I only gave this some thought as I caught up with a bloke that goes out regularly and lives in the same town I just moved to. I dropped in and it reminded me we often swap gold gear. I've borrowed a gmt off him at times and he's picked up the Highbanker for his kids. It just got me thinking even if it was for a few dollars or beers, even for an old sd or gmt or something it might be a whole lot cheaper on a budget.

It's a good feeling when you have reached a point with other prospector buddies that you can swap up as the need arises to get the most out of things and expand your working knowledge base.

I think that type of idea really has some merit , even for a day if a couple of members met at a certain area to try each other's machine , as well as helping each other with basic knowledge on each machine , it would give intending purchasers a huge insight before making a financial commitment . In my quest to obtain a second machine it would be great to try either a gpx 4500 ,4800 or 5000 and Whites Pro OZ , and would be happy to reciprocate with SDC for an hour or three.

Cheers

Thanks for all the comments guys, sorry i haven't replied , been out feeding the highbanker.

Ill let you all know how i go, good or bad, and i think ill see the guys a detectaden and hire out some thing for the week,and go from there.

hopfully in about three weeks time, if all things go well :)

Cheers
Ryan

Latest posts