waterproofing tents and backpacks

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Do you guys have any favoured products for waterproofing camping gear such as backpacks ,boots , swags etc ?

I have been given one brand name by a shop "Atsko Water-Guard" , but thought it worth asking here if you know something better

thankyou muchly

Hey HeadsUp,
on my boots I been using Leather Seal for about 10 years now...

http://www.leatherseal.com.au/

I just read that you can use it on canvas too - uhm, well ya learn something every day hey

On my swag I've used "COI Aqua Proof" from Aussie Disposals & works great - Google it - got plenty of good reviews.
It does give canvas that "waxy" feel but I don't care - water beads off it nicely :D

Hey Wooster,
We got 3 Burke & Wills Ironbark swags. Yep - we like them.
One old one with PVC base & the other 2 canvas base.
Traditional type swag with no poles.
I recon if you get one with poles then you may saw well get a tent.

maybe someone can help me here on this topic, I got told yesterday that if you do use a waterproofing agent on canvas that it will reduce the life of it. Can anyone elaborate on this??

I've never heard of that. Even if it was the case, once your swag or tent has lost it's water resistance but is still in good condition, would you prefer to get wet & keep your canvas in good condition or would you apply a water proofing product so you can continue using the swag/tent & stay dry? I pick the later.

Most new canvas products have been factory treated with some product to help it's water resistance.
I would only treat the canvas once it's showing signs of losing it's water resistance or gets dry/worn patches.

If you use a reputable product & follow the instructions then you shouldn't have any problems.

G'day

Just beat me to posting that Backcreek. Damn ;) Looks the biz. Got to love IFLS

Cheers

Chimpy

That has to be the ultimate water proofing.Can't wait till it's on sale here..

G'day

I'm pretty sure it is. I was wondering how it would go on a windscreen

Cheers

Chimpy

Chimpy said:
G'day

Cheers

Chimpy

there has been infomercials on it posted on engineering websites , youtube , facebook etc etc for about 3 months . they are hammering all the marketing angles.

i tried finding a distributor yesterday without luck

there was one ebay listing for it . $ 100 AUD incl postage for "18 oz pack"

i will wait until its available locally . some other bugga can pay freight on a container load and save me the spendoolum

How good is that stuff!
Wonder how long the waterproofness lasts...?
Wonder what the price of that stuff would be too.
Looks so good how it just repels everything

Ag Man said:
I've never heard of that. Even if it was the case, once your swag or tent has lost it's water resistance but is still in good condition, would you prefer to get wet & keep your canvas in good condition or would you apply a water proofing product so you can continue using the swag/tent & stay dry? I pick the later.

Most new canvas products have been factory treated with some product to help it's water resistance.
I would only treat the canvas once it's showing signs of losing it's water resistance or gets dry/worn patches.

If you use a reputable product & follow the instructions then you shouldn't have any problems.
You're probably 110% right there Ag Man, was just curious if there was any truth in it. could have been a good piece of info if i'm looking for a camper trailer . was basically thinking that if the canvas is buggered in 5 years, use the maths and use it to your advantage.

Chimpy said:
G'day

Cheers

Chimpy

Hay Chimpy,
If your looking for a product to treat you windscreen try Rain-x I've been using it for years and it's the best.
Going down the freeway you don't need your wipers on in the rain, the water just rolls off.

Cheers
Mick

G'day

Good stuff the Rain-x. I work at sea and have used it on my wheelhouse windows for years. I find it doesn't last that long between treatments. Keen to see how this stuff goes. I just cracked a windscreen and wouldn't mind using it as a Guinea Pig before I replace it

Cheers

Chimpy

G'day

Home Depot in the states has it for US$20 with free home delivery. I'm going to order some today through my Shipito account. It's an extra $8.50 plus postage to oz (but they get bulk discounts on their shipping). I'll post once its organised

Cheers

Chimpy

Well that looks like some pretty impressive stuff. Will definitely have to get some of it. The places it could be used
are just about limitless. If you sprayed your socks it wouldn't matter if water got in your gumboots ;)

Showers, windscreens or the whole car, dogs, umberellas, camping gear, clothing and the list would just keep going

Interested to know how long it lasts so look forward to your update when it arrives Chimpy

Dogmatic said:
Well that looks like some pretty impressive stuff. Will definitely have to get some of it. The places it could be used
are just about limitless. If you sprayed your socks it wouldn't matter if water got in your gumboots ;)

Showers, windscreens or the whole car, dogs, umberellas, camping gear, clothing and the list would just keep going

Interested to know how long it lasts so look forward to your update when it arrives Chimpy

spray it on your feet and pretend you're jesus

the hell with buying a boat to go fishing !

Chimpy said:
G'day

Home Depot in the states has it for US$20 with free home delivery. I'm going to order some today through my Shipito account. It's an extra $8.50 plus postage to oz (but they get bulk discounts on their shipping). I'll post once its organised

Cheers

Chimpy

good work finding that . let me know how you go . i dont have a Shipito account though but might find another way

Chimpy said:
G'day

Cheers

Chimpy

how did you go with the waterproofing stuff chimpy ?

did it still cost you 28.50 that way ?

Latest posts