Water pumps, do's and donts.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Elrodeo is spot on. The reason I gave him the p90 pump was because the honda engine snapped a crank after bring used only 3 times.
Because it was bought through an Australian prospecting shop , who had bought from keene USA, who had bought the motor from Honda , it was a nightmare to try and get fixed under warranty. In the end I gave up and bought a little Subaru two stroke. I still have the brand new honda with snapped crank and will get around to fixing it oneday, but there gear certainly ain't as good as it used to be. Don't get me started on the honda 2.0i generator which poo itself also :(.

DD

Ps yes I did remember to put good oil in it.

Haha, just noticed autocorrect changed s h i t to poo lol

elrodeo said:
Don't be fooled into believing just cause it's Honda it's made in Japan.
Designed in Japan, made no ! Honda was one of the first manufactures to move offshore due to the high production costs in Japan.
I lived in Japan for well over a decade and have been involved in the Auto Part business there and still am.
Big misconception that the Honda gear is manufactured in Japan. Manufacturing countries are Chine and Thailand period.
Anyone telling you different is talking well bull.... ! Ask a Japanese Honda dealer where they are made ! Not your average dealer but National sales rep.
Trust me they ain't made in Japan and haven't been for a long time. A little bit different with the Japanese domestic market as still manufactured offshore but assembled in Japan.

Having said that Keene use Honda pumps and as Hard Yakka said , the pumps are not hard to import and neither are the spare parts.
I ended up getting a used P-90 off Diggerdude and bought a brand new one form Keene awhile back plus spare parts (seals) and run it on a Honda GX50.
Turbo design is very efficient design and that's why the Skyline spanked Ford and Holden's arse !

http://www.keeneeng.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=EP

http://www.keeneeng.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=DMP

I mow lawns for a living...I use Honda buffalo 216D mowers.
One mower is a bit over 5 years old, the other 4 and a half.
Both made in China, both still in operation.

They have had work done on them, carby kit, filters....blades of course...
even a new set of wheels because they went bald from so much use and made them slip from the self propelled mechanism.
I am a bit slack on the oil changes...basically 1 every 6 months...should be every month.

but both engines are still running strong after cutting more than 3500 lawns.

Well, i guess Honda's aren't perfect, nothing is. But compared to the rest they could still be considered the best.

Reeks said:
Hey diggerdude you got a photo of your honda pump?
Pretty sure my honda says "made in japan" on it.
Reeko

You see lots of veges etc in the supermarket which say "product of New Zealand", these are mostly Chinese imports which are packaged in NZ. I guess the same must happen with Honda? Mine does say made in Japan, but I think assembled in Japan would be more accurate.
Not saying Honda is crap as I have lots of other Honda gear, dry blower, 8kva gennie etc. just saying it's not quite as good as it used to be. And when your paying $800 for a pump that is available without Honda written for $200 it makes you question the value.

DD

Reeks said:
Hey diggerdude you got a photo of your honda pump?
Pretty sure my honda says "made in japan" on it.
Reeko

And so does many, many products from Australia but it's a crock of poo.
I've been living in Japan and dealing with the Japanese for donkeys years and deal with Nissan, Honda, Mitsubishi, Mazda and many more Japanese companies on a daily basis and know they could not give a rats about lying that a product thats made in China, Thailand, Taiwan or bloody Timbucktoo is so called prudly made in Japan. Japanese have 2 faces and that's something you only learn from living and doing business there !
You'll find a lot of gear made is for Japanese specs and only goes to Japan and different spec for offshore markets, reason being Japanese fuel is much higher octane and a lot less impurities. I love the smell of putting High Okku (High Octane) pump fuel in a 900hp skyline gtr !

Things went pretty pear shaped the last 10 odd years and local manufacturing got way to expensive so it all went offshore. Quality control yes but corners cut in production and materials, you bet.
A lot of Japanese products are absolutely nowhere near the quality they used to be. The old rising sun ain't what she used to be.

All I'm saying just cause it's Honda and supposedly made in Japan, doesn't mean it's high quality but definitely a lot better than whats around on Ebay and the rip off prices for supposedly locally made pumps. Pity the quality is not what it used to be but hey that's modern day economics for you. Got to manufacture cheaper or go broke !!

The Subaru pump Diggerdude has a little doozy, super lightweight and cracks along and from what I remember was relatively cheap.

Just a quick note on old m sluggos are too tight Abotts free trade. It really means bugger all as we'll always play second fiddle to Americas trade ties with Japan.
All he has done is annoyed the bejesus out of China and done a deal with a country whose economy is going to the shite !

Anyway, enough rant from me..back on track "Pumps" Do's and don'ts !! Do's..definitely buy a Keene pump !!

Mine sais made in thailand :) who cares so are Toyota components nearly all colour printers and millions of otger products.
1396944070_tmp_20140408_174130-968912801.jpg
1396944092_tmp_20140408_174030-1142331390.jpg

my Honda WX15 says made in Japan

when you compare two Honda items made in china or made in japan you can see the difference straight away . japanese aluminium castings are much cleaner , less porous on the surface , with better quality mold lines and machining marks.

I think there are still some Honda products genuinely made in Japan , Metabo do the same thing , they have the cheap range and the expensive range , one made in germany and the other in asia and they label them accordingly.

you have to ask its origins before buying

Is there anywhere in austraila that sell p90 Keene pumps?
What stub staft is needed on the Honda gxh 50 to suit the p90 Keene?

G'day Red, the gxh 50 comes with a 5/8 shaft and an internal thread. M6 from memory..

See, you guys are what makes this site awesome. You all jump in with your knowledge and stories and are a wealth of info :)

Hmm, this could be a winner http://www.akmining.biz/cart/keene-2-5hp-1-25andquot;--water-pump-kep90gh.htm
I want to set up the spray the same as the Monster hog highbanker. It really demolishes the cons and practically leaves no need to tend to the material in the hopper. Just shovel non stop, great set up. So need to find a pump that will supply the amount of water needed to do this. I know any 5.5 will do this but really want it to be as reliable as possible and not too expensive. So back to the original question , would the twin impeller suck for this or win? It may produce too much pressure and blow material straight out of the box hahah. If you are unsure of the set up i am referring to look at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_bBI2TlJrI

Thats a gxh 50 with a P-90, it will be more than enough to run your high banker.
The easiest and cheapest way to get 1 of these is go to your local honda dealer, buy a gxh 50 and buy the P-90 pump direct from Keene, very simple to put together.

Showmethemoney said:
Hmm, this could be a winner http://www.akmining.biz/cart/keene-2-5hp-1-25andquot;--water-pump-kep90gh.htm
I want to set up the spray the same as the Monster hog highbanker. It really demolishes the cons and practically leaves no need to tend to the material in the hopper. Just shovel non stop, great set up. So need to find a pump that will supply the amount of water needed to do this. I know any 5.5 will do this but really want it to be as reliable as possible and not too expensive. So back to the original question , would the twin impeller suck for this or win? It may produce too much pressure and blow material straight out of the box hahah. If you are unsure of the set up i am referring to look at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_bBI2TlJrI

Flag the twin Impellr mate no efficiency there if your gping for cheap one of these will do the job no worrieshttp://m.ebay.com.au/itm/130803692446?nav=VI

By the way how wide is your sluice

I haven't built it yet but it def wont be as big as that one. Imagine carrying that around hahaha. I will probably be going 300 wide to make the most of the mats by about 1500.
Holy crap, 7.5hp. Mega over kill lol. It is seasonal with the water pump prices atm. Just coming out of bush fire season thats why there is a puch for the twin impellers. For only $495 too. If i could get the GX160 with a single impeller for the same price that would be great but they are almost double the price.

300 wide your going to need good flow mate if you want to but up the clay. The issue with the goldhog bankers is they dont have clay like us. Ive built and tested systems like that and a simole spray bar with fine cuts beats it hands down.

Yeah, but the continual cleaning of the hopper is annoying. Where we generally go ie, Tuena and Oallen etc clay is not an issue either

Showmethemoney said:
Yeah, but the continual cleaning of the hopper is annoying. Where we generally go ie, Tuena and Oallen etc clay is not an issue either

You shouldnt need to clean the hopper mate with the right pressure and angle material will wash off the back.

Latest posts