Water in creeks/rivers in Victoria?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Golden Tiger

Trent
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any gold bearing creeks/rivers in Victoria that actually have water in them? (running or puddles I dont care, just enough to pan)

I'm dying to get out for a pan but every where I go it's the same story, Bone dry. 8.(

Bazz,

Pretty much anything within a 1 1/2 to 2 Hrs of Melbourne would be great. I went to Daylesford on Sunday and there was nothing.

Balx,

I dont know where you live but according to the BOM Website it's only raining about 5mm accross the state at the moment. I live in the Northan Suburbs of Melbourne and the rain is on and off here. Fingers crossed there will be a huge rain in the gold bearing areas.

Golden Tiger said:
Bazz,

Pretty much anything within a 1 1/2 to 2 Hrs of Melbourne would be great. I went to Daylesford on Sunday and there was nothing.

Balx,

I dont know where you live but according to the BOM Website it's only raining about 5mm accross the state at the moment. I live in the Northan Suburbs of Melbourne and the rain is on and off here. Fingers crossed there will be a huge rain in the gold bearing areas.
I am in gippsland mate and she's poring. We have water pretty much all year round in most of the creeks out this way. BOM say we will get a few rainy days this week so should get them all flowing. Cheers Balx

Head up to Eldorado, cant go wrong only 2 hours for you plus gold is very easy to get there.

howdy Golden Tiger there is water in the some of the creeks around kyneton towards metecalf and redesdale after that its pretty much dust, also there was water running into turpins falls (barfold) a month ago when i was there, i would however call the dpi and ask about these areas for panning some may be off limits and a lot of the area is private property.....good luck 8)

Andersons creek in warrandyte. been going there the last few weeks, plenty of water and colour.

SPD,

I used to go there all the time, havn't been there for ages though. Might make a trip that way tomorrow.

I found a lot of gold with Mercury on it at Warrendyte and I think it's one of the reasons I Stopped going.

Dwt is right about the dust further up! In bendigo today it has just teased us, spots of rain on and off, heaviest fall is now but has lasted not even 5 mins, maybe settle the dust, but no run off into the creeks that's for sure, think I'm about to paint my face put some feathers on and do my rain dance

We are not far from Eldorado and it hasn't really started raining yet but according to BOM that might change tonight

And Eldorado never fails

Bazz

Yeah!! Good looking mutt, eh!

Found it on the net and love it, probably should change it to a pic of my schnauzer, he only thinks he that nasty

Cheers

Balx said:
Head up to Eldorado, cant go wrong only 2 hours for you plus gold is very easy to get there.

The creek still has some water in it but not a lot, its the lowest I've seen it in a while. In some places its barely a trickle and there are parts of the creek where its dried up completely with only a pool here and there. Still enough to pan, and probably a good chance to explore some crevices that are normally under water.

Dunolly/Tarnagulla/Wanyarra - still nil to very low mangy puddles. There is water in the water point dams and the Loddon is OK with water backing up from the Laanacoorie Reservoir (now has a blue-green algae warning) to Eddington (Fremantle Bridge). Its so bloody dry that I fear it will just soak straight in. As always, there is patchy water at the Dunolly Wet Lead. On a happier note, the pubs have lots of beer.

loamer said:
the Loddon is OK with water backing up from the Laanacoorie Reservoir On a happier note, the pubs have lots of beer.

Caution Will Robinson, Caution ....
Stand to be corrected but thought the Loddon was off limits, don't know if that means you can't take your cons, gathered elsewhere, there to pan or not ....
So many pubs, so much beer, so little cash, so many booze buses ... buggered again.
Cheers Tom

Teemore said:
loamer said:
the Loddon is OK with water backing up from the Laanacoorie Reservoir On a happier note, the pubs have lots of beer.

Caution Will Robinson, Caution ....
Stand to be corrected but thought the Loddon was off limits, don't know if that means you can't take your cons, gathered elsewhere, there to pan or not ....
So many pubs, so much beer, so little cash, so many booze buses ... buggered again.
Cheers Tom

Teemore - upstream from the reservoir is ok for taking water for panning. The water is too deep, no shallow gold etc to start digging in anyway (Its on the deepest part a lead) . Around the causeway is all gravel (near the boat ramp). I think the restriction is actually taking soils, clays and gravels from the river, as opposed to bringing it to the river but I stand to be corrected. Seen lots of people down at the reservoir panning with their brought in gear. the blue green algae is a problem - it won't make you sick, just give you a rash - they are still skiing in the reservoir however :rolleyes:

Latest posts