Watch your step

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey bushpig, at what point did you realise that the snake net just wasn't gunna work, and tailing him was the only way? :eek: :D

Nice python mate and I hope it was relocated to a more appropriate area ;)

Cheers,

Billy.

Billy said:
Hey bushpig, at what point did you realise that the snake net just wasn't gunna work, and tailing him was the only way? :eek: :D

Cheers,

Billy.

Hey Billy,

That was not me mate I caught one of the babies does that count haha.

I got the local snake man over he likes moving the big ones away from town and someone's shovel.

There's a bigger one getting around but he couldn't find it. He showed me a pic of a much bigger one he got last week that had a bullmastiff bailed up :eek:

bushpig said:
Billy said:

Cheers,

Billy.

Hey Billy,

That was not me mate I caught one of the babies does that count haha.

I got the local snake man over he likes moving the big ones away from town and someone's shovel.

There's a bigger one getting around but he couldn't find it. He showed me a pic of a much bigger one he got last week that had a bullmastiff bailed up :eek:

Ha ha good one mate and the other one must have been a whopper!!!! :eek:

Amazing animals but wouldn't want to get a "cuddle" from one that big!!! :lol:

Cheers,

Billy.

There wouldn't be many stray feral cat's in that area. :eek:
They clean them up down here as well. :D

just got back from camping at drake for the past 3 days, 2nd day in stopped for lunch went back to the hole I was digging in and there was I was a redbellied black snake having a drink, f&*k me and it would not move until it has finished. Its not worth getting bitten so just let it get its fill and watched move on.

99 % of people who get bitten by snakes are doing the wrong thing . Most are wrongly trying to kill them as they see them as evil creatures that must be destroyed. If you take the time to look at them in there natural enviroment there one of the most beautiful creatures out there . I know most wont agree but it's true.

Chewy said:
Tathradj said:
That's what I have. :) :)
Bit suss on them with an Adder but better than nothing at all.
I quite like them actually but each to his own. :D

Jin said:
Chewy said:
I think the big thing is just be aware of the danger and take reasonable precautions. Not to many places in Oz ya can go where the Joe blakes won't be.
Hey Chewy, have you tried out your snake protex gators yet? Just wondering do the zippers upset the detector at all.
How do you find them with the metal bit on the zip, do you have any trouble with them and the detector?

Hi Chewy, I have the protex gators as well, same issue with the zipper, but no real problem, in my book it's the same as the accidental pick and wedding ring coil overload incidents, just another thing to p155 you off, :mad: but your own fault in the end :( and you adjust :D

What really bakes me is they are nice and warm in the winter when you don't need em :lol:

I think there's way too much hype about snakes . Been on the land for 43 years an never come close to being bitten. As a young bloke used to help the old man change irrigation pipes in the crops all the time and would always encounter snakes, only once in 20 years nearly got pegged through carelessness . If your aware not normally a problem. I think that most people who are are worried about snakes have never grown up with them and misunderstand them which is probably fair enough. But there not a creature to be feared. Fellow man is way worse in most instances.

Detecting away at the site of the old Beenak school I could help but have a slight bladder control mishap as I watched my detector coil slide over the top of a lovely sunbaking brown, only a metre long but about 50x bigger when its only half a foot away! Hype about snakes? The certainly don't move away from noise I can tell you that and this call was nearly a footstep onto a beartrap. That's the 3rd in one week

In a lot of cases people get bitten because they do not know the correct way how to pick things up of the ground in snake country.
Another no no is laying things on the ground like sheets of old roofing iron and so on, these are ideal places for snakes and caution is needed around these areas.

Cheers, DD

During the week I saw heaps of lizards and only 3 snakes,2 of which were on the road and one big brown on top of a mullock heap I was heading up, as soon I saw it, it slid into a hole in the rubble I turned and walked to a different pile even more alert, my most dangerous encounter was with a bearded dragon that stood staunch in middle of the road and refused to move, after a lil bit of Steve Irwin type action he was safely moved and the drive continued

I've seen a couple of warnings posted on fb. 1 video of I think it was a brown, and a pic of a small red belly black in a sneaker that had been left outside overnight. :eek:

If your venturing out into the bush a pair of good boots and a set of gators could be the difference between you coming home or not. I know of a chap that was hit by a brown and was pretty sick by the time his friends got him to hospital about 45 min later. One of my customers her granddaughter actually died from a brown snake bite about 15 years ago. I think from memory she was about 27 years of age, so not a kid.

I've seen about 50 snakes in my life time, the scariest being a tiger snake on the kitchen sink in an old farmhouse in Omeo where we were staying with friends. The short story on that was there was a hole in the wall next to the taps and when the owners wife came into the kitchen and screamed the snake doubled back into the hole and got stuck. The owner grabbed it and took it outside and donged it on the head.

Most of the snakes I've seen have taken off quickly except for a couple tigers which wouldn't move. I guess it all comes down to the type of bush your in though. Some scrub may be less dense and give you plenty of time to move out of the way if you spot one. Here in Gippsland the bush is fairly thick and you could easily stand on one.

For me investing about $250 in a bit of protection for peace of mind is worth it, I think my wife would agree. Especially since some of my future detecting adventures will see me a good hour or so from my car in thick bush. Basically if I was bitten by a brown that far out I'd be f&@;) by the time help arrived or got back to the car. (I also carry a snake bite first aid kit just incase)

I do agree most people miss understand snakes. The facts are most people are bitten through carelessness or because they try to kill the snake. In most cases a snake will get out of your way.

My thoughts are just like insurance on a house or car that most of us will never use, a bit of protection out in the bush could come in handy one day.

Sorry for the long-winded post but another thing that I couldn't believe was watching the Goldhounds video on YouTube with them detecting far North Queensland. Top guys and love watching there videos, but there detecting sometimes 2 - 4 hours away from help with shorts on. Loved the bit where he says the biggest problem is Browns and taipans out here. If I'm struck by a brown I have about an hour before you start to go blind, and he's got over an hour walk back to camp left. Put the detector out in front of you as you walk through long grass he says, then he starts walking super fast to make up time with the detector waving around in the air. Death wish I think.

In seeing the snake, though it sent a quick chill, I kept my cool and was more concerned to see where my mates were heading. One who was about to walk straight into dense scrub which I hollered out to a warning which caused his body a swift about face. The snake lay rested in its warmth, as I studied it for a good few minutes ( from a distance )

On the money there Bjay, I think if most city prospectors had their way 'whacking day' would be an weekly event over summer. Don't like them just buy DTs cons and stay in the 60km zone.

Myazma said:
On the money there Bjay, I think if most city prospectors had their way 'whacking day' would be an weekly event over summer. Don't like them just buy DTs cons and stay in the 60km zone.

Uh ha, the sandstone Heathlands around my place have some of the biggest Brown Snakes I've seen, plenty of them too, right in the big smoke, most people just walk a good distance around them or wait for them to move on. I'm not going to generalise though but I've only ever seen snakes shot on country properties, several actually. See snake, out comes the shotty, do that around here and you'll have the TRG turn up. :lol:

Us folk who live in the city aren't as jumpy as some would imagine, snakes are generally the least of our concerns, it's the dodgy people you need to worry about.

Myazma said:
My dad can remember when he was young they used to have snake drives here. No shortage of them. The whole community would get together and go snake hunting. No idea how nobody got bitten or shot. Shottys were used. And thats not in the city. I reckon I'll leave em be like I always have. But I do prefer them dead to alive, I reckon a few people might be trying not to antagonize the greenies with a few statements on here. I'm a country boy and I have seen many snakes killed cos thats how it really is. :)

Latest posts