Watch your step

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My point is that somebody just yelling (even at the top of their voice) is no more likely to 'frighten' a snake than a cow is by bellowing, or a kookaburra or galah going off its head.
Not sure you can say that stomping along is a fallacy unless you actually can account for all the ones that you don't see or just see there tail as the move off into the bush imo. A lot of the snakes that i usually see (and this is from spending 40+ odd years along waterways where snakes abound) are those that are lethargic and sleepy and not fully alert until you step on them.
But i fully agree that keeping your eyes on the ground and wearing protective clothing is the best defence.

Its actually a snakes sense of smell using its tongue that is its major warning receptical.

The chemical receptors in the tongue gather information which when retracted back into the Jacobson's organ, telling the snake who is prey, and who is predator!

It may sound crazy, but if your down-wind of a snake, it may take longer to realize your presence!

Eyes peeled, thick pants and high boots is always good advice.......would also advise everyone to become familiar with the 'Pressure and Immobilization' technique of treating any bites.

[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=3&v=nzM6YgtPmEg[/video]

Unless you detect walking backwards, remember you have a long pole with a nice swatter on the end swinging in front of you at surface level to help out!

Be careful sticking your hands into rock crevices etc.

Stay safe lads ;)

I hear you about waterways have had them swim out to us in the canoe a few times while bass fishing, was once standing in the water about 4 feet from the shore when a large black snake went screaming past chasing a water dragon (he wasn't interested in me) that was exciting :) , we use to get at least 2 browns a year in our back yard (chicken farm next door) and always called the local snake catcher, those browns can dissapear in 1inch of grass and they are bloody quick not to mention they showed no fear :) , while working for sydney water we use to go out into the catchments sampling and we'd be banging around and on more than one occasion there would be blacks just going about there business like we wern't there, I've got lots of snake stories of close encounters bashing through the bush thats how i have come to my conclusion 50/50 :D

At least you're looking down and in front of your feet Pat. Most snakes bolt, they rarely attack from my experience. When you're wading or walking up a river you're generally watching 5-10- or 20 metres in front and not constantly where you're stepping.
I've had the same thing when out in my kayaks havinago, but they will often swim towards you probably thinking your a log or something. very few people realise how long they can stay under water as well, i've had my watch set on some before that have stayed under for five minutes or so and still not come up for air. I've watch a black at Lake Echo in Tassie actually hunting frogs underwater, he was staying down and not coming up for air and was poking his head amongst the rocks until he finally got one. it was great to watch.

Saw my first one last weekend laying out on the track we had just driven up as we were returning. funny thing was this one had reverse as it managed to back off the track on the same line as its body until i got too close and it decided that he needed a higher forward gear and a U turn to get out of my way. I think it was a copperhead.

Basic Physics

Sound is a form of energy. Energy is the ability to move something over a distance against a force, remember? What is moving to make sound energy? Molecules. Molecules are vibrating back and forth at fairly high rates of speed, creating waves. Energy moves from place to place by waves. Sound energy moves by longitudinal waves (the waves that are like a slinky). The molecules vibrate back and forth, crashing into the molecules next to them, causing them to vibrate, and so on and so forth. All sounds come from vibrations.

Captn

Captain Zero said:
Basic Physics

Sound is a form of energy. Energy is the ability to move something over a distance against a force, remember? What is moving to make sound energy? Molecules. Molecules are vibrating back and forth at fairly high rates of speed, creating waves. Energy moves from place to place by waves. Sound energy moves by longitudinal waves (the waves that are like a slinky). The molecules vibrate back and forth, crashing into the molecules next to them, causing them to vibrate, and so on and so forth. All sounds come from vibrations.

Captn
So how does a snake know it's a threat making the noise (vibrations through the air) as opposed to just another animal, or falling tree, or car driving past etc etc. If i come across a snake in an open paddock and yell my head off at it i doubt it would move unless i went near it. If i picked up a shovel and thump it down on the ground i reckon there'd be a better than 50/50 chance it would move.
Up in the NT i've been in boats where we have literally motored slowly up to and been on top of crocs that haven't moved until we've given them a prod with something.

I ran into a eastern brown today. I looked up from swinging the coil and he was about 6ft in front of me. Head rose about 10cm up he had a look and slithered back into the rocks he was sun baking on. They move pretty fast.

Chuky boy said:
I ran into a eastern brown today. I looked up from swinging the coil and he was about 6ft in front of me. Head rose about 10cm up he had a look and slithered back into the rocks he was sun baking on. They move pretty fast.
Watch out if you've got the little bloke with you chuky. How'd you go with the gold?

One thing to remember when confronted with a curious and/or aggressive snake like mentioned by ChukyBoy....stand absolutely still for a couple of minutes (maximum) as snakes have a small brain and after (usually) about 15 seconds forget what it was they were getting agro at and go about their way as usual.

Most snakes usually only attack if they feel threatened (as in immediate danger) or while in the "season" with a female, so if you spot one directly in your path, just stand your ground but DON'T move and they will (usually) pass you by.

Gypsy

SCROUNGER said:
Captain Zero said:
Basic Physics

Captn
So how does a snake know it's a threat making the noise (vibrations through the air) as opposed to just another animal, or falling tree, or car driving past etc etc. If i come across a snake in an open paddock and yell my head off at it i doubt it would move unless i went near it. If i picked up a shovel and thump it down on the ground i reckon there'd be a better than 50/50 chance it would move.
Up in the NT i've been in boats where we have literally motored slowly up to and been on top of crocs that haven't moved until we've given them a prod with something.

I don't really know SCROUNGER it might depend on the pitch of the vibration????? but the snake repelling units you can buy now to place around your house operate on the same principal. I have heard excellent reports on the battery operated ones, not so the solar ones, possibly because snakes are a nocturnal creature and they don't hold the same voltage when the sun goes down.??????

Ok guys, my little story from 6 months ago. We were fossicking at Ophir just out of Orange. I was walking along a 4wd track along the creek and was keeping an eye out for snakes in the wheel tracks. I stopped to look at a mullock heap up the hill and to inspect the creek bend. As soon as I took my eyes off the ground I heard a loud tap. I didn't really feel it but I looked down to where the sound came from behind me and sure enough there was a 4 ft red bellied black snake behind my right jogger. My 1st thought was thank god its a black and not a brown snake quickly followed by lifting my leg as he slid off. On inspection, my right jogger had a plastic reflective cap on the back of it and there was venom on the clear plastic. Now the feeling I got was intoxicating (adrenaline rush). Now I always carry a venomous bite kit and 5watt walkie talkie to contact someone. Keep your eyes open, don't step where you can't see, eg over a fallen tree etc. and leave them be. 9/10 times they will leave you be. I also now wear hiking boots or thick gunboats and thick jeans.

Cracka.

Redfin said:
I anticipate seeing a lot more snakes this year as our detecting style has changed with the 7k.
Slow overlapping sweeps, 2 sweeps per step will not provide much vibration.

the good thing with the 7k is you can just drop the coil down on a snake and it's mince meat :)

nuggetino said:
Redfin said:
I anticipate seeing a lot more snakes this year as our detecting style has changed with the 7k.
Slow overlapping sweeps, 2 sweeps per step will not provide much vibration.

the good thing with the 7k is you can just drop the coil down on a snake and it's mince meat :)

You can do it with any detector.
Karl

I shouldn't have started reading these posts... starting to freak out now. Went for a quick swing this morning and spent more time worrying about snakes than the detecting. A friend of mine stood on a big brown snake about 6 months ago not far from my area so it's always in the back of my mind to keep a look out for them.

Last time i walked down this track i came across an injured animal. Not sure what it was, not a mouse or rat but something similar. It was bleeding slightly and barely able to move. When i got back it was gone. I could of been anything that injured it i suppose but can't help think that a snake bit it and waited for it to die to eat it. Anyway don't want my fear of snakes to get in the way off my love of prospecting so i'll invest in some good boots and some gators this week.

Not sure about protection above the knee though as i've read a brown can strike at thigh level. Thinking about cutting off the boots on my waders and wearing the pants section as there 4mm neoprene. Going to be a bit hot in summer though.

Not much point in being terrified of snakes, I've seen just as many in suburbia as in the bush. A healthy respect for them is a good thing though. As we know most get bitten trying to kill snakes. Definitely watch your sep as the thread title suggests.

If confronted in strike position as mentioned stand still for about 20 seconds and then back away very slowly. It works, I was confronted by a 6ft Brown 3ft away as a kid and did this, I'm still here to tell the tale fortunately.

[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3HUlZGOxtU[/video]

Especially don't chase Brown Snakes, bloke in this vid is really playing with fire......

[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez8MB331xkI[/video]

Latest posts