Watch your step

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jin said:
I shouldn't have started reading these posts... starting to freak out now. Went for a quick swing this morning and spent more time worrying about snakes than the detecting. A friend of mine stood on a big brown snake about 6 months ago not far from my area so it's always in the back of my mind to keep a look out for them.

Last time i walked down this track i came across an injured animal. Not sure what it was, not a mouse or rat but something similar. It was bleeding slightly and barely able to move. When i got back it was gone. I could of been anything that injured it i suppose but can't help think that a snake bit it and waited for it to die to eat it. Anyway don't want my fear of snakes to get in the way off my love of prospecting so i'll invest in some good boots and some gators this week.

Not sure about protection above the knee though as i've read a brown can strike at thigh level. Thinking about cutting off the boots on my waders and wearing the pants section as there 4mm neoprene. Going to be a bit hot in summer though.

As far as im aware most ozzie snakes don't strike high (above knee) usualy foot/ankle (or hand if putting under ledge) Ozzie snakes have very small fangs but make up for it with very lethal toxin, suffice to say that a pair of jeans is usually enough for the fangs not to penetrate. Don't cut your waders to expensive and they wont get through your waders unless you a very unlucky. They deserve respect either way you look at it, but personally i would prefer to come face to face with one of our snakes than to come face to face with a bear or lion or shark etc etc :D

Working in the Adelaide hills in the last 6 weeks I have had a meeting with 2 Red Bellied Blacks .. the first was 6 weeks ago only a metre long, the second last Monday which would have been close to 2 metres long... neither fled my terrifying presence..... I was cutting with 3 others workers, over grown vegetation back from a well used public walking trail for more than 20 minutes with Whippers prior to the confrontations ... snakes afraid of loud noise or extreme vibration ... I don't think so.

And no .. that had not been corralled into a corner .. they had 359 degrees of escape.

Yup it is that time of year, I tuck my thick socks into jeans
so they wont run up, lol,
But then "He will not be the same snake again if he bites my socks".
As we move slow when detecting be aware that you are creeping up on them
and they might get hard to see as they sit and watch you with curiosity,
when digging a target, well have a look around you first.

But if you are in a bad situation like he is striking at you, well jump
higher than the snakes bight, like skipping a rope and wear him out that way.

They are the ones I worry about too. Only ever seen one sunbaking in a cemetery. It took off & was invisible within a fraction of a second. I'm always wary when walking through any area that they can/could blend into. They will usually not move when camaflouged as they are an ambush predator. I have read that their name "Death Adder" was actually morphed from being called "Deaf Adders" due to the fact they stay put. People back in the day thought they were "deaf" as other snakes were quick to move but "Deaf Adders" weren't. We now know that they all hear through vibration but the name morphed & stuck.

I too reckon that Death Adder is most dangerous snake. Bloody thing don't move until you step on it. It is hard to spot, it looks like piece crooked branch lying on the ground. I stepped on one when I was living in Blue Mountains. Other snakes don't worry me at all. Guys you have a detector to fend off any snake that may attack you from the front. And so far I never had snake coming on me from the back
Karl

I have had to toss my detector at bloody Tiger Snakes at times. :eek: Part of the reason that the mast clamp is broken.
I used to go out with a snake handler back in my younger days hunting Death Adders to milk.
I wore a set of 5 mm thick leather chaps right down over my boots and even then they would get their fangs stuck in them. :eek:
We would pick a spot then using a long handled rake, Clear the leaf litter until you found one. It was the only reliable way
to capture one with out been bitten and even then I went close a few times. :D
They are rated as one of the fastest striking snakes in the world.

Tathradj said:
I have had to toss my detector at bloody Tiger Snakes at times. :eek: Part of the reason that the mast clamp is broken.
I used to go out with a snake handler back in my younger days hunting Death Adders to milk.
I wore a set of 5 mm thick leather chaps right down over my boots and even then they would get their fangs stuck in them. :eek:
We would pick a spot then using a long handled rake, Clear the leaf litter until you found one. It was the only reliable way
to capture one with out been bitten and even then I went close a few times. :D
They are rated as one of the fastest striking snakes in the world.
Classic Tath, while others are supposedly? posting big nuggets on the forum to drive tourism, you're doing your bit to frighten the bejeezes out of everybody :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chewy said:
I think the big thing is just be aware of the danger and take reasonable precautions. Not to many places in Oz ya can go where the Joe blakes won't be.
Hey Chewy, have you tried out your snake protex gators yet? Just wondering do the zippers upset the detector at all.

Jin said:
Chewy said:
I think the big thing is just be aware of the danger and take reasonable precautions. Not to many places in Oz ya can go where the Joe blakes won't be.
Hey Chewy, have you tried out your snake protex gators yet? Just wondering do the zippers upset the detector at all.
Yeah sussed them out the other week, the zip teeth are ok, but the zipper tag bit is metal and does set off the detector, I can adjust my swing a bit and it seems ok. I am a bit disappointed with them in that respect. I think I saw some different ones from Reeds over in WA, they might be better. So I can get away with them but there are better ones for prospecting out there, I might upgrade and use these as spares for the mrs if were camping.

That's what I have. :) :)
Bit suss on them with an Adder but better than nothing at all.
I quite like them actually but each to his own. :D

Jin said:
Chewy said:

Tathradj said:

Jin said:
Chewy said:
How do you find them with the metal bit on the zip, do you have any trouble with them and the detector?

1443509385_img_8653.jpg

Found this little fella over the back fence this morning.

Wondered about this as I don't own a PI Machine. yet.
I like the fitment and Design side of things and to my knowledge in my neck of the woods would like to see them a bit thicker.
Please do not take me the wrong way.
They are a bloody well designed nice peice of kit. :D
Just those adders worry me and that is a hard one.

Chewy said:
Tathradj said:

Jin said:
Chewy said:
How do you find them with the metal bit on the zip, do you have any trouble with them and the detector?

Latest posts