wasps, wasps everywhere!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
crumpydv said:
Billy that looks like good stuff and thank you for the link, cant put a price on safety i guess. Would be great to have in the backpack as a last resort i rekon especially when out in remote areas. You said you've used this so this stuff actually worked well? Have you tried any other sprays or is this the best? Did it make them swarm? Last thing i want to do is attract more.

Crumpy, I've only ever used it on paper wasps and it kills them almost instantly, before the day heats up or when it cools down is best as the wasps are all on the nest. I probably wouldn't be spraying around anywhere that it would have the chance to enter the water. I have been bitten many times by various wasps but generally if you leave them alone they will do the same, in my experience.
Not had to use the spray for any other purposes, but I certainly wouldn't want to get it anywhere near my face/eyes.... ;)

Cheers,

Billy.

If they're Euros just bait the b*stards with a plate of mince meat and some ant&wasp dust. They'll be attracted to it and carry the poison back to the nest. Should work in the field too. If they're paper wasps just leave them alone. If one does zap you it tickles for 5 or 10 minutes only. I've had a nest of these guys living by the back door all summer without problems with the benefit of them keeping the spiders down.

Parko said:
If they're Euros just bait the b*stards with a plate of mince meat and some ant&wasp dust. They'll be attracted to it and carry the poison back to the nest. Should work in the field too. If they're paper wasps just leave them alone. If one does zap you it tickles for 5 or 10 minutes only. I've had a nest of these guys living by the back door all summer without problems with the benefit of them keeping the spiders down.
Yeah im pretty sure theyre European wasps but thats a good idea with the meat! Would it harm animals though if left in the field? Im hoping they start to clear away now that its getting colder but will take the idea of the spray can in the backpack as a last resort if they start getting too nosey! Are you saying paper wasps tickle or european wasps? As ive heard euros can be deadly.

Just found out something I did not know.
Yep, European Wasps are here.
First found in Tasmania in 1979,
They have now gone as far North as Sydney and over to Western Australia.
Referred to in America as Yellow Jacket or Meat Wasp's.

Tathradj said:
Always been around here, don't grab them as they sting repeatedly. ..and bite

I know.
As stated before, I laughed at the Americans way of dealing with them.
Youtube is your friend.

AtomRat said:
Tathradj said:
Always been around here, don't grab them as they sting repeatedly. ..and bite
I could only imagine! And apparently they send out a back up call (scent) for reinforcements if you do kill 1 or they sting! Thats what grinds my gears the most, they can harass you and disturb you from finding a mother load of gold but as soon as you disturb them its on! Haha

Latest posts