Wanting to start gold detecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Contact Dean at Goldsearch Australia in Dunolly VIC he is the Aus distributor 03 5468 1877 he will give you the agents name if there are any in NSW regards john :)

Hi Cutz , In May last year I replaced my aged vlf machine with a gp 3000
In 5 months I found a total of 5 grams ,and decided to upgrade again to the gpx 4500 .

A 3500 should be in your budget of 1500 ish and with the new price of gpx4500's on special , I think an old one would be worth 2500 ish If you could up the budget .
These machines are the way to go if you mainly look for gold . If you get a gp series don't worry about the new mono coil hype , Monos are too noisy on a pre gpx ,stick with the DD's . There are new ones out from Detech that are meant to be pretty good

I have no interest in poking round in parks and beaches .if that is more your thing a good vlf with sophisticated discrimination is the thing to have,
unfortunately there is no all round wonder machine !

Thanks , Brett

Jackthehound said:
I agree with Phase Tech and the others on buying an earlier minelab. I had nothing to do with detecting before, but was always interested, so I looked up metal detectors on the internet. Was first looking at a Garret Ace 250 to start with and ended up getting the Garret AT Pro Int. It was great as my first detector and taught me heaps. found old coins, old war buttons, junk and stuff but it made me realise I really liked this hobby. Now the problem was, could I afford a GPX 5000 at that time ? No, I couldn't "justify" it to the missus if you know what I mean, so I bought a Garret Infinium.

It was my introduction into detecting for gold. I won't get into the in's and outs of it all, but I never found any gold. I was trying to convince the missus that at best, we buy a second hand Minelab. So we were in the caravan park in Wedderburn and this couple from QLD were staying there. They invited my missus around for a cup of coffee and they happened to show her some of their gold. Well, her eyes were like dinner plates, and when she asked him what machine he was using, he said a Minelab. Guess what, when I came back from detecting she said "we have to get a Minelab". Woo hoo I got the go-ahead, so we ended getting a second hand GPX 5000.

What I am trying to say is :
1) do you want to just hunt coins etc or is it gold detecting ?.
2) how much do you like the hobby?, as it is not worth spending big bucks on the latest machine and then find this is not for you.
3) buy the best detector you can afford, if you are keen. A lot of people think, I will get this detector and get some gold, then upgrade to a better detector. But it
doesn't seem to work.
4) the cost of buying 2 detectors to start with and then having to shell out more cash for another, when I was half way there already.
this is only hindsight though.

I spent nearly $2500 on 2 detectors to start with, and if I saved a bit more I could have got a second hand Minelab. You can still go relic hunting with them but you have a gold machine as well. I will say that the learning experience from starting from scratch was great and I don't regret it either. Be careful though because if it grabs you, you are hooked, and the next thing you know, you are living in WA Pilbara.

shite it's hot.

This is the BEST advice. I wish I was told all this when I started out. If I was in your position, I would get an SDC 2300. I know that at the moment they are out of your price range, but keep saving. You will be thankful you did.

Latest posts