wanting to go to mooralla :)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys, this is my first post .... I live in South Australia but planning on a fossicking trip to mooralla Victoria, i was wondering if there is anywhere else i can go within the vicinity of mooralla to look for other stones too. this will be my first trip out of s.a so I was also wondering if we need a 4 wheel drive to access mooralla and surrounding areas..and what things are a necessity to have ? hope someone can help thank you :)

Hi Rose,

We have family property within 5kms of the Mooralla fields as the crow flies and have endured many trips with the kids when they were younger. As far as I know the Mooralla crystals are about the only gems in the area. The track into the Mooralla field is accessible by car and with conditions being dry at present should not pose a problem as long as you take it steady. But the further you get towards June/July it should be a bit wetter and much friendlier to dig. Have seen caravans up there so anything less will be no problems.

cheers

G'day Rose,

Just down the road from the turn off to the Mooralla field we used to collect a very nice banded rhyolite that could be cabbed at the Quarry alongside the Rocklands caravan park. We obtained permission to collect from the rangers. I don't know whether the area is still able to be accessed but it would be worth a call.

While you are down that way take a side visit to Mortlake and visit Mt Shadwell to collect volcanic bombs that have olivine & peridot in them. Give the Mortlake council a ring to arrange access.

Dughug said:
G'day Rose,

Just down the road from the turn off to the Mooralla field we used to collect a very nice banded rhyolite that could be cabbed at the Quarry alongside the Rocklands caravan park. We obtained permission to collect from the rangers. I don't know whether the area is still able to be accessed but it would be worth a call.

While you are down that way take a side visit to Mortlake and visit Mt Shadwell to collect volcanic bombs that have olivine & peridot in them. Give the Mortlake council a ring to arrange access.

this is fantastic info :D thanks Dughug, will be adding this on the to do list for sure. Mortlake sounds amazing sooooo exited.

Thank you Grubstake :) i am a huge fan of wal n liz's channel its so inspiring. i have always had the rock bug but they make it soooo much worse haha thanks for sharing the clip tho has great info on it

I'd really like to get down to Mortlake too someday, the Peridot from there makes great looking gemstones. It's a long way for me to travel though but is on my bucket list.

Latest posts