Wannabe Newbie

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm Bruce. Currently living in the UK (almost 17 yrs), working as an audiologist. Originally from country NSW (Gunnedah). One of my brothers and I are very keen to have a crack at some gold prospecting/fossicking. I'll be back in Oz over Christmas for about 6 weeks. We're hoping to possibly have a week or so in Victoria and 4-7 days somewhere around Nundle/Hanging Rock. I've been researching what we need for licenses etc to allow us to have a go, but am finding it all a bit laborious and cumbersome.

Anyone have any 'how to' links/guides or tips on exactly what we need for NSW and VIC to allow us to give it a go?

Cheers,
Bruce

Welcome to the Forum Bruce. The link mbasko put up is certainly the best place to start your research. The second best place is to ask questions here as the time comes nearer. There will be many here to give you sound advice on locations and what's needed as far as gear is concerned. Cheers Wal.

Welcome aboard, Bruce. As an expat, you'd be well aware that the period you'll be back in Oz is prime Xmas/New Year/school holidays time. If you're thinking of hiring metal detectors, right now is the time to make those arrangements.

Detecting is more popular than ever here, with reality TV shows, YouTube, the high gold price and escape from the cities, some of the main factors driving this surge in interest. Get in early or miss out on the gear you'll need.

If your fossicking plans are just for panning and crevicing/sniping, there shouldn't be any gear availability issues and there's lots of great advice right here on PA. For instance:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...-a-rewarding-way-to-cool-off-in-summer.39962/

Welcome aboard, Bruce. As an expat, you'd be well aware that the period you'll be back in Oz is prime Xmas/New Year/school holidays time. If you're thinking of hiring metal detectors, right now is the time to make those arrangements.

Detecting is more popular than ever here, with reality TV shows, YouTube, the high gold price and escape from the cities, some of the main factors driving this surge in interest. Get in early or miss out on the gear you'll need.

If your fossicking plans are just for panning and crevicing/sniping, there shouldn't be any gear availability issues and there's lots of great advice right here on PA. For instance:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...-a-rewarding-way-to-cool-off-in-summer.39962/
Thanks. Looking to most likely buy a detector etc before I come over. My understanding is that there's a fairly decent detector/supplies type shop in Tamworth. I can get my brother to get some stuff before I get there as well. We're more interested in the detecting side of things, and my brother has this itch he needs to scratch by checking out opals, so this trip will just be a bit of exploratory/gaining a small amount of experience. Great site, by the way.

Welcome to the Forum Bruce. The link mbasko put up is certainly the best place to start your research. The second best place is to ask questions here as the time comes nearer. There will be many here to give you sound advice on locations and what's needed as far as gear is concerned. Cheers Wal.
Thanks Wal

Latest posts