Gunnedah Newbie

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'Day All.

Have been lurking for a little bit and decided to introduce myself. The wife and I have been thinking about prospecting for a little while now initially as a bit of a hobby (to take the van to and camp) and then longer term for when we decide we want to go on the road a bit more and travel.

Borrowed a mates detector over Christmas and did a bit of detecting but just for coins and stuff. Mostly around where we knew that there had been old shops and blacksmiths and no surprise the bulk of our finds were blacksmith related but did come up with 11 cents, 1948 penny and a pocket knife. We think we would like to do a combination of gold and also coin and relic detecting so have been looking into detectors that can help with both

Have used this forum a bit and are gradually narrowing our search down but are also mindful that we don't wish to spend thousands and then decide to give it up. Probably puts us into the $1,500 (up to) category. There is a massive amount of choice but we will get there and at the moment like the Macro Gold Kruzer (new), QED PL3 (2nd hand) and the Equinox 800 (new). Will probably change my mind a few times before we commit though but that is part of the fun.

Interested to hear from people out our way (Gunnedah and North West NSW) and hopefully meet up with some of you :Y:

Rod

It was half way down the main street on a corner and it sold just about everything you wanted. I remember a shop in Cooktown where you could buy skiffs, little 4x4 Honda's, clothes,--everything except food I think.

Got it know the one you mean.

Not sure how long ago you were here but it has grown a bit with Coles, Woolies, Aldi, KMart (was Target), Supercheap and a Maccas to name a few. You know you have made it when you have a Maccas :D

G'Day All.

Have been lurking for a little bit and decided to introduce myself. The wife and I have been thinking about prospecting for a little while now initially as a bit of a hobby (to take the van to and camp) and then longer term for when we decide we want to go on the road a bit more and travel.

Borrowed a mates detector over Christmas and did a bit of detecting but just for coins and stuff. Mostly around where we knew that there had been old shops and blacksmiths and no surprise the bulk of our finds were blacksmith related but did come up with 11 cents, 1948 penny and a pocket knife. We think we would like to do a combination of gold and also coin and relic detecting so have been looking into detectors that can help with both

Have used this forum a bit and are gradually narrowing our search down but are also mindful that we don't wish to spend thousands and then decide to give it up. Probably puts us into the $1,500 (up to) category. There is a massive amount of choice but we will get there and at the moment like the Macro Gold Kruzer (new), QED PL3 (2nd hand) and the Equinox 800 (new). Will probably change my mind a few times before we commit though but that is part of the fun.

Interested to hear from people out our way (Gunnedah and North West NSW) and hopefully meet up with some of you :Y:

Rod
Hi Rod,

Small world. I'm living in the UK at the moment, but grew up in Gunnedah and my Mum, 2 brothers and sister are all there. One of my brothers and my Mum have detectors (though I'm not sure Mum has ever used hers). I was home last Christmas and Stephen and I did some detecting on the flats behind the brickworks (used to be a camp there apparently?) - found a few coins (couple of current currency and a couple of pennies), some cutlery, a brooch and some sort of small plaque (brass I think).

I'm keen to look for gold, Stephen's leaning towards opals but has done lots of general metal detecting (he wants to have an exploratory look at opals before he commits to the gold).

I'll be home again this Christmas, so the plan is to spend some time in (probably) Lightning Ridge area, really just to try a bit of noodling. It looks like the closest area for gold is around Nundle, so we're planning to have a look there, then at some point we'd like to get down to somewhere in Victoria to have a go there.

If you're happy to stay in touch, I wouldn't mind meeting up when I'm back to share some ideas and, being that Stephen is keen to get any tips he can and I'm an absolute novice, if you have any advice for newbies, that'd be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Bruce

I'll be home again this Christmas, so the plan is to spend some time in (probably) Lightning Ridge area, really just to try a bit of noodling. It looks like the closest area for gold is around Nundle, so we're planning to have a look there, then at some point we'd like to get down to somewhere in Victoria to have a go there.
Be advised that Lightning Ridge noodling isn't what it once was. Increased concern for health and safety responsibilities and an influx of reality TV-influenced dreamers, have contributed to the following situation:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...fossicking-signs-lightning-ridge-n-s-w.39976/

Hi Rod,

Small world. I'm living in the UK at the moment, but grew up in Gunnedah and my Mum, 2 brothers and sister are all there. One of my brothers and my Mum have detectors (though I'm not sure Mum has ever used hers). I was home last Christmas and Stephen and I did some detecting on the flats behind the brickworks (used to be a camp there apparently?) - found a few coins (couple of current currency and a couple of pennies), some cutlery, a brooch and some sort of small plaque (brass I think).

I'm keen to look for gold, Stephen's leaning towards opals but has done lots of general metal detecting (he wants to have an exploratory look at opals before he commits to the gold).

If you're happy to stay in touch, I wouldn't mind meeting up when I'm back to share some ideas and, being that Stephen is keen to get any tips he can and I'm an absolute novice, if you have any advice for newbies, that'd be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Bruce
G'Day Bruce, Small world indeed. mate would have been good to have a catch up but unfortunately I have just accepted a job offer in Emerald (Qld) so will have left Gunnedah by the time you get back here.

Good luck with it all

Rod

Latest posts