Wals' Hi-banker Specifications

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Wal, i am getting parts organised to build one of your bankers.
Have been looking at a few different pumps,

Honda Wx15 50cc 4stroke 1.5" $770

Aussie ultralites with same motor as wx15 1.5" $660

Makita eph1000x which comes with 3m feeder and 8m pressure hose. 33.5cc 4 stroke $550

The first two are my first choice but the Makita has caught my attention, it's a rebadged Dolmar and uses a Robin Eh035 motor. It can pump 42m head, 8m suction and 130L per minute max.. Weighs 7.5 kilos.

Roughly how many litres per minute do you push through your highbankers?
Would 100-130 lpm be sufficient? If not i have no problem stepping up to the larger Honda powered pumps.

Dont want to have a u-bute banker with not enough water flow.
Thanks
Reeko

hi , better off with a pump with more capacity ( wx 15 240l/min) that way u can cut back revs on pump, always better to hav extra capacity than not enough :).. I started off with my banker with standard riffles now am going to goldhog mats which require more water so I am glad I had extra capacity in my pump ( wx 15 )

cheers

1384253291_hi_banker_059.jpg

Finally finished my Walbanker - Gold Variant recently. The variant is only 1200mm long which Wal said was the minimum length I would need to capture gold only. It took many hours to complete but every bit was enjoyable.

1384254000_hi_banker_171.jpg

Cutting the bread crate to shape...

1384254056_hi_banker_163.jpg

Taking a break to stand back and admire...

1384254237_hi_banker_069.jpg

The Walbanker and all its operational gear...

1384254312_hi_banker_085.jpg

On the creek...

1384254407_045.jpg

Slight modification to the sloped aluminium mesh...

Now I've got to get to the creek to really put it through its paces. And thx Wal for all your help...

Tige said:
hi , better off with a pump with more capacity ( wx 15 240l/min) that way u can cut back revs on pump, always better to hav extra capacity than not enough :).. I started off with my banker with standard riffles now am going to goldhog mats which require more water so I am glad I had extra capacity in my pump ( wx 15 )

cheers

how wide is your sluice ? did you check with the goldhog people about correct flow for the width ?

goldhog mats require around double the flow you would normally use for a sluice with riffles or Expanded mesh

doubling the length seems to be popular too , goldhog matting around 6 feet in length is the norm.

i agree on overating the pump capacity , not just because the pump will last longer being run at lower revs more often , but you also get spare capacity in case you want to pump up higher near its maximum head limit on occasions and still have enough flow rate.

You'll find that mesh will work wonders Myles, and the front boiler section will get 90% of the gold before it even gets to the crate. ;) Look forward to the report once you run a few cubic metres through it mate.

Cheers Wal.

I think it may need something at front of the expanded mash to stop the heavies getting under the carpet. Great job mate. It looks awesome. Let us know how it works.

Reeks said:

Would 100-130 lpm be sufficient? If not i have no problem stepping up to the larger Honda powered pumps.

Thanks
Reeko

I run about 180lpm on my bankers and can strongly recommend nothing less than that for the type of banker i run. The smaller pumps will run a smaller two tiered banker where water speed is created from the slope of the upper box. In my version you need to create water speed in a single box.

Cheer Wal.

Beagleboy said:
I think it may need something at front of the expanded mash to stop the heavies getting under the carpet. Great job mate. It looks awesome. Let us know how it works.

The carpet is compressed by the mesh in this version and it's how i run my "gold only" versions. Nothing gets underneath. This particular mesh spring loads the carpet.

Cheers Wal.

WalnLiz said:
Beagleboy said:

The carpet is compressed by the mesh in this version and it's how i run my gold versions. Nothing gets underneath. This particular mesh spring loads the carpet.

Cheers Wal.

I thought the expended was sitting directly on the skid plate with an angle holding the carpet down in your HB. I have not seen another version of it but it makes sense. You only use the carpet with backing, right?
Thanks Wal.

Yeh Beags, the version with the catwalk is the gemstone version...still catches the gold. The "gold only" version uses the sloped mesh in Myles banker and is the fast clearing version for severe ironstone areas.( not as good on sapphires)

Half the mesh sits on the skid plate and half is compressed onto the mat. I only use the backed mat.

Cheers Wal

Hi headsup, my banker is tapered 250mm top 230mm at bottom, it's about 7 feet long.. I hav not spoken to goldhog people i just run some material that I have to test it for angle plus water. I have to run pump about twice the speed as what I was doing with riffle setup with less angle ( 10 deg. angle approx.) will find out this weekend at tuena how it goes... :)

Tige said:
Hi headsup, my banker is tapered 250mm top 230mm at bottom, it's about 7 feet long.. I hav not spoken to goldhog people i just run some material that I have to test it for angle plus water. I have to run pump about twice the speed as what I was doing with riffle setup with less angle ( 10 deg. angle approx.) will find out this weekend at tuena how it goes... :)

8 - 9 degrees is what the GH testing has come up with

their 30 cm wide Viper HB requires 470 litres/min , and the 21 cm wide Mini requires 220 litres/min so your 25 cm wide unit may need at a wild guess 250 - 300 litres ?

i will be interested to hear how it goes

i use a little caravan level attached to my HB to help with faster setup in case thats useful to you

( sorry for off topic peeps )

1384259730_level.jpg

WalnLiz said:
Reeks said:

Thanks
Reeko

I run about 180lpm on my bankers and can strongly recommend nothing less than that for the type of banker i run. The smaller pumps will run a smaller two tiered banker where water speed is created from the slope of the upper box. In my version you need to create water speed in a single box.

Cheers Wal.

Thanks for that Wal.
Reeko

Here is a clearer picture of the modification. As Wal said the mesh sits on the carpet compressing it quite a bit and this stops any gold escaping underneath. The carpet is also backed. I also found it better to leave the ALICE pack attached because after a few hours of shifting dirt the wet ALICE is cool on the back and I just cant be bothered taking it on and off... I've also cut many more squares out of the crate than is shown on the picture to ensure it clears properly.

1384294377_044.jpg

Hi wall and followers :) Myles love the work u have done, I'm slowly earning my diy build stripes lol. I have had a hard time finding a trough/ tub /sluice tray. I can buy 1 but don't wont to 2 if I can recycle something, here is my new $30 hand towel dispencer I found, it's heavy steel twice as thick as rain gutter but not gal or better aluminium. What do u think good idea, just thought I'd share my score/ find. if anybody else is looking and an out of the park idea can b helpful sometimes :) always having fun learning somthing new
1384489561_image.jpg

Sorry to jump in on your thread folks - you blokes are amazing with what you can do. My hat is off to you and the old diggers would be impressed!!

Latest posts