Walbanker vs Banjo

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
banjo highbanker what ever you want to call it wins hands down the ol walbanker cant handle or shoot clay to pieces have a good christmas and it catches the finest gold at beechworth

Good one phil thanks, maybe when you get time could you put up a vid or pic of yours please?

Quote- seems to be a non-rocking rocker box or cradle. I always thought the Banjo was the tool they used to scoop water from the creek and into the rocker, usually a longish stick with a ladle or bucket on the end and so no back breaking bending down was required. The reason it was given the name 'Banjo' was because it actually resembled a banjo of the stringed variety. End Quote

MJB Mate did you read post #27 ???? So true Phil.

Im giving this banjo idea alot of thought..and research.
I have seen the banjo pans...i have seen the old timers banjo box.
But i cant get my head around the stopping and starting water flow?? Over rifles? As for eating clay its got me fully interested in how it does that...? 1st time ive been stumped? Please shed light on this cause it will just consume me till i get the drift of it? :D

Doesn't your one stop and start waterflow too yobskin? I'm confused with the clay bit too

Now, because were on this subject of pump limitations... .Would you consider a manual ( hand driven ) californian pump illegal in qld?

Which is basically, your banjos ladels on a belt. Or there's another pump where rope with rubber plugs are pulled up pvc pipe to raise water. You can either move the belts by rotating a wheel.. Or simply pulling on the belt / string to raise and dump multiple loads of water, rather than one ladel at a time. Just some food for thought.

Yes I'm taken by this concept of the banjo, been thinking about it for days, running it through my head, throwing the dirt up to the top on the top box, then throwing water at the bottom of the top box so it shoots up to the dirt and mixes it then flows down into the 2nd box. I know I've got this right because I ran it past 'Jemba'.

But knowing the clay at Deep Creek aye Yobs, man it's tough to break up. Especially when i'm classifying in my bucket with the holes, and spinning it around just like normal classifying, just I use a bucket submerged in the bigger bucket full of water,

When I check my gravels out, there's always these small balls of clay, so I have to grab them and break them up with my hands.

I would love to try one to see how it handles the clay at Deep Creek, if it does, then that's Steve's and my problem fixed.

Len

yobskin said:
Im giving this banjo idea alot of thought..and research.
I have seen the banjo pans...i have seen the old timers banjo box.
But i cant get my head around the stopping and starting water flow?? Over rifles? As for eating clay its got me fully interested in how it does that...? 1st time ive been stumped? Please shed light on this cause it will just consume me till i get the drift of it? :D

Working clay in the top hopper sorry but this is the only photo I have of the Banjo/banker working the clay. The jetting design is so designed to punch fine needle holes in the clay you then roll the clay with your shovel at which point the clay dissolves. The only clay it will not work is the real hard packed stuff

ClayMedium_zps66382c3a.jpg

The Banjo I hope to realse in the new year { with the hand operated water system} is very much different than the one I am using now. And believe me you can put the material through the little suckers with very little effort. With this unit you must puddle the clay before you process it.

AtomRat said:
Doesn't your one stop and start waterflow too yobskin? I'm confused with the clay bit too

Now, because were on this subject of pump limitations... .Would you consider a manual ( hand driven ) californian pump illegal in qld?

Which is basically, your banjos ladels on a belt. Or there's another pump where rope with rubber plugs are pulled up pvc pipe to raise water. You can either move the belts by rotating a wheel.. Or simply pulling on the belt / string to raise and dump multiple loads of water, rather than one ladel at a time. Just some food for thought.

Spot on mate more than one way to skin a cat so to speak. Jembaicumbene

No mate the photo is of the modern day unit using a water pump. the new hand operated unit you must puddle the clay before treatment. cheers digger

Modern unit

1450744210_100_0449_copy.jpg

Thanks Jemba, that photo I assume is using a motor to pump the water, as you are aware we cannot use them here in QLD. But you're talking about a hand pumping method I gather for QLD. If that is the case that's going to be beaut.

Len

Californian pump the water to a container up high and use gravity to feed water to spraybars and it might have the pressure to break clay mabey..an accumulator along the line can fix pressure.

Ok another question. Are ram pumps legal in qld for prospecting. I'm trying to help :lol:

I've even had the thought of making a simple bucket puddler that has a crank handle and blades too mince up the clay and sticky stuff? Then could possibly make it too be an attachment for your equipment, so their will be an exit out of the bucket that only let's material too a certain size out and falls into the hopper!

Just my thought? But could be a good bright idea, I need too get on the drawing board :D

Cody

AtomRat said:

The rockin yobskin does stop and start...its rocking motion is what breaks clay settles the gold and exchanges material the water just lubricates the process.... i can even dry rock non clay material.
And it doesnt have water flow rifles.....now thats skinning a cat.
In Qld you can use any crazy contraption as long as it is hand operated...and ive seen some crazy stuff people have made.. :D
Thanx for shedding light on the banjo guys i can set my mind at rest now .

Cheers Yobskin

Mate in the early new year around March you should know it all. Guy's to get the full story on the Banjo please read post #27.

Love this thread and smithy42 that is a good Idea been thinking of something like that too.

Latest posts