Walbanker vs Banjo

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahhh Thankyou phill & mbasko yeah that's the machine I am talking about. Thanks for that link mbasko that explains it well. you other guys if you read my first post where I said I'm thinking of building a highbanker, you may have been able to put 2 and 2 together and worked out I wasent trying to build some LAME ancient machine. That wouldn't even closely compare to a walbanker....You's must have thought I was an idiot thorough your own lack of knowledge. A big thanks again to phill an mbasko good to know there are people on here who know what their talking about and are willing to share knowledge with a noob such as myself. I've learnt I've got to watch out for those people just out to give a noob a bum steer or high jack their posts with irrelevant info...great to hear that the banjo goes good phill. When I finish my walbanker I'd love to give them a non-bias comparison...:)

Aaaaahhhhh.... your Banjo="tiered highbanker" to some others.

Happy to be corrected, but from what I gather, the Walbanker design is particularly suited to gem hunters being able to visually sort through the larger material while raking it clear, whereas the self cleaning designs such as the tiered banker disregard the larger materials.

I've built a "modified walbanker", for me its the best of both worlds, I get the ease and simplicity of the bottom box bread crate and ultimat (works awesome I might add) exactly the same as per Wal's design, length, size, dimensions, materials for catching the gold, but instead of his forward clearing hopper, I've fitted it with a traditional rear clearing hopper with grizzly and spray bars.

The hopper is adjustable so if I want to set it horizontal and have the ability to thoroughly wash material or check for stones and clear by hand I can, but if I'm digging gold and wanting it to self clear I just tilt it right up and go that way instead.

The simplicity of the bottom box on wal's walbanker is as simple as it gets and the catch rate is second to none. The beauty of it all is its very cheap and easy to make on a budget.

That's a nice bit of gear elbowgreese I like that idea... Like you said best of both worlds :)
And no marked but ur half right. The banjo is a type of 2 tier highbanker. These analogy's may help. All banjos are tiered highbankers but not all tiered highbankers are banjos. All thumbs are fingers but not all fingers are thumbs. All jacuzzi's are spa's but not all spa's are jacuzzi's. All holdens are motor vehicles but not all motor vehicles are holdens. Comprenday essay...? :)

slowflow said:
elbowgrease, how about a pic or two of your banker?

I've done that and better!

Photos and a short backyard test run video are up in the "Do It Yourself Projects" topic!

I would like to describe the modern day Banjo.

I hope my description of what a Banjo banker is can be understood. The banjo is what I use for prospecting and yes I only go for gold but if I come across a gem I will pick it up. I can shovel straight into the top hopper, which has the ability to wash most clays. I do not bend my back nor do I get wet hands and at times I can work in boots, with no need for gum boots. From the back of the top hopper to within 4 inches of the discharge end of the hopper runs a slick plate once the gold passes through the punch plate, it then falls and settles on the slick plate, water then moves the wash to the rear of the bottom hopper.
At this point it is meet with another deflection plate which places the wash into a tray designed and placed for that to happen. From the tray the wash then enters another slick area then meets the hydraulic jump which rolls back the cavitation {air bubbles} just in front of my riffle section. Then on through to the riffle section and out of the unit.
The advantages of the Banjo is the amount of material you can process, its ability to process most clays. Been portable with the ability to be moved within the working area. Been able to process the black sand without gold loss. Which all comes down to the amount of concentrate you have to clean up. It takes around 40 minutes to do a clean-up from start to stop. Is it not better to get 3 gram of gold from half a pan of concentrate. Rather than a 10 litre bucket full of concentrate.
How the idea of the Banjo Banker came about is unimportant but what I will say is the unit is the end result of the two pieces of equipment described below having been combined into one. The Banjo has used the slick idea from the Bush banjo and the retention style of the Wet Jigger. But todays Banjo is very different to the ones we first made which were used without any pumping required hence the name Banjo. Seeing as it was worked in the same manner as the bush banjo.

The Bush Banjo.

Back in 1936 I. Idriess wrote the below in his Book Prospecting For Gold. I now will quote a section from that book.
Dishing, Banjoing and Cradling. Chapter 3 page 16 through to page 18.

Having located payable ground, you procced to work it. Strip off the overburden with pick and shovel and throw it aside; but not on the ground you will want to work later. Overburden is the surface ground, in fact any ground which carries very little or no gold. You only want the very bottom, strip for a week, a month. How long depends on whether the storekeeper is pressing for your account. Then pick up the bottom and shovel it into a heap. Throw away any stones; there will be less to carry. If you are in Reef or specimen country, keep an eye on any iron or quartz stones you pick up from the bottom of the wash. There may be the odd specimen among the stones. If so, you can dolly them later and recover the gold, some forms of ironstone specimens are hard to distinguish; the gold is coated with a film of iron. As on a specimen field, some stones may carry a penny weight to twenty ounces of gold, you will soon learn to cast a practised eye on ironstone and quartz among the wash. specimen country is a term used for mineral country wherein reefs have shed numerous specimens down the gullies, creeks, valleys and flats. A specimen is a piece of stone, containing rich mineral, which has broken away from or been shed from a reef. Many alluvial fields carry specimens.
Cart, pack-horse, or wheelbarrow your accumulated wash-dirt to the nearest water hole. Not being running water the ordinary method of working is by Banjo or Cradle. A few hardened old-timers prefer to dish their dirt; but the process is very slow.
Banjoing is back breaking work. Still, in portions of Australia, particularly the far north, some men become remarkably proficient. A banjo is simply an open box, about 4 feet long. The head of the box may be 2 feet high, with the sides sloping to 6 inches. The width is 2 feet at the head, tapering to 18 inches at the end. This narrowing of the width is important. The bottom is covered by bagging. The tail of the box is open; but there is inserted a 2 inch ripple two pieces of board fastened across the tail to hold back the sands. The Banjo is placed, in a slightly sloping position, right against the edge of the water-hole. The digger throws a few shovelfuls of dirt well up into the head of the box. Then he steps into the water, grabs his prospecting dish, and throws a dish full of water into the tail of the box so that it rolls up to the dirt at the head and, partly dissolving it, comes back like a receding wave. This is met by another dish full of water and another and another until the dirt is reduced to the level of the ripple. There is then about an inch depth of heavy sands in the banjo. This is carefully scraped to the head of the banjo, a few more shovelfuls put in, and the procedure repeated. When all the dirt has been put through, the concentrates are put into the dish and washed.
There is a distinct knack in banjoing only acquired by practice. the idea is to keep the water striking the tail of the banjo so that, though the sludge runs out , the oncoming water carriers the heavier concentrates containing the gold back to the head of the box. The water can be used over and over again.

The Q.L.D Wet Jigger

Quote taken from the Department Of Mines, Sydney, N.S.W, A Guide Book For the use Of Prospectors in N.S.W. Fourth edition. 1933. Page 19
The Wet Jigger
The Wet Jigger is an efficient hand operated concentrating appliance used for the treating of alluvial material. It has been used for many years in Queensland and is rapidly coming into use in New South Wales. The Wet Jigger has many good points. It is easily made and is portable. Being well raised from the ground and self-discharging, there is little difficulty in disposing of tailings and hopperings. It is very easy to operate and has superior concentrating action to the cradle.

My Banjo

100_0449%20Copy_zpsmbntxgjb.jpg

100_0448%20Copy_zpsnamzwgg9.jpg

Now for the good news for our QLD members in regards to the new laws and such I am hoping to be able to present to those members a new way of sluicing that falls well within the state laws this should happen within the new year. But I will not make the same mistake as I did with the Banjo plans by the open display of them on the net. The plans of the idea will only be sent via pm. And I also will reserve the right as to whom I send them to.

I know Qld laws... i have also corresponded with Rossco...water pumps are machinery....prohibated
Thats why i made the rockin yobskin... if im missing somthing please advise me..any new info would be good.

Yobs Jembai's banjo doesn't use a pump, you throw water up into it, when you've shoveled some dirt up into the top box, it then flows down over the mesh at the bottom and into the bottom box.

I assume what Jembai is saying about my post is that, Indeed, we cannot use pumps or any mechanical means up here in QLD, so that's why he's telling us about this method of his that can get us around the Draconian laws that we have to put up with.

Hope I explained it ok, Jembai, tell me if I have or not?

Cheer

Len

cecc said:
Yobs Jembai's banjo doesn't use a pump, you throw water up into it, when you've shoveled some dirt up into the top box, it then flows down over the mesh at the bottom and into the bottom box.

I assume what Jembai is saying about my post is that, Indeed, we cannot use pumps or any mechanical means up here in QLD, so that's why he's telling us about this method of his that can get us around the Draconian laws that we have to put up with.

Hope I explained it ok, Jembai, tell me if I have or not?

Cheer

Len

1450671106_thumb.jpg

Spot on the money mate.
Quote- . But todays Banjo is very different to the ones we first made which were used without any pumping required hence the name Banjo. Seeing as it was worked in the same manner as the bush banjo. -end quote.
I am stepping back 20 odd years and bringing the original design back on line. i have been lucky i never did put any information on its design on line, so there has been no ridicule in reference to it like there has been on the one above. the plans will be available to members who wish to build one but only via PM. cheers Jemba.

Thanks Jemba, appreciate the help mate, I will definitely like to make one.

Oh ok i got it now...the picture put me off ....
I have thought of it in the past....but i cant bend over lifting pan fulls of water up continuesly...hence the rocker with diaphram hand pump...on level ground i can work 20metres away from water sauce... or 8m lift up bank.
Riffles need continues water flow to work effectivley unless in reverse??? Send me plans im interested i will keep them safe and relay any improvements/mods back to you.... ;)

Thats the best part about the little Banjo you will not have to bend your back. I. Idriess said that using the Bush Banjo was back breaking work and he was right it is. But with the new design of the little unit it is light very portable and you just flick the water into the setup. As I said I have not made one for around 20 years and trying to remember how it went tougher is a challenge. It was not designed be me and the person who designed it has passed on. But I have the proto type almost worked out.
If you own a water pump in QLD, in your laws there is nowhere written where they say you cant pump from point A to point B, then use the water by hand from there. This is a good way around them. But as with the rocker & Banjo you can use the same water time and time again. As from the 7th of January I will be off line for a few months but when I get back I hope to be able to present the idea to the group, cheers Jembaicumbene

It's looking like a plan guys, thanks Jemba for your input and a way to help us all in QLD. The rocker is a beaut but at this moment I can't afford one, so am looking at something more affordable, Steve and I are looking for ways to process the dirt more quickly and dealing with that rotten clay.

As Yobs suggested last time we met, get some extra buckets, fill them with water and soak the material, keep rotating it. So that's our only option at this stage. As with a lot of people, money is my biggest problem at the time.

So have to improvise the best we can....

Appreciate you all...

Cheers

Len

Jemba and the rest of you, hoping you all have a very Merry Christmas, and a bountiful and prosperous New Year, to you and all your Family.

Len

Thanks Jemba for your ideas and thoughts on how to get around the rubbish laws Qld'ers have to contend with. Your design looks good but seems to be a non-rocking rocker box or cradle. I always thought the Banjo was the tool they used to scoop water from the creek and into the rocker, usually a longish stick with a ladle or bucket on the end and so no back breaking bending down was required. The reason it was given the name 'Banjo' was because it actually resembled a banjo of the stringed variety.
Look forward to hearing how the modern incarnation achieves results

Latest posts