Visiting Family In Sydney in January Looking to do some prospecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,
I am Kevin i am From southern California and am a member of a few gold clubs in southern Cali, actually will be the next President of the local GPAA club. As the title say i will be coming to Sydney in mid January to visit my sister for her 21st birthday, and as much as i want to see my sister i am not coming half way around the world (close enough) to one of the greatest gold producing countries and not try and find a little bit of that shinny gold. any suggestions or info would be great.
Thanks a bunch
Kevin

Hi Kevin

There are a few gold fields within 5 hours of Sydney (West/ South/SouthEast) and the Golden Triangle region about 10 hours drive. If you are prepared to jump on a plane and get really hot there are other options.

If you can indicate how much time you have and what you are chasing (nuggets/alluvial/tour) forum members may be able to offer more pointed suggestions.

Wally

Thanks Wally, a plane is probably out this round, but i am willing to drive the 10 hours. I wont be bringing a detector, so nuggets are out unless there are tours that rent them. and i am guessing Alluvial is what we call Placer so sluices and high bankers? and i think tours might be the best option as i not planning a bringing much equipment.
Thanks again
Kevin

Hi Kevin, a bit more info, where and how long in Sydney will you be staying? Will you have access to a car? You are welcome to use my High banker and Pans etc so equipment should not be an issue for you if you want to go bush for a few days. January can get quite hot here! Let us know and I can point to a few camping locations and im sure some of us on the forum will be planning something so you can also tag along.

We will be there from the 18th-28th but was planning on taking 24th-26th for prospecting. We will have a car. Family lives in Camden but probably staying in a timeshare in Sydney but might stay in Camden. Yeah ideally I would love to tag along with someone if you or someone will be going out during that time.
Thanks

No probs, If you are staying in Camden then the quickest Gold areas will be Southern NSW spots, but also only about 200km away from Bathurst areas and Hill End/Sofala old gold towns. I'm sure once you get 10 posts you can check the members section for dates and see who's going out.

Gday Kev.
Welcome. Im sure if u stay in touch here someone will organise a trip for you, even if I have to take you myself ;) . There are places to hire detectors or do tours , but the tours I believe are a bit pricey , but something you could check on the net for info. A member is holding a bbq around that time in a gold area a few hours drive from Sydney so perhaps if he reads this an invite may be possible ? Anyway once again welcome and stay in touch.

Ps.. what detector are u currently using ?

I simply can not let it go..........without saying something.

It is extremely heart warming to see the offers of generosity, friendship and sharing that flow through this forum. Bit of girly thing for a guy to say ...... but it has to be said.

If there were more people like you guys in the world - the world would be a much better place.

Great to see so many welcoming Kev from SoCal .........just look right before you cross a road Kev! We are a bit backwards...... :eek:

Hi Kev, welcome. There is plenty of the yella here as there is over in California. It's perty hot in mid January anywhere in this country. Just go out morning or late afternoon and you will be ok.
Wish your sister a happy 21st from all of us. Is she living here or visiting?
All the best.
Jack :|

Yes thank you evevryone for the advice and help, all us prospectors no mater where your from I have found are good helpful people, and like wise if anyone ever comes to So. Cal I am more than happy to show you where the gold is. Obama just took away our local spot about an hour away and our only close river prospecting but we still got plenty, untI'll he take that away too.

As my sister goes, long story short, my mom gave her up for adoption when she was born, she was adopted by an Australian couple that was here in the states working, meet her for the first time about a year and a half ago. I missed her first 19 birthday I won't miss another.

Thanks again everyone

Hi Kevin and welcome to the forum mate, plenty of really great people here on the forum and there is always someone out and about playing in some dirt or splashing about in a creek looking for a little gold, im pretty sure when you get here we will do what we can to help you out

Hi Kevin. Welcome to PA. Great to see some of the members offering to help you out with your Australian prospecting. It is the Aussie way. Hope you have a great trip and get to take home some of our yellow stuff. Happy 21st to your sister.

Cheers

Ramjet

welcome aboard Kevin you sound like the right kind of bloke to me with your heart in the right place
Headsup https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/profile.php?id=414 is a bit of a guru on the Sydney side of things he might be able to chime in and show you some spots around Sydney. You can rent a detector just about anywhere on the goldfield here in the triangle there's plenty of tours available and you will find most prospectors knowing that you will only be here for a short time will be happy to show you a good spot or two.

if it were me id stay close to home i'm sure you can find some aussie gold in NSW.

If you do end up down here (Ballarat, Creswick) shoot me a PM i'd be happy to take you out in the field time permissting for some highbanking, drywashing whatever suits as the weather permits.

good luck mate

Thanks guys!! looking forward to it, we are jam packing about a month worth of stuff in this trip, but everyone i tell that i am going to Australia the first thing they ask is if i am going prospecting.
On the bright side of a long road trip is i can get to see some of the countryside. also now i am looking forward to Australian day, i have heard good things.

like so many of you i am sure, i am lucky to have a very understanding wife, i went to Nome Alaska this year and now next year i am taking off on our Australian trip for 3 days to go dig in the dirt and then going back to Alaska in July, and she didnt say anything when i told her i was going to be president of our gold club... but she comes to get her cut when i bring home the gold. the small price i must pay.

A 2 night stay at Hill End pub will give you a good base of a great old gold town. Id be happy to point you to some stop offs and alluvial areas. Your alternative would be to stay in a log cabin at Turon Gates (my fave if bringing non prospectors along).....the wife would love it. 2 and 1/2 hours from Sydney is not going to be painful and you will see real Aussie Bush without any hassle and right in the heart of some gold areas and fresh water rivers.

Thanks Twapster, Sounds like Hill End will be the spot, i was talking to my sisters family and they and that they wanted to go as well and said they would get a trailer tent so we can do some camping. they don't prospect so it would be cool for me to get a few Aussies hooked on gold prospecting while i am there. so it sounds like the plan is coming together. we are planning on the 23rd,24th,and 25th of January. I love old mining towns, Tombstone,az is my favorite place to go and spend a day or so. so i am excited about exploring and visiting some old gold towns in Australia.
So is the prospecting wet? stream/river? or dry? any suggestions on camp sites? I hope your Available or anyone else that weekend.
Thanks
Kevin

Plenty of spots at Hill End, my personal fave is camping down the Bridle track where the Turon River meets the Macquarie. It is one of those tracks you don't forget and have to drive slow if you value your life given the sheer drop off and the fact the road is mostly one car wide. Not scary if you take it easy but the passenger gets a view that is spectacular at the top of the descent.

You also have the Caravan park in town if you want to be closer to the pub, a pub that's been there since about 1872 and the only one left from the 27 or so pubs that were there during the gold rush. Theres panning, detecting etc. A lot of gold has come from the area in the past.

Latest posts