VicRoads - Caravan and Towing Requirements

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Don't know if this has been brought up before (sorry if it's a repeat)

here's the latest Police revenue bash,

All tow vehicles must have a "weight rated D-shackle" for safety tow chains that mount to towbar (its yellow with weight rating) $200.00 infringement notice for noncompliance.
As far as I can tell, this is NOT on the VICROADS website anywhere. see: https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safety-and-road-rules/vehicle-safety/safe-caravanning

But alas yarra ranges area police are offering all people not in compliance, a handy 200.00 dollar reminder for a law not even mentioned on vic roads rules for caravan towing.

Beware our great states law enforcement are out there protecting us and looking for every vehicle towing a trailer.

good luck. Winnemucca :eek:

And how are the chains rated?
I can see a valid point to using rated shackles, for a minimal cost, anyone not using them is a tad careless anyway.
But the chains?

This has been rumoured for some time, but there is an article in todays RACV magazine headed "D-Rumours Debunked". The words of the Caravan Industry Association (CIA) that investigated the rumours of needing to comply with AS2741-2002 are, "Our understanding is that there is currently no regulations requiring shackles used on a trailer to comply with the Standard". Also the shackle Standard only covers their use for lifting.

CIA approached the police and state transport departments and they have denied any form of crack-down.

It would be good if someone familiar with the details of the road rules, etc could further enlighten us, and if this has happened then these folk may have a case to challenge the fines.

Rob

Given that 2 shackles rated at 2000kg, cost less than $10, go buy 2 and forget the rumours, articles, hype and argument.

I bought 4, use 2 and carry 2 spares, because they are easily lost or nicked.

TFE

I'm in the process of applying for my trailer manufactures plate. I have a couple of caravan manufacturers that have been bugging me for a while to make chassis for them. I will let you know if I find anything that confirms these claims. I have heard the same noise from a mate here in Melbourne. I just finished my camping trailer chassis and put rated shackles on anyway.
I think it is a money grab and a pathetic one at that. Caravan hitches are extremely well engineered nowadays, so for the coupling to jump would be rare !

condor22 said:
Given that 2 shackles rated at 2000kg, cost less than $10, go buy 2 and forget the rumours, articles, hype and argument.

I bought 4, use 2 and carry 2 spares, because they are easily lost or nicked.

TFE

I agree. The cost is minimal when compared to your trailer, van, boat or whatever. As Redfin said... What about the chains?

Invariably, the chains are the strong point and rated to at least the trailer ATM. However, most chains are welded to caravan draw bars, and are galvanised.
Unless done properly can be subject to hydrogen embrittlement particularly in higher carbon steel content. I truly think the weakest point is the weld, particularly if poorly done.

Trailers <2.5T must be fitted with at least 1 chain of at least 9.5mm dia. Over this and up to 3.5T 2 chains and comply with AS4177-4.

My van has an ATM of 1800kg, so could be fitted with 1 chain. It has 2. Also each chain is bolted to the A frame using high tensile bolts in shear, each stronger than any other point.

The other weak point could be the towbar where the shackles fit. So it all comes down to the quality and adherence to standards and not just the shackles.

I've seen on caravan forums where people have picked up their new van to find the chains too short to reach their towbar and been given solutions such as;
  • Use enough shackles joined in line to make the distance.[/*]
  • Join another piece of chain using a shackle [/*]

Is better than no chain, but both wrong.

If 2 chains are used, they should be crossed under the draw bar, be long enough to cater for maximum turn, but short enough to carry the draw bar to stop it digging into the ground.

Here's a link to a guide. http://www.towingguide.com.au/content/couplings.html

It states that safety chains should be stamped with;

"The chains capacity, the manufacturers identification and the digits 4177."

Just as Vehicles are governed by ADRs (Australian Design Rules), so are trailers (the link is for trailers of ATM < 4.5T)

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/vsb1/

This ADR actually states the formulae that must be used in calculating chain working load limits. It also has a brief statement re welding of chains.

Another word of warning - Be careful when setting up to tow, some vehicles state with a WARNING to NOT use load levelling devices such as Hayman Reese. I know this because my 4x4 has this warning. This is for a number of reasons (the above ADR has comments re this) i.e. the vehicle chassis, suspension or towbar are not designed to take the loads of using them. So check your vehicle handbook.

Further, more often than not, it is not the ATM of the towed load that limits what you can tow, it is the tow ball download. My vehicle has a 2250kg tow limit and a 225 ball limit. However, it has a kerb weight (KW) of 2000kg and an GVM of 2510kg. I have a roof rack, bull bar, awning, fridge, aux battery etc they all up add 200kg to KW. Add me and the missus and my vehicle now weighs 2370, so without any luggage, I have 160kg left for a ball. The only way I can increase ball weight is to reduce something else.

Most vans work on 10% ball weight of ATM, so my van ATM should be no more than 1600kg to stay legal.

Latest posts