Vehicles...

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horse

Glen
Reaction score
I saw a few jokes about LS and his Honda accord.

When I lived and worked at Hill End...I had a Fort Cortina...squarish shape 4 cylinder.
Picked that thing up for $300

It went to Bathurst weekly...before the good road was there. That was its easy work.
Bridle track, crossing the Turon ( had to know the spot to do it)
In and around Tambaroora creek and Red Hill , bashing around up behind the racecourse to get as close to spots as I could.
Wyndeyer, Pyramul.

4wd is a nice advantage...but not always a necessity.
Getting in was sometimes hard, getting out was sometimes crazy...no mobile back then so it was get it out or walk home....and I did not like the later option.

Sometimes you just have to make do with what ya got...not everyone is made of $$ and $$ is not a requirement to go fossicking if you really have the itch for a dig.

I have had 2 x Pajeros and now own an Xtrail...and never have I had the fun I had in that $300 bush bashing barely registrable cortina beast.

I feel you Horse, I used to have a TC Cortina, but mine had the 250 cube Falcon 6 in it stock. Hell that thing moved.....

My work runaround is an old Barina Mrs Ramjet bought for $800 with a blown head gasket. Spent $300 doing the head up and it hasn't missed a beat in 5 years. I laugh at the young guys at work complaining their $30000 cars are getting coal dust all over them. My car cost less than their tyres. She bought it because too many people are getting knocked off motorbikes and she thought I'd be next. I must admit I don't miss the cold, wet rides home in winter.

Horse said:
I saw a few jokes about LS and his Honda accord.

When I lived and worked at Hill End...I had a Fort Cortina...squarish shape 4 cylinder.
Picked that thing up for $300

It went to Bathurst weekly...before the good road was there. That was its easy work.
Bridle track, crossing the Turon ( had to know the spot to do it)
In and around Tambaroora creek and Red Hill , bashing around up behind the racecourse to get as close to spots as I could.
Wyndeyer, Pyramul.

4wd is a nice advantage...but not always a necessity.
Getting in was sometimes hard, getting out was sometimes crazy...no mobile back then so it was get it out or walk home....and I did not like the later option.

Sometimes you just have to make do with what ya got...not everyone is made of $$ and $$ is not a requirement to go fossicking if you really have the itch for a dig.

I have had 2 x Pajeros and now own an Xtrail...and never have I had the fun I had in that $300 bush bashing barely registrable cortina beast.

That's a great sounding story. And yes 4x4 isnt a necessity ,,
Totally agree with making do with what you have mate . All in a bit of fun . I'm sure LS understands . As he has told me in private messages that he laughs along . :lol:
But really ....AN XTRAIL. Just joking hehe cheers mate :)

In Victoria in many cases these are solid dirt track roads and a 4x4 is not needed.

There are some areas though if you want to get off the beaten track then you need a 4x4.

Andyndan said:
Totally agree with making do with what you have mate . All in a bit of fun . I'm sure LS understands . As he has told me in private messages that he laughs along . :lol:

Yeah an Xtrail lol ...but looking at selling and moving into a High Rise apartment...oops I mean a high lift Hilux.
Always wanted one of them ...not new....older model around 2006 ....love the look of them.

Horse said:
Andyndan said:

Yeah an Xtrail lol ...but looking at selling and moving into a High Rise apartment...oops I mean a high lift Hilux.
Always wanted one of them ...not new....older model around 2006 ....love the look of them.

There were a few recalls on the 2006. But they weren't big issues. Yeh they look great. I'm a landcruiser man myself . But the v8 diesel is a little thirsty if you keep all the lead shot you find inside your boot. And no thanks to a high rise apartment lol I can only handle a few hours in the city and I go wacko. 8)

condor22 said:
I feel you Horse, I used to have a TC Cortina, but mine had the 250 cube Falcon 6 in it stock. Hell that thing moved.....

Hehe, I had one of those, 250 crossflow, 4 on the floor. geez that thing hammered.

Redfin said:
condor22 said:

Hehe, I had one of those, 250 crossflow, 4 on the floor. geez that thing hammered.
yep ditto mate and it was Green !!! Shite it moved. :cool:

All paddock bashers are more fun than your fancy bells and whistles 4x4. It's the price that makes em fun. If it breaks you just don't care so you try things you normally wouldn't and often surprise yourself with what a clapped out car can achieve. My own favourite is my mitsubishi express ute.. Bought it for $100 with half a tank of fuel from a mate who bought it for $700 as a first car.

A lot of memories in that car. my mate named it the Uterus or Ute for short and we'd take that car everywhere from schoolies to the beach and down any 4x4 track we could find. The worse the better and the harder we'd drive it in the hope we might break something because back then that'd be way cool. The rust holes in the floor and tray were fist size and his Dad always joked about having to load up 1.5 tonnes of gravel in order to arrive home with a tonne. I remember a classic moment at schoolies week as we were stopped by police who were checking for unlicensed drivers. My mate was biting his nails as the officer knocked on his window. He was certain his rust bucket would cop a defect notice. Another mate and i were crammed in the front seat with him already loaded up on the liquor without a worry in the world and as he wound down the window the officer asks him for his license. He's fumbling with his wallet and drops it on the floor or at least what should be the floor. His wallet falls through a rust hole and lands on the road under the car. The officer casually reaches under the car and retrieves the wallet. He tells my mate he might wanna put some duct tape over that hole and hands him back the wallet.

I've owned it for 10 years since then and use it for everything from lugging firewood to regular bush bashing and the only thing I've done in that time is a couple oil changes and required 2 replacement batteries. Not even the tires have been changed since my mate owned it. Still starts first turn of the key..

goldtruck59 said:
Redfin said:
condor22 said:

yep ditto mate and it was Green !!! Shite it moved. :cool:

Mine was a Red one, need I say more

The body and upholstery fell apart, but the engine was still good when I sent it to wrecker heaven

On a slight thread drift:

My first vehicle was an Honda XR75. $25. Age 10.

It came in a cardboard box in pieces. Missing a few pieces, some extra pieces in other areas......

I had been nagging my old man for years and years. He finally caved in.......with a twist. I had to put it together. Possibly the best life lessons a young guy had to learn - patience, logic, humility, more patience, project management etc etc.

Of course I did not see it that way at the time......... But I certainly appreciate what I willingly had to learn to achieve a goal. Want it bad enough - make it happen.

I was given a datsun ute 10 years ago.. We fitted a lsd diff and use snow chains in the mud..... Still got the dato and I will not part with it.. :)

I also had a xr75 as my first means of transport, simply the best small dirt bike ever, I believe they now fetch good coin as collectibles. So many memories carving tracks through the scrub on the road verge to get down the general store for a pack of durries and a can of coke. The first vehicle I had was a mini panel van with a solenoid starter, four speed box and bald tyres(best paddock bomb ever).
Until me and my mates decided it needed to be taken to with a sledgehammer and axe because it broke down.

Ahh misspent youth !

Bs545

Over the last 10 years' iv had some pretty big 4x4 one of which was a land cruiser 75' ute running 37's and diff locks, now iv got a Kia Rio i got dumped with when we got mum a new car. In the end it did so good of fuel and I couldn't care less if I had to walk out and leave it behind i gave mum $1000 to cover rego insurance etc... Overall the cheepest car and surprising where you can get when you don't care' when I head into somewhere that might test the car out I take my hiking pack.

So here is my prospecting bus....I lovingly call it the 'Venga Bus' and everytime I think about it that tune comes into my head.. it is 1.6 litres of pure unadulterated raw grunt :D
1426046718_photo-0342.jpg

I have taken it off the beaten track many times and now have a good feel for what it is capable of. It uses as much oil as fuel and never let me down but rest assured when it does it will be staying where it falls. Owes me nothing and fits all my gear in it with the seats folded down...dry blower, buckets, picks, pans, shovels and spare oil for the trip home!
I have owned a Suzi Vitara 4x4 which I was also laughed at but that thing went most places and could do a multi point turn on the narrowest of goat tracks if needed. Wish I still had it but was a bit on the small side for the dry blower... :mad:

Almost any car will get you to where you want to go, look at the first cars and where they went ! You wouldn't even take rigged out 4WD to some of these places. The thing you have to look at is the comfort and performance on where you go.

As example, we went away for the weekend and took my son with me (who wants a 4WD) he mentioned his current car would go where we went, and I agreed a standard Toyota Corolla would have gone where we went. If it had rained would have been a totally different experience.

My mate has a 90's GQ Patrol trayback, and I have a 06 Prado now bearing in mind different cars and years, but the difference on corrugations was extreme. I have just been through an upgrade of suspension, tyres, brakes etc... I was sitting on 80+kph easy in any of the road conditions, when it went to bad corrugations my mate was down to crawl. This would have been the case had my son brought his Corolla it would have made it but it would have been shaken to hell and not a fun ride.

I will take a modern 4WD any day :)

Latest posts