Using a GP3500 for Roman treasure in the UK

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wags76

Wayne
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

New to the forum and detecting!

I got my self a GP3500 when working in WA. only took it out a few times then move back to NSW where the GP3500 has been sitting in its box for some years now.

I'm going over sea's to UK in December to visit the oldies. My dad belongs to a metal detecting club that go's out looking for Roman coins and spear heads that kind of stuff.

Can you please tell me how well the GP3500 will work in detecting those kind of treasure's. My dad uses a Garrett Ace 250. I have no idea on them and I'm still in the process of learning how my GP3500 works. I never found a nugget but plenty of bullets and rubbish.

What coil would be best and settings.

It just has the standard 11" DD coil.

Thanks

Wags76, I would have no hesitations on taking a gp3500 looking for deep treasure. Make sure you take a DD coil with you. You can use the DD coil in Iron discrimination mode and if your in an area with high voltage lines you could use cancel mode to run in these areas. The only problem i could see is if the area is littered with iron and from what i see on youtube a lot of these sights are? Isn't some of these Roman coins made from Iron? :)

Thanks Roscoe,

I only have the one DD coil so that's done.
As for different setting in will look at the manual to see what you mean with using it in iron discrimination mode. I guess the magnetic field from power line can play havoc with the unit.
I'm have a lot to learn when it comes to using it. I just set it up using the manual quick set process. Tune and off I go. have no idea in fine tune it.
Chatting to my dad they find a lot of buckles and buttons. Bits off horse tack . The coins are gold and silver. Most of the coils are defaced and only small parts of the stamp is noticeable. That's what they hope to find most. Spear heads are all ways interesting too. Lots of rubbish but what he means by that I'm not sure. I found a lot of rubbish in Kalgoorlie which where bullets, nails and bottle tops so if that's what he means then there litter of iron every where.

Thanks for your reply. :D

Your welcome mate, i hope you have a very successful trip. :) The GP3500 has a auto tune and a manual tune for selecting its channel to run on. The channel it runs on is very important to help eliminate EMI. The manual tune was one of the features that the GP3500 had that the other GP series didn't. With the DD coil in cancel mode you will loose some depth, but the machine will run well very close to power lines. Try the Normal timings first in DD mode with Iron Disc on, not to much disc as this could knock out small gold objects and large silver objects as well. If the machine runs to erratic then switch to cancel mode. The GP3500 is a great machine and you should fined some very very deep targets over there. Don't forget to post some of your finds, it will be good to see how you went. :)

Don't forget to take lots of good quality photos of your adventures to share with us all when you get back, and keep in touch with the Forum while you are over there in case anyone decides to do a bit of research for you to help you in the search.

I just got a email from the old boy. He was saying that most targets are down between 8" to 10" deep and don't dig any more than 15" to 18" down.
Most areas they work are cropping paddocks. They are ploughed up yearly and each time more artefacts are moved closer to the surface.

As for manually setting the unit I would not have a clue if I have set it right or not. I'm as green as they come as I have never had any one show me or explain how.

Is they any DVD's that show Dummies how to use a GP3500. YouTube show plenty of detecting but not yet seen how to set one up manually. So at this stage I just use it after the auto tune.

That's why I thank you again for your advice.

And yes if I'm lucky to find any thing I'm happy to show all. :D

Latest posts