Using a dredge in Australia for recreational prospecting is illegal - information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the report I mentioned earlier it's a big read and 23 years old:

http://www.parliament.vic.gov.au/papers/govpub/VPARL1992-94No86.pdf

It does not define the legal legislation I'll leave that to you to research but references legal cases based on it. On topic is the definition of dredging on page 9&10 (about 54 pages in) so gravity dredging is definitely out by that definition.

At the end of the document is the minority report which basically says there is no evidence of harmful effects of dredging on a small scale, that dredging may help the environment by removal of lead etc. and recommends reintroduction of amateur dredging... :) There's obviously more than this document alone on the subject for dredging to remain illegal.

Jon

I know the reason why small scale dredging is not allowed.
I can not support illegal activities in my standing for what I
am involved with nor will I support law breaking.

A 2" dredge or gravity suction is next to negligible environmental
impact. Yes, An idiot with either a shovel and pick can do just as
much damage as a small dredge used wrongly and that has been proved many a time.
This type make it bloody hard for us.
What we are faced with is folks going out of their way to absolutely have
no respect for both others who enjoy our hobby and most importantly the land.

It makes it even harder to keep access to places we all like to go to and have a
scratch and Sniff when non Law Abiding people who do not give a rats bum
apart from how much Gold or Mineral they can savage in a small time frame.
These are the type that apart from leaving their rubbish lying around, Make
it harder for us to simply go bush for a few days to enjoy our great out doors.

Please, Do not even thing about sucking material through any means by what ever
idea you have thought up to get around the regulations.
It will not work and will make it harder for us as the rabid Greenies will use it as an
excuse to slam us even harder.

I myself totally respect the land and I wish to be able to enjoy getting out there for
many years to come enjoying my favorite hobby like every one else.

If only I could stop talking all the time. LOL

I'm with Tath. I reckon highbanking strikes a good balance where lots of hard yakka is required for a bit of reward. If you want to make money out of fossicking get a mining lease.
Jon

NPAFA and PMAV are working to keep our area's open and
it is down right hard when an idiot greedy person does the wrong thing.
No need to go any further.
Just follow the rules and regs and it will make it justifiable for us to enjoy
what we have.
There will be one in every crowd.
Oh, I will not lock the topic and invite others to share their opinion. :D :D

This makes me laugh....everyone jumps on people for trying to reinterpret the rules and regs..to process more material...and to get more gold...but you all run pumps..(Machinery)....to process your alluvial gravel....Which no mater what your interpretation of the act is ...its still illegal....but you all still do it....because you get away with it....i mean No disrespect to you tathradj...but as i said it makes me laugh...and sorry but i just had to say it :D :D

NSW

Its not illegal to pump water to a high banker as the NAPHA meeting made clear that government regulations are trying to reduce the size of hoses used to take water to the HB. If it was illegal to pump water the government wouldn't be trying to regulate hose size .

It is a laugh Smokey.
And I know where you are going.
So do you use a High Banker. ?
Hope you do.
I do but I use it properly. And have been "Caught" using it.
Ended up with a crowd of public servants ooohing and aaahing.
Wondering why it was so wrong. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just the way the law has been screwed around.
A Grey Area.
Dredging is illegal.
In any form. :)

Keerectamondo my Farmer Friend. :) :)
Also the type of hose so the banker can not be turned into a dredge.
I helped write that one.

aussiefarmer said:
Its not illegal to pump water to a high banker as the NAPHA meeting made clear that government regulations are trying to reduce the size of hoses used to take water to the HB. If it was illegal to pump water the government wouldn't be trying to regulate hose size .

I wish i could use a highbanker mate.....but you cant in qld...well you can you just cant use a pump to pump water...water has to be bucket feed...and in no way do i support the use of a dredge..just so we are clear...Im not having a go at anyone in particular....Just had to have my vent...and probably shouldnt have :D :D :D Happy hunting to you all :eek: :D

First ya gunna need a good nozzle on the end of your pump hose. ;)
1485508470_images-7.jpg

And upgrade your pump to the max. :D
Just to get a bit of pressure.
1485508496_2017-01-27-19-12-16--1110529538.jpg

1485508560_images-5.jpg

Your trench will have washed out a fair while ago by this stage. 8)
1485508588_images.jpg

So you will need to channel all the slurry that now used to be hillside through one of these. :p
1485508648_images-2.jpg

And now just go through and pull all the big nuggets and put them in a bucket (don't forget the bucket) :eek:
1485508673_2017-01-27-19-12-21-1813769467.jpg

All this started with a little idea about getting the water up there like it was raining heavily ! :eek:

Your more than welcome Smokey.
But,
You can pump to a tank then gravity feed back again. :) :)
Just in Banana Country you can not use pumps connected to
your equipment or " Take " the water any where.

I reckon if your gunna do it just get the old red fire hose nozzle and put your sluice between the two holes then go for your life :lol: Nah really its like yobskin has said you would be classed as hydraulic sluicing and using any type of suction to move material is classed as dredging full stop. And would it be worth the fine and perhaps having all your equipment confiscated personally I don't, it wouldn't be as viable as you may think though they tell me that they great results from using a standard dredge ;) that you can purchase online... my advise would be just stay within the rules and you cant go wrong instead of flirting with any grey areas of the rule book..

What if i farmed Catfish and carp and painted the food pellets gold until they were trained to only eat gold colored things then release them into holes in the river gave them a week then pumped the river dry .
Then fire up the smoke house and gut the fish and sluiced their gizzzards .

Latest posts