Useful tools when detecting rocky gullies - suggestions please?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

am about to do my first prospecting in rocky terrain. Basically it is a series of dry gullies in a rocky/hilly area with known gold veins, and I am hoping to find small nuggets in the crevices in the gully floor.

This will be my first attempt at this sort of thing - have used my X-terra for coins/etc fun in backyards and beaches, but have not yet done this sort of work.

I would really appreciate any advice as to what kit would be helpful in such terrain - maybe brushes for crevices? Small plastic shovel? Pack for water, etc? Shade?

Want to tap into the experience others have - all the little suggestions :)

Cheers in advance....

juan said:
Hi all,

am about to do my first prospecting in rocky terrain. Basically it is a series of dry gullies in a rocky/hilly area with known gold veins, and I am hoping to find small nuggets in the crevices in the gully floor.

This will be my first attempt at this sort of thing - have used my X-terra for coins/etc fun in backyards and beaches, but have not yet done this sort of work.

I would really appreciate any advice as to what kit would be helpful in such terrain - maybe brushes for crevices? Small plastic shovel? Pack for water, etc? Shade?

Want to tap into the experience others have - all the little suggestions :)

Cheers in advance....
Get the hf 6inch coil..if you havnt already ..it will give you your best chance of a nug..search the cracks and holes in and around the bedrock..listen for those faint short low tones as they could be little nugs..That coil will pick up a bit around the 0.15g down an inch or so in mild ground.Use headphones and swing slowly..working small areas at a time ....run detector hot .(sensitivity high)...and in tracking..you will get a lot of false targets but tracking will cancel them out quickly.a real target will be a repeated tone..good luck :Y:

Latest posts