Unmarked coil - Is it a Mono or a DD

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreamwalking

Peter
Reaction score
Having recently acquired a used coil from a charity shop, I am asking whether anyone can tell me what is the easiest / best way to identify whether the coil is a Mono or a DD.
There is no information labels left on the coil other than the brand name of MineLab. It's design and connecting plug is that of a standard round 11" Commando.

Thank you ... Peter

Hi mate, If the Cable is perfectly round then It is a Mono coil, If it has two flat sides & two round sides it is a DD coil.

Redfin :: You have me a bit lost in understanding your reply ... the unknown coil I have is perfectly round not spoked like a open DD coil.....on reading your reply I went and viewed my old GPX5000 standard issue 11" Commander coils which are both perfectly round, one is a DD the other Mono...If I was to lose the identification labels on them, there would be no visual way to determine which one is which.
The coil I acquired is going to be cut open --- curiosity --- but I thought if I wanted to use this coil how would I firstly know what type it was even before I questioned its suitability.

He was referring to the connection cable. It's profile will differ depending on DD or mono. If you check the cable on your existing cables there you will see a clear difference. I don't have a mono cable to take a pic of but if you look at them side by side the difference will be seen.

Coil shape will not help identify the type of coil in the same way.

Redfin::: LOL ... my apologies to you, your are right with your answer ... I revisited my coils junk box....Pulled out two commander coils and began to re-examine them, this time with my glasses on .. in my hast I had previously pulled two Mono coils, I had forgot that I had been given a spare coil back in the past, consequently I pulled out two Commander Mono's, believing I only had a set of 11" Commander's, with touch there was no difference between the two coil cables and I moved my focus on to the coils trying to apply your reply to the physical shape.

So ... it is the cable that tells all ... but in your wisdom can you say that this is true for all coils?

Thanx again Peter.

No worries mate. To answer your other question if your referring to pi cables then yes the cable profile will hold true. I'm not sure about vlf and variants, but pi I understand to be true across manufacturers. But I'm no detectorist I only made mention as Redfin had logged off and because it's new years you might get the chance to test it out.

Hi mate, it only applies to minelab coils that I am aware of.

Use a pinpointer, you'll be able to find the windings easily.

easy to tell the difference put it onto the detector switch it to cancel mode then place a small target over the centre of coil if its a dd it will still work regards john :)

Great info guys ... Thank you all ... as its said if you don't ask you wont know.

Cheers all, catch you when I get back from my swinging in the GT for the next two (hot) weeks.

Peter

Latest posts