UNI blues

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unreal.........
Years ago I was good at maths and physics etc....
got my electronics engineering thing........
Realised the world was going to be bowing on bended knee to the Chinese and gave up......
Well done for pursuing you task, geophysics? I dont envy you!!! :)

Thanks guys, after spending way too long trying to solve it how I thought it needed to be done, I have come to the conclusion that DD and gold miner were right on the money.
It is a linear equation and the answer is x=-1
I guess if nothing else I proved to myself it can't be done any other way 8)

Use it wisely my son.....

http://ww w.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=1%2F2x+-+2x+%3D+3%2F2

FF.

PS; remove the space in 3 dubs.... i have been avery naughty boy, posting a link without 10 posts :eek: ;)

Cheers FF. I will check it out. I think the rate iam going i will start to see numbers in my sleep.

Iam kind of glad i did not hand the assignment in but tourchered myself for a few more hours.
The teacher did a last minute leacture and explained the question a bit and how it was ment to be asnwered.
They did want it solved as a quadratic equation and i was on the right track before but my working was slightly wrong.

1/2x - 2x=3/2

= 1-4x^2=3/2(2x) when multiplying the 2x i did 6x/2 but it is 3/2(2x) which is 3x

= 1-4x^2=3x which transposes to

-4x^2-3x+1=0 which is a quadratic, then with the magic formula which i have no idea how to put to text you get

3+-5/-8

so x= -1 or x=0.25

Still not 100% but will find out when i get it marked, at least it seems to work out now :D

Thats great that you are pursuing this Ian, whatever you do, persevere. It will be worth it. The maths is a great way to keep the grey matter working, I have just bought some high school maths books as away to exercise my brain, now to make the time to do it!! Also great to see DD posting, have missed reading your adventures Trent. Ian, what Uni are you doing the course thru? Cheers geoff n Grace.

G'day Geoff, doing the course through University of New England.
The hardest part so far is learning to study around the kids. Iam lucky I was used to late nights as I have had most of my study time from 8pm till 3pm 8)

Just showed this to my misso who is Korean and she belted out the answer in about 5 secs..
She reckons thats the equivalent of yr 8 maths in Korea...
I looked at the problem, walked to fridge and cracked a beer and like you Ian did my head in for a few hrs.

If you need a hand the misso would be a good tutor but mess up she'll belt you with her stick..well at least that's what she does to me.

Ian it surprised me as you know I am looking at Earth science course at Uni as well and told her the there was heaps of maths and algebra and was concerned that the 20 year absence from study might have me on the back foot at the very least, so she asked to look at the problem and when whammo, that was easy stuff. At least she can help me and she said happy to help you if you get stuck.

Latest posts