Two empty sardine tins and a load of........

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just got back from 10 days detecting north of Maryborough.First it was too cold to camp out in a tent for more than a week, and the pick up van was even colder. it was around 0 C every night. Found a brass button,a old rusted bent nail and some thin lead sheet. My wife found the lead and she never used a detector before.Area very hot ground further up the gully and was done to death by prospectors.Some one came at midnight and dumped their toilet contents near our car and walked around our camp. I was sound asleep but my wife coped it.

Hi all, that doesn't sound to good at all. I guess you at least found something.
Jim

Sounds like you had a horrible time... :N:

From my experience, everyone I have met randomly in field have been friendly and more that happy to have a chat. I wouldn't be put off, I'm sure it was just a once off.
It can only get better from that experience onwards :Y: :D

You forgot to mention the 2 sardine tin cans ]:D
Two empty sardine tins and a load of........

Ten days without a shower camping and the cold made it a very unpleasant experience as we had no heating.Due to the lack of hygiene I got a gastro infection and a urinary infection.Had some antibiotics left at home from a previous urinary infection-Ibilex 500 capsules. red blotches cleared up in 3 days so not too serious.Must see the doctor for new supply.Saw a guy arrive where I was detecting and said hello but he did not answer back,maybe partially deaf or maybe he caught my smell downwind :8 .But people in cars wave on Slaughteryard Track so we were happy.Next trip to Wedderburn hoping for milder overnight temps but the forecast there shows its not any warmer at night than Maryborough.Can,t use LPG heating in the pick up van due to CO2 buildup. Solar panel, 12 v heater and a suitable battery would set me back about $800.My wife said the tent was warmer than the van in the early mornings.It is a DUNE 9 model and we covered it over with an OZ TRAIL tarp so the inside did not get wet from the dew at night.May be forced to evaluate this detecting business if the cold knocks us around too much and we are looking to find a cheaper heating solution to the brutal cold.It is possible to use an LPG heater in the tent as it is ventilated.We like and enjoy the free camping lifestyle on the goldfields but only during the winter.We had some good times around the campfire as my wife surprised me by burying potatoes in the embers for 30 minutes Russian style,and we barbecued some delicious Bratwurst sausages on the embers to round the day off.We forgot to bring the grog,oops :8 :mad: those Brats made us very thirsty.

madhatter. Can,t understand why the site did not publish my heading properly."Two empty sardine tins and a load of tu..s. meaning poo. Maybe I should have written "excrement" as it probably is in the English dictionary.

God sees this OT maybe pray a bit more or don't read posts that annoy you.
Darn it sorry started on religious rant.

Hey Rob, so here's the million dollar question - why do you only like freestyle camping during Winter if the cold knocks you around so much? There's other seasons during the year such as Spring and Autumn you know? Hell, I've even heard of Summer ;)
Maybe the guy dumped his toilet contents there to drop you a hint?
Also be wary of LPG heaters in a tent when there's no breeze (like most cold nights in the bush), but maybe your vapours would displace/neutralise the monoxide?
Mate, there's showers at most of the campgrounds out there. Some like the ones at Talbot (a bit rough) just require a gold coin donation. Others around $5 (unless the manager sees you as really filthy :lol:). It doesn't cost much to stay clean with a towel and a bar of soap - way cheaper than going to the doctor, getting a divorce or worse - living with yourself in that condition :D :D :D
Makes detecting for sardine tins way more pleasurable ;)

These days with the recent flood of gold mining TV shows it seems so easy. They give the impression that all you have to do is show up with an excavator and a wash plant and youll start pulling out nuggets. Often these shows have some arbitrary budget that the miner needs to reach by the end of the season. Just seeing numbers like $500,000 per season will get anyone excited. You may be thinking if they can get that I can at least get $1000 on a random claim. Spending an hour per night watching guys pour jars full of gold flakes on shows like Yukon Gold or Gold Rush Alaska will fuel unrealistic expectations.

The fact is gold is valuable because it is incredibly rare. The value is largely due to the sweat equity of prospectors and miners who have spent lifetimes searching for the yellow metal. It will be a long road to get your first jar full of gold or even a vial for that matter. Prospecting for gold has an incredibly poor success rate. You will put in hard work, digging, hiking and panning for long hours and wont see more than a color. Some days you wont even see that. Gold is defiantly out there but dont expect to see any in your first pan.

If your expectations are of finding huge amounts of Gold, its not going to happen. The gold rush was years ago.
If you don,t like camping in Winter wait till the weather improves.

I am starting to think many newbies to prospecting would be better off buying gold bullion rather than equipment to go and look were all the gold no longer exists.

Swinging & digging said:
These days with the recent flood of gold mining TV shows it seems so easy. They give the impression that all you have to do is show up with an excavator and a wash plant and youll start pulling out nuggets. Often these shows have some arbitrary budget that the miner needs to reach by the end of the season. Just seeing numbers like $500,000 per season will get anyone excited. You may be thinking if they can get that I can at least get $1000 on a random claim. Spending an hour per night watching guys pour jars full of gold flakes on shows like Yukon Gold or Gold Rush Alaska will fuel unrealistic expectations.

The fact is gold is valuable because it is incredibly rare. The value is largely due to the sweat equity of prospectors and miners who have spent lifetimes searching for the yellow metal. It will be a long road to get your first jar full of gold or even a vial for that matter. Prospecting for gold has an incredibly poor success rate. You will put in hard work, digging, hiking and panning for long hours and wont see more than a color. Some days you wont even see that. Gold is defiantly out there but dont expect to see any in your first pan.

If your expectations are of finding huge amounts of Gold, its not going to happen. The gold rush was years ago.
If you don,t like camping in Winter wait till the weather improves.

I am starting to think many newbies to prospecting would be better off buying gold bullion rather than equipment to go and look were all the gold no longer exists.

You are right about the TV shows, people watch them and think they are documentaries, even the Aussie one, but they are all totally scripted and no different to Days of our Lives or the other soapies. It wouldn't be much fun watching if it was real, following people around for hours and most times finding nothing or very little.

Camping in the cold is ok IF you're set up for it properly, a few pointers for you in no particular order

1/ The tarp over the tent is a start, but if you can leave an air gap between the tent and the tarp it will be much better, cheap pool noodles are good for this

2/ A very good sleeping bag, if you can't afford a good 1 , go to "spotlight" and get several metres of "polar fleece" and cut it into lengths long enough to completely cover you, head to toe.

3/ When you sit around the fire you can drape this same polar fleece over your chairs, keeps your back and bum warm

4/ Personal cleanliness is easy, 1 cup boiling water, 3 cups cold water in a small container and a face washer will give you a "pits and crutch" and a light wash every day.

5/ Thermal underwear is pretty cheap and effective, along with a "beenie" and waterproof gloves.

6/ A metal bucket with a few litres of water in it left beside the fire will give you lots of hot water for quick drinks, cuppasoup, noodles in a cup, etc and washing.

7/ Hot water bottles to pre heat your bed, re use the water tomorrow

8/ NEVER EVER FORGET THE BOOZE

Have a look at www.myswag.org as well, an absolute "gold mine" of information there

cheers Keith

Or you just have to make up an portable diesel heater and be warm all night, i have one in the camper trailer and it is magic :Y:

MartinM said:
Or you just have to make up an portable diesel heater and be warm all night, i have one in the camper trailer and it is magic :Y:

Hey Martin how is that going mate? What did you fork out for that? I was thinking of mounting one in an aluminium box and have the vents going to the tent.
With that control panel, is the thermostat in there? And how long is that wiring loom?

FYI - Showers

1. Tarnagulla Oval, gold coin operated (the old change rooms)
2. Talbot Football Club, rough and ready, but hot n wet.
3. Maryborough Indoor Pool, last time I went there it was $5 pp for swim and shower or $3 pp for a shower only. Go to the entry counter, tell em you want a shower only and that's all you pay for. Until I go my shower van that's where I went.

Perhaps others know of more, but if you go to any caravan park and ask to use the showers and ask the cost, the worst they can do is say no.

I seem to remember that the Teddington Weir CG has toilets and another empty room which can be used for bush showers if you can heat your own water..... :)

nucopia said:
Some great tips there xcvator
Polar fleece for the camp chairs in winter is a good idea might check out spotlight later today...

This'll beat polar fleece for a quick fix.

1497681344_fire_under_seat.jpg

Just keep the shovel handy for regular top-ups from the campfire :)

Latest posts