Tuff location to get access.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been trying to gain access to 6mile creek with no success. All road/bridge access points are heavily barbed up with private property signs. And no one is willing to give me permission.
I haven't found anything that says there's gold there but i got a hunch there might be?
So if ya cant go through it and ya cant go over it and ya cant go under it i'm gunna go around it and booked the family in for a camping trip at Cobb n Co 9mile camp grounds situated right on 6mile creek.... :D 1st time camping with a kiwi mrs whom hates dirt n bugs with a 5 and 3 year old ha ha ha it was punishing....i setup camp in swamp 5m away from billabong...20m away from creek...it was great 1000s of mozzies ( banksy they were the SAS type) 3 cans of tropical strength later im pan in hand hitting the creek i found iron sand trapped in cracks on a log so i filled me pan and it was like sandy material... decomposed granite??? Shale?? Heaps of bedrock and quartz river pebbles...i got half a pan full of black sand!!! Absolutely absurd amount! I found a tiny spec in it. I also had 20 odd kids there with there mums asking me millions of questions. Ha ha ha ha the mums didn't think anyone did it anymore..died off with the gold rush..so i gave them me last adventure story of our PA meetup they were wrapped!
So once they all ran off to get there pans n permits the SAS (mozzies)decided to give it to me!! They were eating me through my girly army shirt n pants!!! I had to jump in the water it was that bad then make a run for it back to camp No Joke!!! Took several ales to get over the ordeal. ;) .
I will return during winter give it another shot.....i only just touched the surface there ....no pics as i didn't take any tech with us. :D

This story was funnier than some of the jokes in The Comedy Shack forum. :D

Good job, ys - you've obviously got the true blue prospector spirit of the oldtimers. Now all you need is some gold to show for your hard work and suffering!

Damn Mozzies ruin everything sometimes. At Inverell last time it was like the flies were attracted to the tropical strength aeroguard, there was no difference between using it and not using it, actually I think not using it there were less of them. Getting a fly veil for the next trip. Some poor older bloke inhaled one and did not look well.

Glad you got access to the creek, great way to do it. I'm thinking of renting a property in the Goldfields one day for 6 months or a year, pretty cheap rents in some Central West areas of NSW, will see if a few people are interested in chipping in when I do it.

Love your spirit Yobs, you have got to give it a go or you will never know.

As for that shirt, I am surprised the kids could see you panning and I think the sloping pockets work well in rough terrain. Growing a set of man-boobs is your other option. :lol:

Hahahaha Wally69 i reckon they would get in the way... :D .
Ive been smashed plenty of times fishing in mangroves...but these things were bad.. ya couldnt hear them or see them till they filled there tanks!!!
Mrs yobskin was laughing her head off at me running back flaying my arms around covered in mud yelling obsanities at my invisible freind! Hahaha im laughing about it now....scratching away.

Hehe had a chuckle..........goods signs though mate.

Loads of black sand (heavily mineralized), color in pan, i would be arming myself with some 'Bushmans' 80% deet and sneaking back there for further investigations.

Good luck ;)

I played a round of golf at Redcliffe Golf Club north of Brisbane a few years back and them mozzies were as thick as you could imagine. I was using bushmans spray and they just drank it and came back for seconds. I demanded my money back, but to no avail!!!
Mozzies1, Jaros-0.
8.( :8

Its gotta be the cream Jaros......the spray is not available in 80% deet, its only 40%

Smother it on like Rambo and they wont come near ya.....neither will anyone else.

We used it with good success in Darwin anyway, and the suckers up there are huge.

One landed at Darwin airport and they put 90 litres into it before they realized it was a mozzie.... :eek:

He he, yes mate but it was bloody hard to hold the clubs with all that "gunk" on my hands. I haven't played for 10 yrs now worse luck (back probs).
Just use a Pestrol Plug In unit at home and keeps mice,moths, silverfish, mozzies as well as cockroaches out of the castle.
:p

Mrs yobskin just bought back battery powered automatic bug sprayers and ambi pur air freshners for our next trip......she has gone glamping mode on me. I used to go with swag,billy,iron oven and can food some flour salt for damper now im guna need a trailer .....in a year 4x4. ;)

yobskin said:
Mrs yobskin just bought back battery powered automatic bug sprayers and ambi pur air freshners for our next trip......she has gone glamping mode on me. I used to go with swag,billy,iron oven and can food some flour salt for damper now im guna need a trailer .....in a year 4x4. ;)
That's a small price to pay if you want her along on the trips, you can always rough it when going solo. I'm in the same boat here with Mrs PP and it's not bad for something different.

ha ha...what a crack up Yobskin! Mozzies are a mongrel and for some reason they love my ankles and feet....they go nuts for them.

I recall doing the same thing numerous times

Great story mate

Mate what a crack up....
Good chuckle....
Try Natures Botanical Cream/Spray/Rollon...
Not cheep but it works.....
Available from Horse Suply Shops much better than DEET based Products....

Cheers Nanjim
Jim

Latest posts