Trunkey creek , and junction point areas

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunter

Karl Wagner
Reaction score
Hey folks

I see on Doug stones maps there are a few accessible areas in trunkey creek , and state forests west of trunkey . Anyone had any luck detecting in those areas ?

I also see junction point and nuggety gully , south of turns shown as accessible on his maps , but when I paused there I saw locked gates and no tresspassing signs ! Anyone have any knowledge of those areas ?

Thanks

Gunter

To my knowledge all junction point is offlimits , most the gold there was in deep reefs/shafts and theres no surfaced areas i have ever seen, back when you could access the creek i spent half a day and couldnt even get a spec in my pan. :(

Trunkey creek, the surfaced areas are just outside the state forest and seemed to have been bought by a mining group as theres no trespassing signs and cct tv camera signs all over the place , most the state forest is sown to pines which makes it impossible to prospect for areas and the ground seems to change to granite and basalt within 100 meters of entering the state forest , there is one big horizontal mine that seems to have a verticle shaft ontop of it , but all i could find around it was noisy rocks and junk.
Was in that state forest 3 weeks ago with two men a gpz and a gpx and come home empty handed :( must have been a dozen hunters poking around in there that day so theres are real good chance of detecting lead :lol:
Unbelievable the mess of pine trees there , millions of the buggers that make reading the ground or seeing any distance impossible plus between when they dozed the natural trees and the billions of pine needles falling has hidden any trace of early gold hunters.
Nice place to spend a day with a couple of things worth seeing but i rate it pretty lowon the detecting side of things.

One thing i have found is dug stones maps are little more use than what you can google and reading the fine print at the bottom tells you access marked is generally crown land with no indication of wether its public access or under lease . I own his nsw book but its little morethan a mud map to use as a cross reference against other maps :Y:

Thanks guys ,

Im thinking same thing . It shows so many areas as accessible , but Ive been to many , and they dont exist !

Am just looking for new areas to try ! Not just to get gold , but for a change Of scenery !

Appreciate the info !

Regards

Gunter

recently , I asked a retail seller of the Doug Stone individual maps , not the atlas, how accurate did he think the maps were. oh pretty accurate was the reply, well, I hold a different opinion based on my knowledge of certain areas that I frequented many years ago , the maps seem to be mud maps no specific gps co ordinates to check with the NSW maps to identify state or crown lands, that to me is the reason why we buy maps but its a disappointing exercise, we have SIX mapping Google earth and minview , all these have taken me take some time to master each excursion brings up something different I start with an area I know like the back of my hand and expand out , my NSW atlas is available to my friends, free , to have a look at look at .

Latest posts