Tree stumps and fallen trees

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cameronpatrol

Cameron
Reaction score
Howdy
I'm sure people use detectors on fallen trees and around the roots but does anyone dig out the dirt from fallen tree roots and stumps? Then pan
I was out with the family for a drive out bush and saw trees down that still had clay and gravel in the root/stump and wondered if there may be gold.
I guess ones that are near river beds probably have a better chance.
Think I'll have to have a go out of curiosity.

Anyone had results?
Cheers cam

I can say that I have tested a big old tree that was fallen down and had a large amount of roots and dirt (high clay content) still attached. I tested at would have been different depths.
I found it useful to test this dirt as it allowed me to test dirt that would have been 5-6 foot down I imagine when the tree was standing.

Yep...only 1 tiny little piece, but to be fair it was only 1 pan and the piece was hackly and couldn't have travelled far. I want to get back there and test at the bottom of the valley where I was between 2 hills...wild country that hasn't seen any real work since the old timers I reckon.

I was told by a firey to be careful with fallen trees as the root ball could spring back as it may be under tension by remaining roots. In a fire the tree can burn away until it is too light to counter the root ball and the stump springs back upright again. The same could happen with a damaged tree I guess. Any firefighters here that can confirm that?
Jon

I'm a firey
I guess they could but pretty much all the ones I've seen are pretty well snapped off at the base
The only thing that would Spring is tension against other trees they may have fallen onto.
Mainly when your cutting them up.

One spec is still good may well be more there

blisters said:
I was told by a firey to be careful with fallen trees as the root ball could spring back as it may be under tension by remaining roots. In a fire the tree can burn away until it is too light to counter the root ball and the stump springs back upright again. The same could happen with a damaged tree I guess. Any firefighters here that can confirm that?
Jon

The root ball does often stand upright after the canopy has been removed, big issue when cutting up trees, little to no notice that it will happen. There is a great video on a guy that gets buried by the root ball when it springs back, the guy is lucky to get out alive. Ken.

Latest posts