Topaz, or not topaz. That is the question..?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1438898565_cleveage_plans_1.jpg

1438898576_cleveage_plans_2.jpg

Very hard subject to explain. Someone should make a proper video pointing at inclusions, flaws and obvious cleavage. The vids I've seen were very brief.

Its why I'm still trying to figure out, what's the easy way down the creek like walnliz pulled them out in vids. They know instantly, unless the topaz was the only thing clear there but I doubt it. I guess from a guess, the unforgettable sheen like a diamond through the rock is visible, but I've got many quartz which act similar

I am on the right track though yeah?

Well the red arrows I've put on your pictures point to pretty obvious features in the stones.

For the rest, experience does also a lot.
At the beginning, I had trouble to spot dark sapphires in my sieve, now I would spot them easily, even a black one (doesn't fracture like a spinel). But experience takes time.

Also, do not forget that when you sieve, if you do your move properly, you gather all the heavy stuff in the middle.
So Topaz will be in the middle, nit quartz.

If you do not know how to shake your sieve to gather the heavies together, then you have a problem.

That's correct mate, its more like a memory bank and you can't find something when you don't know what it looks like..well its a lot harder to. The only reason I don't understand your 2nd arrow pic us why the north west ones are not cleavage planes but the one I thought wasn't is. Is it because it seems more perfectly flat than the wavy ones I pointed out?

Also will help if I got more stones from a topaz bearing creek..will return there soon and see if I can find some real topaz. I may find topaz isn't in the other creeks

In the two pictures below, I would recognise the stones as topaz just from the intensity of glow that they have. Not easy if they're not clear inside, but these stand out. No wonder early miners thought they were diamonds.

My comment about the refractol is that you can use it to see inside the stone, and once you can clearly see inside the stone, it should be easy to see whether fractures are conchoidal (curved) or planar (flat).

AtomRat said:
I think the plane direction is obvious here pointing to the north west ( or is it going away from us )
http://cdn.gemrockauctions.com/uploads/images/235000-239999/236024/236024_1314145776.jpg

To the bottom of this rock ( above the black mark, pit ) I can see steps and showing cleavage, also just above the large "step" to the top as well:
http://cdn.gemrockauctions.com/uploads/images/235000-239999/236022/236022_1314145647.jpg

Can someone verify this for me by any chance please so I know im headed to the right direction. Im sure if we could pick them up visually it would be easier of course

AtomRat said:
r 2nd arrow pic us why the north west ones are not cleavage planes

The plane going from 8 to 2 (let's talk with watch dial) is a cleavage plan, you see the crack is nearly perfectly flat.

The fracture going from 5 to 11 is not following the cleavage plan, it is uneven and irregular.

Topaz will create a nearly perfectly flat cleavage in only one direction.

Some gems have cleavage in several direction, For example kunzite has perfect cleavage in the three directions, that is why it is a nightmare to cut.

Thanks both for those comments. I had been thinking that topaz can leave a conchoidal break but it can't? If thats correct it would help me heaps. Conchoidal is very easy to spot in quartz..but I swear I've seen some topaz pics with a conchoidal break or fracture in it

OK and only one direction too. So I was wrong about the vertical cleavage of course because that wouldn't be basal then..

Cheers again guys..sorry its been a pain

The break can be conchoidal on a topaz if it doesn't run parallel to the cleavage plan.

But as mentioned earlier, the easiest way to tell may be a scratch test for you.
Topaz is harder than quartz, and cannot be scratched by quartz, but should easily scratch quartz.

1445726338_14457262608650.jpg

No doubt at all I finally found one which slipped straight through my mesh, luckily its shine glistened in the corner of my eye so obviously in the sun I turned my head and there it was.

No doubt whatsoever in my mind..its a topaz. Can you spot it?

I posted this so anyone else looking can see how obvious they stick out from other rocks and clear quartz.

Was another fun dig watching dylan and his brother flick and burn leeches off each other all day :lol:
I think we ( well dylans brother luke ) discovered that leeches like the color yellow. :D

The both got some smokeys and dyland found a hint of amethyst.

Had another snake encounter just cm's from my feet again..

Latest posts