Tomatoes, how are yours going?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cuckoowaif said:
My vege garden was doing great , until I went up to Airle Beach for a fortnight over New Year . I had two people lined up to water for me while I was away - the first week there was a little bit of rain and my sister watered as was required - but when she went away , my niece was supposed to take over . She forgot ! We had that extreme heatwave and my garden had no water for a week ! Everything was seriously sunburned , even the carrots had no leaves on them .... I even thought that I should have found some popcorn under my corn stalks , but I guess the birds cleaned that mess up for me ! I'm still working on repairs !
Where's T H A T photo Cw ) 8) :eek: :D

Mine are doing ok this year, albeit a bit of neglect.
The earlies have come in
1516950870_20180123_081515.jpg

and the lates are just starting up now.

1516950999_20180126_170949.jpg

I won't mention the cukes.

1516951041_20180126_131846.jpg

well its my first harvest finally for the season. Lots of yummy tomatoes. This is the first days picking and there is 10 times this left to go, off just 5 plants.
You can see the size of them from the soap bottles in the back ground. Lots of salads now and lots of spaghetti sauce.
1519684238_toatoes.jpg

GT :)

Best ever year, planted a cherry tomato in a hanging basket and it has kept us going all summer. Less bugs and grubs chewing them.
The home grown certainly are tasty, enjoyed them mostly in salads but threw in a few toasted under the grill, bacon, cheese tasted sangers.

i used to grow tomatoes on a bit bigger scale , quite a while ago i used to grow 1000 plants every year ( the seedling mob sold bulk seedlings in 500 hundred lots and 1000 was plenty for me to look after ). and i sold them in town and to a few fruit shops in toowoomba . i always vine ripened them and the locals loved them . they were never large but always tasty . i would call them a good medium size , they were a hybrid called zolla .
was quite funny cos for years after i stopped growing them people in town would ask me are you growing any this year cos they had flavour .
also grew 15 acres of pumpkins but i gave that away when i worked out that i did all the work and i made the least money out of them the agents at rocklea markets made a lot more than i did and they did nothing .i used to pick 2 ton ( 4 bins) every morning until i have half a trailer then send em in to the markets
should see if i can dig up a few photos of the veg patch i had on the farm .
johno

No tomatoes this season but our fruit trees are doing well. At this point our mangoes are starting to ripen and we will have more bananas than we know what to do with shortly.

Funny story about the mangoes. I planted the tree when we first moved in to this house. When it was about 3 metres tall it had 2 fruit for the first time. My dog ate the first one, he was a strange bugger. Loves oranges and ate the chokos I would get home from night shift and as I watered the veges I would pick an orange for myself and one for Boof.

The next chapter in the mango saga. My dad in law is retired and a very active man so he does a lot of work looking after our garden and yard when he is not caravaning and chasing the opals. One day he decided to give the chokos a bit more space and chopped down the random tree next to the vine. That tree ws the mango tree. I told him that he had to tell Mrs Ramjet what he had done. :D

Now the tree has recovered and producing nicely at about 5 metres tall.

1519712340_mango2.jpg

1519712340_mangnana1.jpg

1519712340_mangnana2.jpg

I like seeing the product of green fingers fellas ! 8)
:Y: :rainbow: :Y: