It started with one..

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
2 or 3 years ago I was working in a woodland area walking through a creekbed when a mate pointed out there were quartz bearing rocks beneath us and that we might find a geode if we cracked one open, low and behold he was right and I found a nice inch wide geode.

I've always been interested in Ecology and geology and did some time putting that on paper. Even then some 8 years ago I spotted a sapphire looking geode and a rose quartz one sitting on the face of a rock as I explored a national park. I took some photos and admired it a bit but didn't think much beyond it.

Even after finding the quartz and some petrified wood I wasn't all into actually going out and fossicking. Not until two years later when my bird finding hobbies had come to a point I was satisfied for the state I'm in, and so I spent that time to do some reading and make a wonder out until within two months I had found plentiful quartz, petrified and agatized wood, peridot, chalcedony, agate, smokey quartz and jasper. Now I've found my first two sapphires, what I believe are some zircon and some orange pretties too. I didn't expect to find much and haven't gem sieved till this weekend when I spent a buck and got lucky enough to meet a fella camping out on site who showed me a few pointers and told me of how he'd gotten by.

I've met a lot of people on my trips, some into gold too, one even showed me his bounty, but for the moment gold isn't in my lane but I don't doubt I'll expand that way some day, for now I'm just trying to get the hand of using a sieve! Just wanted to say hello, start er up, and remember the day I found my first sapphires.

Attachments

• IMG_20220812_000116_540.jpg
    IMG_20220812_000116_540.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220811_235841_789.jpg
    IMG_20220811_235841_789.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Welcome to the Forum Thanksun. Nice colour in the sapphires and zircons. Plenty of gem related threads on the Forum to keep you busy with the research and reading. Good luck.

Latest posts