Today I Found ....... a Treasure Cave

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wally69

Paul
Reaction score
Over the years I have found a few caves that have yielded a few nice coins, buttons and relics.

Today I found one that kept beeping, and beeping, and beeping ...........

:inlove: :money: :inlove:

1550205699_1c007a5e-5c17-4feb-a5b5-ec0c2a0d33d2.jpg

Wowzers Wally, is that a pirates cave by the beach or a bushrangers hideout in the.....bush. What are the medallions/ badges? Looks like someone has spent a fair bit of time living in there. Gotta be a good story behind that find.

1550213575_689a5bac-12f3-4157-ba42-6ca26ec12b6d.jpg

Hi-Ho Silver......my thought exactly, although, perhaps it is a rams head. I keep rubbing it to see if it will reveal a Spanish past, but it hasnt as yet :lol:

The brass bow-plate appears to be off the pirates longboat Dave and the cave overlooked the beach wreckage it was extracted from.

Hard to read the dates on the coins Chris, I find the cave soil gives them a solid crust that can take some time to remove, and the cave fires can wreck a good coin. The lead sheep was from a time when kids used to suck on them to turn them into smart market gardeners.

From the dates I can read, it looks like the majority of careless occupation was just following both wars with a lot in the 10/20s, then 40/50s. The returned from active service badge is WW2 era, the star shaped one looks like a silver plated religious medallion but too crusty to read ATM.

A number of the spoons look to be hallmarked Stirling silver, so it would be great to be able to lift a date off them, but I am not too confident as the soil tends to attack the top layer giving them scales and eroding detail.

I only cherry picked high tomes on the equinox beach setting, so will need to go back and see what emerges from greater depth :p :p :money: :money: :p :p

Picture quality is gettin better Wally
1550220979_screenshot_2019-02-15-18-53-56.jpg

looks like a reeded edge
1550221059_screenshot_2019-02-15-18-54-54.jpg

Ya teasin Wally....
does look like reeding mate :p
1550221131_screenshot_2019-02-15-18-55-02.jpg

C'mon cobber.... just a bit closer n clearer :D

Close but no cigar :poop:

1550223842_0d43c93a-03c1-4a68-980c-65b26718c0fa.jpg

One day it will happen........this is about the third brass washer I have found on this stretch of foreshore, darn things give me a heart flutter every time. :inlove:

The medallion was owned by a young girl who was endocrinated into the Congregation of the Children of Mary, her initials will be carved into the rectangular section of the medallion. Why did she loose it in a cave, the same cave in which inverted pockets resulted in the bouncing out of 29 coins ???? I thought chastity was part of their vows.

All coins are post 1910, hallmarks on the spoons are too far gone to date.

I also found two beach caves (1980s - Perth Northern beaches) which would be flooded during storms at high tides.
I'm guessing that many would take refuge in there from the heat and weather.
Interestingly, ALL the coins were washed to where the sand floor met the cave walls.
Found 50+ in there with around 25% pre-decimal - pretty destroyed though.

Top LHS Jaros, you should be able to make out the veil head Victoria bust.

The bottom RHs is actually a three pence that has been oversized due to a fire being built on top of it at some stage in its cave dwelling days. I thought it was an odd size when I dug it and got hopeful it was something special, but a rub in the daylight showed it for what it was.

Never though of cave detecting, then again most down here are full of water (ie. sinkholes). Did real well on the silvers, and nice pick up on the Military badge - the holy dollar is looking a bit dodgy. :D

Latest posts