Today I fixed.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaros

In Remembrance Nov. 2023
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today i fixed my Tom Tom Go Live 825 GPS. Purchased a replacement Li-Ion batt. which had to travel by road / ship only specified on the postpack.
The GPS was turning off very quickly after disconnecting it from the cigarette plug. Wasn't holding charge charge-only 3 yrs old.
Lithium-ion batteries can be dangerous under some conditions and can pose a safety hazard since they contain, unlike other rechargeable batteries, a flammable electrolyte and are also kept pressurized. Because of this the testing standards for these batteries are more stringent than those for acid-electrolyte batteries, requiring both a broader range of test conditions and additional battery-specific tests.
Any it's all go now maybe for more than 3 yrs. this time.
Jaros :p

If possible try never to let the batts discharge more than 50% before a recharge.....constantly keep em topped up mate.

During periods of extended non-use, disconnect the batt from the unit making sure its fully charged first, and always do a charge up every few weeks if lying idle.

Batteries are fickle buggers, continued good maintenance should see you extending their life expectancy!

Regards

Well done Jaros, most electronics are a simple fix with some know how, finding a replacement can be an issue at times but luckily not for you!

If your Li-po / li-ion batt has puffed and expanded its at a dangerous point and I don't reccomend throwing it straight in the bin as its kind of illegal being an explosive.

You can soak the batteries in water overnight and prick holes into the batt with a pin ( use gloves ) to extinguish any concerns of self combustion.

I'm still yet to find you house in Gembrook jaros, don't worry I haven't forgotten!

We permanently damaged the best GPS we've ever had by not changing the internal memory battery. Our 7" Garmin Street Pilot 7200 used to take too long to come to life and blacked out between accessories and ignition but we let it go for a long time before sending it for repair. The battery leaked onto the circuit board and the claim it can't be fixed. I had them replace the battery but it still plays up in high humidity. It wouldn't work at all once we got to Queensland so I had to go out and buy a Hema HN7. I don't like the way the new Garmins work.

They should have cleaned the board, components and bare contacts with alcohol to make sure the batt acid has been removed and to replace any rusted components.

If you trust the repairer, they may not have been able to replace a main IC on the board and why you still have issues..but, humidity problems could still mean a dodgy join somewhere.

ahhh..technology, built to fail.

AtomRat said:
Well done Jaros, most electronics are a simple fix with some know how, finding a replacement can be an issue at times but luckily not for you!

If your Li-po / li-ion batt has puffed and expanded its at a dangerous point and I don't reccomend throwing it straight in the bin as its kind of illegal being an explosive.

You can soak the batteries in water overnight and prick holes into the batt with a pin ( use gloves ) to extinguish any concerns of self combustion.

I'm still yet to find you house in Gembrook jaros, don't worry I haven't forgotten!

The batt. hadn't swollen but was sticky on the base-i presume to hold it in place.
Vot do you mean by "a house in Gembrook'???

Always use distilled water to clean electronic boards or a final flush after using any other chemicals/fluids or you will end up with contamination...

People often forget that other fluids can interact and generate their own problems..

DI water is close to pure H2O and thus is hungry and is the best for removing Salts and other contaminations.

As to repairing electronic items - I do for my self and on special occasions. But in general the time can never be charged for.

If a battery has leaked onto a board and started to corrode there is no reliable way to effect a repair that can be guaranteed by a repairer without board replacement.

Corrosion can get into all the solder joints and gets under smd components. I have seen the corrosion travel down the inside of wires and then start to corrode another part of the board.

After seeing many corroded boards over the years, experience tells me that unless the corrosion is limited to a very small area, the board would need to be replaced.

There was no leakage onto the board in my case. Just lucky hey? I didn't use the kit they can supply to open the face of the GPS. I used the small knife blade in my "French Army Knife" I wasn't willing to pay another $19-00 for a plastic blade and a small philips head screwdriver.
Its all working well as after 3 day it still has 85% power.

I was more thinking a current battery leak that hasnt done too much damage rather than long term acid damage over a few weeks. Most the time ive been able to clean / repair a board if its only oxidising the copper and hasnt made it to the rusting point yet a fair bit.

As I mentioned, components would need replacing and some just cant be replaced. Worst case scenario if you have the components is print a new bit of pcb to replace the damaged one.

Jaros - mabey I got confused, checked my PM's but cant find it. I swear you told me you used to live in Gembrook but now its dozered.. was talking about that, but it might not have even been you :8

I grew up in Noble Park then in a flat in Prahran. Moved out to Diamond Ck. and Greensborough then Ringwood Nth. Finally Telstra moved me up to Qld. and here i be living near the Brisbane River 2klm from CBD.
Crikey all that makes me feel like a bit of a Gypsy.
I go and get myself one ha ha.

Today i fixed my mazda6 electrical wiring! The trailer plug was shorting the boot light out after 12 attempts i took it to the auto electrician...$77 later trailer lights and boot lights work... winning :lol:

Thought I'd jump into the weeks fix it thread. Had no sound on my phone for nearly 6 months after being dropped in the creek one too many times..

Ordered a new speaker from eBay and replaced it with ease, works great again with sound!

1437637706_img_20150722_154359.jpg

Jaros said:
Good work AR. The satisfaction is worth the effort-isn't it.
Certainly mate, so I've done it again.

I got fed up with all the issues I was having with the Samsung GT-i9000t and spotted a newer much larger Samsung GT-N7000 or Galaxy 3 Note.

As always..the person at the garage sale swore it worked but didn't have a charger at hand to prove it to me, so I took the risk and offered $5, which to me was my answer of it being broken because they eagerly accepted it..

Got it to the car and plugged it into the multi charger to find that the charge port was busted and smashed up. Straight away before even leaving their driveway I ordered a new USB port from eBay.

Usb port arrived yesterday, installed it into the phone, plug in and it started to charge...woohoo!

These newer phones are a lot less fiddly than the previous phones I've worked on where things go flying everywhere..

Yay to the new phone with a much better camera and phone! The size is much larger..I'll have to find a cover because I drop phones lots..

1439421339_img_20150813_090614.jpg

Thanks for the thread Jaros..I'll probably post here a bit..

Charging ports are a problem on most phones, easy and cheap fix if you do it yourself.
No so at a repair shop.
Well done, good pick up

These Samsung phones have earn t my respect for repairing. :)
I have an S2 i1910T.
Got ran over on the road and the screen looked like it had been hit with a shot gun.
Found a replacement screen and digitizer for $70.00.
Took all of 30 minutes and the phone works and looks like a new one.
They are built pretty tough and having a modular build makes them pretty easy to work on.
I only wish I could have taken a few shots of the carnage. :lol:

Latest posts