To Rake or Not to Rake

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cart a rakehoe with me every time has many uses clear the ground for a camp fire & spread out the ash & coals when I'm done. Splash a bit of water over the fire after I've spread it out, if the fires cool to touch it's cool to leave. And for any ground that needs to be raked for closer inspection. They are a very handy tool to have.

1474177829_rake.jpg

used to take a rake with me then stopped, never worried about it since, after detecting a spot not finding anything only to see another guy that detects the same spot that i have gotten to know rakes the spot has found a few nuggets that i have missed, guess what i am taking with me all the time now

I,d like tro rake, I reckon I would find more gold, but carrying the thing in and out of some of the spots would be a pain, and some of the ground, geez, the rocks are so bloody big on top......I think, I will carry the bloody thing in and give it a whirl anyway....

Hi Kidbeey ,
I always carry 2 rakes in ute and use with success quite often especially using the SDC 2300 .
Last year I bought a heavy duty rake which is the best I have ever used . I bought it from Bunnings for approx $70.00 . It is a Cyclone
Fire Fighting Rakhoe . One edge for leaves , sticks and small branches and other side for rocks . The only time I take a second rake now is if the
wife comes for a drive and I convince her to swap the book for a rake . :D

Cheers
goldrat

I like the good old plastic leaf rake, with my pick on my hip and rake in one hand it is great for pushing things out of the way as well as raking. Also doubles as a staff and living in the GT with snake season on its way the rake would be useful to keep out of striking distance.

Goldfield Joe said:
I like the good old plastic leaf rake, with my pick on my hip and rake in one hand it is great for pushing things out of the way as well as raking. Also doubles as a staff and living in the GT with snake season on its way the rake would be useful to keep out of striking distance.

Do you see many snakes in the GT?

I love all that rake and more should do it, always manage to find abit more on and more in the area .

Keep it up, last week we found a rake on the side of the road at Chewton and about 3 weeks I found one hanging on a tree new as in Inglewood.

Mybe someone from here

Cheers

hey how dose people rake ? do you do big patches ? or small then detect it then rake another area but then you rake a pile over the areas you have already done and detect the newly raked ground and keep going that kind of way ?

here's a rough plan of what I mean

rake by ,

Lasseter said:
Goldfield Joe said:

Do you see many snakes in the GT?

Three last season which is three too many for my liking.

if you know you are on gold,

i rake in rows,start at bottom of hill and scrape a row pushing the leaf and dirt into a row on the uphill side . detect row.
where you just piled the dirt/tree litter, rake that into a pile on the row you just detected. detect that row.
then just keep going uphill row after row, raking the dirt and litter into the row you just detected.

saves a lot of time and energy if you have to cover a bit of ground , it also effectively grids for you....

How do you guys carry your stuff then - the pick thru your belt and the rake over your shoulder?

Lasseter. I leave the rake in the car, I got a 4wd so I try and get as close as I can, you always need roads ;-)
I go back to car and get the rake if I found a few pieces or next time I go to the area I carry the rake in with me

Latest posts