To dig or not to dig that is the question...

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golddiggerart

Arthur
Reaction score
So I found out that I live near an old army camp from 1911....The area where the camp was, hospital barracks is a no go zone.....but across the road is just a walkway with lots of places to detect.
A lot of the targets were huge, I started to dig one but only had a screw driver, it is made of Cast Iron? It had a rounded flat top and I started clearing the top and saw a Wire going into the object....cleared out some more and there are 2 plastic covers on each side like wiring covers.
Further along the path same thing large object Cast Iron? From the top of it cleaned it almost looked like a Pot Lid....but because I only had a screwdriver and the sun was hot as hell I left it.
Would you A: Go back and dig it.......B: Run for your life......C: Find smaller targets....

Of note I found a little metal/iron ball looking object rusted to hell but thought it may be related to the Army Camp....

Cheers all .... GDA - Arthur

If the ground was soft and moist and the grass recovery was guaranteed, I'd way up the odds, if for a moment I thought it was any type of explosive, I'd mark the area and report it, if I thought it wasn't explosive I'd carefully excavate around it a bit more to investigate further, all the time ensuring it would still look pristine when I was finished ,.... if the ground was hard and dry, I'd most probably wait for enough rain and then return for a looksee. ;)

silver said:
If the ground was soft and moist and the grass recovery was guaranteed, I'd way up the odds, if for a moment I thought it was any type of explosive, I'd mark the area and report it, if I thought it wasn't explosive I'd carefully excavate around it a bit more to investigate further, all the time ensuring it would still look pristine when I was finished ,.... if the ground was hard and dry, I'd most probably wait for enough rain and then return for a looksee. ;)

Ground was actually pretty easy to dig just slow with the screwdriver.....Top was round and sunken in and had a port hole which I shoved the screwdriver down to clear out as much dirt as possible...

Don't think it is an explosive but can never be too cautious... It is easy enough to dig around the object without knocking it around...I just don't know how deep it is....or goes...

silver said:
As silver has said, but I'd aim to find some smalls first to make sure more relates to what was there
If it's a claymore with a trip wire run for the hills
http://picclick.com.au/2-WW2-Australian-British-Anti-Tank-land-mine-covers-162350266729.html
they wern't these covers were they :eek: run and run fast :lol: :lol: :lol:

The only mines that I know of that had wires attached are clamores, and they are not round.(lots of fun, but not round) If concerned call the army or police bomb squad.

BTW clamores are not cast, they are very light and a rectangle shape with a bend for arc detonation blast, the idea is to pile rocks and crap in front to make an arc of death/wounding.

Also if it was a clamore it will need a detonator to set it off, no banging would make it go boooom.

B5MECH said:
silver said:
As silver has said, but I'd aim to find some smalls first to make sure more relates to what was there
If it's a claymore with a trip wire run for the hills
http://picclick.com.au/2-WW2-Australian-British-Anti-Tank-land-mine-covers-162350266729.html
they wern't these covers were they :eek: run and run fast :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nah nothing like that........This is way Bigger....and a lot rounder like a pot belly stove...imagine the top of stove with cover off and a pan inside the hole that would give you a mental picture of it being concaved....small hole in the top and to the right 1 white wire coming out and back in like an upside down U... then on sides from the top two plastic covers...I will go back and dig a little then take a pic....

Occasional_panner said:
The only mines that I know of that had wires attached are clamores, and they are not round.(lots of fun, but not round) If concerned call the army or police bomb squad.

BTW clamores are not cast, they are very light and a rectangle shape with a bend for arc detonation blast, the idea is to pile rocks and crap in front to make an arc of death/wounding.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: The site would be fenced with an UXO listing on it :rolleyes: I was taking the piss OP :rolleyes:

golddiggerart said:
If I don't return you know what happened to me....BOOM scattered into a million little Gda pieces lol
We'll remember you.

B5 there is lots of unexploded ordinance all over the place, mostly souvenirs that get forgotten, left in sheds etc, no signs etc to warn you.

golddiggerart said:
silver said:

Ground was actually pretty easy to dig just slow with the screwdriver.....Top was round and sunken in and had a port hole which I shoved the screwdriver down to clear out as much dirt as possible...

Don't think it is an explosive but can never be too cautious... It is easy enough to dig around the object without knocking it around...I just don't know how deep it is....or goes...
Had a port hole.............it's a submarine :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: gona need a bigger shovel gda :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Occasional_panner said:

Also if it was a clamore it will need a detonator to set it off, no banging would make it go boooom.

No Claymores around in 1911.

Yeah, he said from 1911, many sites get used for more than a year or two, usually many decades, anyway it doesn't fit a clamore, it's cast and not the right shape.

If the primer cap was missing from the top maybe.
1487229386_2017-02-16-16-52-48-1679922568.jpg

1487229412_images-7.jpg

1487229434_images-9.jpg

1487229454_images-14.jpg

so it probably won't end up like
1487229501_images-5.jpg

that anyhow. :Y:

Latest posts