Tiny sapphire project ....

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1418040477_image.jpg
So people ask what to do with thier tiny sapphires? Why not put them in one of these ? Just acquired this vintage object , So will fill it with my favourite Ruby's and sapphires , this one has shard and tumbled small stone in it . Going to knock up a few more that I hope rough to cut can build . Great way to have those little stones on hand , and to actually serve a purpose !
1418040321_image.jpg
1418040349_image.jpg
1418040422_image.jpg

Kooky I know! But we all remember these things , and you can get a hit out of it cause there your stones .. And look better than sitting in a little jar , just a thought .
Barney

That's a nice looking piece of kaleidoscope Barney,..at first glance of first photo I thought you were in the process of making a multi stone brooch (unfinished) , but that looks like a fine way to see little stones in all their glory, great Idea,..well done.

I can't believe I got photos through it ! It's only 2" long and the I phone got a couple photos through a 2mm hole ! Lol

I hold a jewellers loupe up to my camera lens when I want a close up of coin dates,.. amazing shots you took, last one is best of them for me.

A novel idea Barney :) Anyone who does enough digging should have a bottle of smalls. I've thought of making a pendant out of smalls encased in glass.

Great idea- much better than just sitting in a bottle collecting dust.

love it.....planning a living room coffee table with led lighting underneath the sapphs, zircs etc with the combined smalls of my mother and my diggings, just gotta get out and find more :D

Brilliant idea Kingsolomon, I know I have a heap of small ones in a jar and seeing this idea has sparked the imagination! Thank you :)

Golden Dragoness said:
Thank you for the great link Salutations, looking through it and marvelling at the beauty :D
No worries at all, i thank KS for bringing up the post just got me looking further into these beautiful masterpieces... I used to work for a company called Digiglass which did all sorts of imagery on laminates and then laid it up on glass, taking it from original images, manipulating images allowing for shrinkage etc, was a rather complicated job and required much finesse, had some amazing effects with pure white and even moreso with mirrors. Some of the contracts we had worked with slumped glass manufacturers with state of the art lighting ideas on top of these projects was pretty cool to see some designers concept all the way to reality.
A project for some china mall i can remember having over 400 panels of glass all joining up imagery wise, looked brilliant, they were not 100% happy with the final job, they wanted slightly different shades of colour, just pay another few million to get it right haha. Being able to cut glass/mirror etc i would like to have a play around with some different type scopes, really wish i could see some of the kaleidoscopes in more detail to see exactly what is going on, there really seems to be very little information apart from kids scopes and few lathe built wooden ones from what i can see. About 10 years ago a GF of mine bought a pretty amazing kaleidoscope from a local somewhere in Victoria, can't remember where but i think it was bronze, nicely burnished and polished with 2 wheels that freely spun made with leadlighting with some gems also melded in there. That was around the $200 mark was some some pretty great craftsmanship from memory, 5k+ for some of the scopes, imagine the workmanship hours + research that goes into making such things!!

Latest posts