Maybe: Fossilised Pandanus nut segments

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Ive got a tricky one for you all and after 3 weeks of researching I am out of ideas so here we go!

I have came across one small brittle rock banded with red crystals a few weeks ago. I thought maybe garnet but not so sure now..
It was half way down the hill in a driveway whilst looking for other random geological wonders it just really stood out.

When I got it back home I noticed the the banding is actually tiny gems or crystal or some sort of see-through orange-red very vibrant bits. They are smaller then a grain of sand but the most beautiful red. And they produce a finer colour in sunlight rather then torch light..

1576205082_ec48bd91-0cd9-4a2a-9a40-fcecac5bafb0.jpg

The rock is brittle but the little stones are roughly a 6.5-7 hardness.

and since then I have collected 2 more at other hills near by. Geology outlay is Early Crustaceous or Early Permian.

This is where it gets confusing...

At the second location, I also found some old (possibly*) pandanus tree nuts that seem identical to the structure of the banded samples, in an early informed stage, not crystallising yet.

Anyway google has nothing....and the Facebook forums dont know...so please point me in the right direction! Weve all been wrong so far lol

I have been touching it until someone mentioned it could be toxic haha! So also wondering if there is somewhere legitimate that I can send a sample away for testing? And will they send it back to me or keep the sample?

Thanks any questions Im happy to answer and any tips to help test it would be awesome.

I think the crystals are garnet, not sure what the other stuff is. Interesting finds though.

Hopefully our highly respected geologist member Goldirocks will have some ideas for you.

Thankyou for the help guys! :)

Its definitely tricky, how would it be narrowed down into a sub category...like does garnet form in layers like that?

The crystals come out of the layers/banding from #1 and #2 and #3 are unformed versions of the main specimen, I just cant seem to take a decent photo lol

I remember seeing information on fossil markings awhile back and the pattern on the top of #2 is identical. But I cant find the video now.

Latest posts