thoughts on whites spectra v3i or mxt all pro

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wolfau said:
Its purpose would be for those looking for coins only because with what I had found with it all the coins
popped up in the 2.5khz range. Lets say you want to detect a grass area that has maybe 250,000
people visit in a 6 month period where they pay to get into an event. Such areas do exist.

Set the detector for $1 and $2 coins and block out the Audio on the 7.5khz range and anything from the
surface to around 6" there is a huge probability it will be coins only that pop out.

I don't need to debate this with anyone. Anyone that owns a v3i can check this out and I am only talking
about Aluminium screw caps.

The change or update would only be software based as the v3i in its current format already does
its bit in reference to this.

Hope this helps.

Hi Wolfau,

I took the V3i for a swing yesterday. I took careful notice of the VDI and which frequency was dominant whenever I got a target.

Yes - most of the junk (including alum screw caps) that had VDI numbers close to (or the same as) certain coins, was indeed 7.5 kHz dominant.

But unfortunately, every coin I found (all modern) was also 7.5 kHz dominant. None of them were 2.5 dominant.

I really wanted most / all coins to be dominant on the 2.5 freq, as this system that you describe would be great for coins hunting, just as you say it would be.

:(

Nuggetbuster said:
Wolfau said:
Its purpose would be for those looking for coins only because with what I had found with it all the coins
popped up in the 2.5khz range. Lets say you want to detect a grass area that has maybe 250,000
people visit in a 6 month period where they pay to get into an event. Such areas do exist.

Set the detector for $1 and $2 coins and block out the Audio on the 7.5khz range and anything from the
surface to around 6" there is a huge probability it will be coins only that pop out.

I don't need to debate this with anyone. Anyone that owns a v3i can check this out and I am only talking
about Aluminium screw caps.

The change or update would only be software based as the v3i in its current format already does
its bit in reference to this.

Hope this helps.

Hi Wolfau,

I took the V3i for a swing yesterday. I took careful notice of the VDI and which frequency was dominant whenever I got a target.

Yes - most of the junk (including alum screw caps) that had VDI numbers close to (or the same as) certain coins, was indeed 7.5 kHz dominant.

But unfortunately, every coin I found (all modern) was also 7.5 kHz dominant. None of them were 2.5 dominant.

I really wanted most / all coins to be dominant on the 2.5 freq, as this system that you describe would be great for coins hunting, just as you say it would be.

:(

I am sorry, But Wolfau Can't Answer you Due to Being Banned,

John

The two lower freq don't give a great deal of resolution when a target is at depth in medium to high mineralization...and 7.5khz can swing either way depending on the size of the target and its depth.
22.5 has the highest resolution and becomes the more dominant freq for most aluminum items that are withing its ability to give clear readings. Its the better freq to use when unmasking is the name of the game. But 2.5khz will give better results on copper penny's at depth and some old silver coins iv found. Old house sites and relic hunting.
Setting up these patterns can take some trial and error. Sometimes when im not all that sure...i save the pattern and follow up on it latter when i get home...add and subtract from it till next time im out.

Cherry picking with the V is simply...just use one of the two lower freqs witch does away with a lot of very small lawnmower kill found in our parks. Larger bits of aluminum will always be problematic tho. The two lower freq are not so swing speed dependent iv found...so its very easy to set up a pattern for cherry picking easy ground like parks and the beach. Yet on the beach, 22.5khz is the one frequency you should be using if looking for small jewelry.

Relic hunting, or goldfields style relic hunting i use a combo of many different patterns due to the ground ever changing. While most of the stuff im looking for is either copper or brass, i still opt most times to use three freq due to the gold laying around among these locations. I will select one frequency for a better indication when a target shows up more on a given color/frequency over the others. Selecting Correlate helps in the iron, and SAT speed being fully adjustable...including OFF... also makes things educational when using any of the Mixed modes which controls how fast the audio/thresh pauses over disc iron. While all this is going on, it puts a strain on the process and swing speed becomes critical.

Just a word of note when using correlate in goldfields....low numbers and ironstone coated species, as many species have large amounts of ironstone, more ironstone than gold some times. Gold being a low conductor and iron not so low. Add the ground conductivity/mineralization to the equation and you soon realize how easy a small ironstone nuggets can turn south using sophisticated detectors. (and not so sophisticated)

The combo's are near endless, very educational and is simply a delight for those of us who like to fiddle with stuff. Yet, when all you want to do it beep-n-dig...i reach for the RACER now days.

TheSilentBugler said:
Gold is a very high conductor, third on the list of metals behind copper and silver.

Well it's funny you say that because all the Detector companies Say Gold is Low Conductive, Yet My Chart says it is High Conductive, But I have always been lead to believe it is Low, Maybe they are Referring to Small Gold, But really Gold is Gold.

John

It is what it is in the realms of metal detecting. :lol:

We are being ripped off if you like within the way certain metal report on detectors....not fair is it.? :mad:

Narrawa said:
It is what it is in the realms of metal detecting. :lol:

We are being ripped off if you like within the way certain metal report on detectors....not fair is it.? :mad:

I am really Confused Now, Better go back to School, 3rd Grade seem the right Place to start, :D :D :D

TheSilentBugler said:
Heh, yeah, just doesn't make sense from my understanding, unless gold acts all ornery when it comes to eddy currents.

Must do some reading.

Don't mean to nitpick you. :)

Eddy Currents, Wasn't He A Rapper back in the 90s, :D :D :D :D :D

All good gents, wave a small bit of gold over your coil...brand matters not...does it report low numbers or high.?

Narrawa said:
All good gents, wave a small bit of gold over your coil...brand matters not...does it report low numbers or high.?

I did a fine gold ring read between 0 and 4 yet a large one read 55 both were 18k and the small one had a platinum cap on it so that might of made it Lower,

I got mixed reading on a few bits of gold on two different machines...low to high numbers.

Thats the funny thing about nuggets....all different shapes and sizes...all different readings. But essentially on detectors gold is classed as being low.
In the Electron flow world...its high.

TheSilentBugler said:
Gold is a very high conductor, third on the list of metals behind copper and silver.

Or my edumacation has finally been wiped out by brain damage.
Gold is a "higher" conductor when pure & tested in like sized tests I.e. same gauge wire + length. Even then as a "higher" conductor it is still about a quarter less conductive than the same sized silver or copper (scale of 100 - silver 100, copper 97 & gold 76 or thereabouts).
Nuggets aren't pure, a lot of the time have inclusions of quartz, ironstone & other host rock + have a wide variety of sizes/shapes as already mentioned.
Gold rings/jewellery in general mostly isn't pure either I.e. 24k is generally considered too soft so it is alloyed to make 22k, 18k, 9k etc.
My theory, or unedumicated opinion, is gold is considered a low conductor in the detecting world for those reasons - not usually found in pure form & contains inclusion or alloys further reducing conductivity.
A lot of people confuse the use of gold in some connections as it being there for better conductivity when it is used more because of its corrosion resistance.

Latest posts