Gold Prospecting Starter

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day guys, I've been panning for a few years and now want to get into using a detector so i thought here would be a great place to to get some answers. I'm after a unit i can use on the beach, parks all the usual places just mucking around but then i go prospecting in the Gympie area especially on the Mary River looking for the yellow stuff..Ive been looking at some of the units and was wondering how the x-terra 705 duel pack would go..Also i have seen a Sovereign xs-2 pro and was wondering how it would be..i have about $600 atm to work with or will i just have to dream on until i get a bit more..would love to know what you all reckon..Thanks..Dave.. :D :D

1552551550_18.jpg

thanks muchly guys, im hoping to get on here alot more as i start detecting and learn a few things...

Gympie = ummm not as hard as some places but the gold is mostly dust/aluvial.

Yep some nuggets etc but you will need private permissions. 705 may pick up bigger stuff if shallow and not harsh ground conditions.

Tested a NOX 800 and GM 1000 up that way and the 705 with the elliptical coil; 705 did a much better job in some cases; but with either machine the small gold had to be just under / almost on the surface.

Gold is worth the $ as it is hard to get... If it was easy, it would be cheep.

your def right there, ive found plenty of aluvial around i just want to step it up a bit..there was a decent chunk found where i camp just underneath the place i was parking my kayak by the owners of the property..i also have permission to look there so no probs with that, i said id shout them a holiday if i struck enough...im leaning towards the 705 atm so i might look a bit further into them...

uttu kaos said:
your def right there, ive found plenty of aluvial around i just want to step it up a bit..there was a decent chunk found where i camp just underneath the place i was parking my kayak by the owners of the property..i also have permission to look there so no probs with that, i said id shout them a holiday if i struck enough...im leaning towards the 705 atm so i might look a bit further into them...

If you are going to be looking under your kayak parking spot then I suggest you go for a water proof machine ;) Perhaps the Equinox 800 or stretch the budget a little further to the Garrett ATX that has a much better detection range.

Latest posts