things to look for when buying a 4WD

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's good information Goldpick, I knew they had problems but wasn't sure exactly what it was. I have a Bt50 and it is a great car even though it is common rail. I have done over 100k in it now and am very happy. the only trouble I had was a rat got in under the plastic engine cover and chewed the return line for the unburnt fuel. I only noticed it when I stopped at roadworks and at idle the fuel wasn't sucking through quickly enough so I could smell it when it leaked onto the motor :| anyway $26 and it was fixed. I think I would stick with a Mazda but one of the 5 cylinder ones next providing they go alright. I do hear you about the 4.2 Nissans, Legendary.

HeadsUp said:
Those D40 navaras sound terrible , another lemon is the Ford Ranger / Mazda BT50
(same vehicle different badge)

I have seen many up for sale where the ad says ;

" engine replaced at 130,000 km "
"engine replaced at 70,000 km"
"engine replaced at 110,000km"

thats scary

they also suffer with bad transmissions and weak brakes

I will be going the Hilux route

I have also seen near new Tritons in at Mitsubishi being fitted with brand new crate engines due to failures, hence why I do not trust long term reliability on common rail diesels. Diesel engines used to be legendary for simplicity, reliability and economy, but now you can cross the first two off the list. The problem is not overall reliability from all common rail diesel engines, it's more to do with inconsistency between the engines, one might be a lemon, whilst another might go for thousands of kms without issue?? This goes for all brands of 4WD's, even Toyota's big V8 diesel is not immune from issues with injectors, software issues and abnormal oil usage.

I reckon the petrol V6 engines are a more reliable option on utes like the Hilux if you are not worried about access to fuel in remote areas, driving over dry grass, and maybe a small increase in fuel usage. Just wait till you have to replace a fuel pump on a common rail diesel, you will wish you never bought one if just out of warranty.

Just went and had a look at the bonnet catch on my D40 and its not attached to the bonnet skin its attached to the bonnet inner bracing...

All of the common rail diesels have issues with reliability - its not a Nissan exclusive club (the engine's a Renault anyway)
The Navara chassis is thicker than the Ford, Mitsubishi and Toyota equivalents. I have weld repaired engine crossmember on a Hilux, chassis on Ford Rangers and Nissan Patrol utes. Patrol chassis is 3mm, Ford Ranger is 1.6!
The fuel pumps are a common part between Hilux, Navara and Triton

Low range in my Navara is phenomenal, easily the best I have ever driven. Low RPM torque is an issue straight off idle (never an issue in low range) but when it's hitting 20psi boost by 1500rpm I'm never left waiting for power to happen.

Navaras, Hiluxes, Tritons, DMax, Colorado Prado, Pathfinder, Terracan etc all eat clutches. You don't put 400nm in front of a gearbox and not build a 'fuse' in there.

They don't build em like they used to - in many ways I wish I'd just done a complete refurb on my GU but then the Navara rides 10x nicer, goes a hell of a lot harder and has a ute tub that I can put a ton of whatever in and still get great economy all whilst carting the wife and kids around.

Sorry, correct regarding the Navara bonnet latch, it is indeed the brace not the actual outer panel, stiil it would have been good to make it a replaceable component vs replacing the whole bonnet. Modern 4WD's certainly aren't built like they used to, they really are built mainly as recreational vehicles for moderate off-roading vs work vehicles.

If you lose your ABS sensor cables on gravel roads, from memory, the dash digital display goes blank, and ABS warning light illuminates, so you do not know whether you are in 4WD or not, other than switching the rotary switch back to 2WD. I didn't trust it being electronic, hence got someone to try and spin the wheels up in the dirt to ensure it was in 2WD only, before heading back on the bitumen. When back in Adelaide, we had custom guards fabricated to bolt onto the rear axle to help protect the lines for future usage. I still prefer manual free-wheeling hubs and seperate low range gear lever vs anything electronic.

Also the earlier D40 models were made in Spain vs the current models which are made in Thailand, so I don't know whether the quality, fit and finish varied from both countries. Production in Thailand started in 2007. Sometimes it pays to wait a while before buying a new model 4WD, it allows time for the manufacturer to iron out any niggling issues like software upgrades to sort out anything that hadn't been anticipated from the factory.

The Spain vs Thailand thing is dependent on trim level to an extent (RX ST ST-X). Current models I believe are still made in Spain and Thailand. D22 is also now made in Thailand (as is Hilux)

As for a broken bonnet catch that is just an easy way for repairers to make a buck - if it were my vehicle I'd just knock 4 quick 8mm holes in the brace and plug weld the catch back into place - 20 minute fix.

Not sure how the ABS affects the 4wd display, the sensors for 4wd/low range are on the transfer case itself. I don't currently have dash indication because some rogue fencing wire got caught in my front shaft and tore the sensors out doh! I'll have a look at protecting the ABS cables though, not sure I'd want to lose ABS!

I would also much prefer a second lever and should anything ever fail in a major way in the 4wd selection I'll be changing the transfer to a D22 style! (My car is a 07 ST-X built in Spain).

The bonnet was replaced under warranty, the bonnets come unpainted in undercoat, so we had to wait for that to be painted up.

One more thing about the D40, there have been cases where deep water crossings have pushed the lower section of the radiator into the fan, resulting in carnage. The fix for this was a full bash plate running from just under the bullbar down to under the sump (with a cut out for the sump plug), we also had these custom fabricated for our D40s - something else that may be worthwhile thinking about.

Yeah guarding is something I need. It has a bit of a plate from the bullbar to the crossmember. In my Patrol I snapped a blade off the engine fan and smashed the shroud in a waterhole (I was stuck rocking it back and forth - not fun tide lines were halway up doors, no water in cab though!)

Something else to check, my Paj DID stopped on the weekend. Bugger, it was old fuel hose split where it was difficult to see.
4 sons 3 diesels.
3ltr hilux, good but heavier on fuel than mine, can hear the turbo windup but few complaints.
Pathfinder no turbo good but slow, no problems yet. previous troopie, fitted turbo, cooler etc $7000 but better fuel & a great truck.
105 cruiser, blown front diff, harmonic came loose(poor maint. by previous owner) 33 tyres, great crawl capacity in 4wd, non turbo 12-14/100. Previous was a troopie 340 000klm & a few minor problems but heavy on fuel (16-17), non turbo.
boy's mate, 2.4 hilux, boy they are slow & he has broken nearly everything, the exuberance of youth!!
Be patient it could take months to find a good vehicle.
hope this helps

nissan navara has variable stage oil pump, apparently if you drain the oil for longer than 10 minutes you have to prime the pump again, not many 1st, 2nd yr mechanics who do most oil changes know this, reving the engine does not help. Christ sake if people want a good 4x4, now adays is not so good, buy a hilux or cruiser before 2006 you will be fine if deisel. But I have bought an emaculate car off the line before swapped ownership had it inspected and there were a few faults. My opinion would be if you are interested in any vehicle, GET IT INSPECTED by the place you want to pass it with, mechanic or apprentice his word is god, unless you do the dodgy, which only cost more money in the long run. All in all my experience diesel cruiser or hilux pre 2006. Now a days you buy a car or 4x4 you can be sure it has been built part wise from 10 different countires

Both are built in japan, only one has been built off a 50+ yr old idea, the nissan is only sales to speed up the process of quality to eventualy be compared to a cruiser, I say nissan should stick with there skylines

charlie123 said:
Both are built in japan, only one has been built off a 50+ yr old idea, the nissan is only sales to speed up the process of quality to eventualy be compared to a cruiser, I say nissan should stick with there skylines

The Hilux is built in Thighland and has been for years

The chassis and engine, gearbox, turbo charger, all japan, allot of other parts are built from other places and built off japans manufacturing specs. The only car or 4x4 you will see now a days built in the one country is bmw, porche, mercedes. Even astin martin is built from other parts

HeadsUp said:
charlie123 said:

Take me to this Thighland you speak of :D

Nugget said:
HeadsUp said:
charlie123 said:

Take me to this Thighland you speak of :D

Aah , the land of amazing ping pong ball tricks and wicked green curry chicken

i call it thighland coz the bedroom is an olympic sport and they all seem to be after the gold medal

totally different culture when it comes to relationshipping

gee those crocodiles can talk sweet .

but never again ... still got the scar tissue

For the last 34 years mine has been built in my workshop, written off three times and rebuilt in the workshop. But you would be truly surprised just where some of the models are built and exported from, Brazil, jo berg, Mexico, Spain, and of course the peoples republic, and quiet few of the big names too, BMW, merc, ford.

As the saying goes, t*ts, tyres or tracks! it's going cause you grief.

gotta agree about the new hilux's the way the farmers up my have been chewing thru them, and the cost of fixing them.
hit a stump in a paddock and your looking at seven grand to fix the front end.
hit anything with the bulbar and your looking at a bent chassis.
I took the hilux of my list pretty quick after talking to a few that have them for working.
regards tm

headsup, that scar sounds like a whole new topic on it's own :eek: :lol:

Latest posts