things to look for when buying a 4WD

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been looking for a Hilux for a while now

i had a look at one last week that was listed in "great condition"

2008 model diesel , 4WD , 119,000 km $ 24,000

I had a careful look over it and did a REVS check that showed it had been in two minor collisions and repaired which is no big deal

what i found amazing was the mildew inside the clear plastic face of the stereo , and the chassis rails which were completely filled with sand

which tells me the vehicle was flood damaged at least to the depth of the dashboard, yet the WOVR didnt show it

any vehicle submerged to that level should be a compulsory Stat write off :/

guess what . i didnt buy it

just giving you guys a heads Up

The most important thing to look for is it has a nissan badge on it and a td 4.2t engine :)

You can tell underneath if a 4x4 has been jumping stumps with easy signs of scratches and scars, MT tyres tell me it's most likely been mud bashed. Open and shut everything. I always go for a second test drive and test drive as many as you want there's no rush in buying your new truck. Test the different size motors, auto-manual ect...

Rust, is the main thing I look for first up, I looked at at least 10 Prados before I settled on the one I got, heaps had major rust in the chassis from being driven on beaches. Then oil leaks.

The one I bought had about 100kg of mud jammed up underneath it but was straight and had no rust and the engine sounded fine. Good blast with the karcher underneath and it was fine.

Good luck with the search, buying cars is a PITA.

Heatho said:

aint that the truth,
been looking for a 4.2ltr Nissan patrol cab chassis with a canopy like the Telstra ones or a 4.2ltr Toyota cab chassis and found it would be easy if you had a hundred ground to spend, bit harder on a budget of about twenty grand.
scary stuff if you don't know much about 4x4's.
regards tm

trashmagnet said:
Heatho said:

aint that the truth,
been looking for a 4.2ltr Nissan patrol cab chassis with a canopy like the Telstra ones or a 4.2ltr Toyota cab chassis and found it would be easy if you had a hundred ground to spend, bit harder on a budget of about twenty grand.
scary stuff if you don't know much about 4x4's.
regards tm

I like the high top alloy canopies similar to the new Telstra ones

I will build one for my space cab hilux when I get it , at least 1000 - 1200 mm high full alloy with 3 doors and boat rack on top

I can make a single bunk bed inside with storage drawers underneath and have plenty of room to store valuables like high banker and the diggers tools of trade

Except for anything that contains petrol. ( like a pump ) , that has to be in a separate toolbox under the tray so the fumes don't get into the sleeping area
And jerry cans in a lockable box underneath too

HeadsUp said:

I will build one for my space cab hilux when I get it , at least 1000 - 1200 mm high full alloy with 3 doors and boat rack on top

I can make a single bunk bed inside with storage drawers underneath and have plenty of room to store valuables like high banker and the diggers tools of trade

Except for anything that contains petrol. ( like a pump ) , that has to be in a separate toolbox under the tray so the fumes don't get into the sleeping area

yeah mate I reckon those canopy's will be the bees knees when set up with a fridge slide and places for your tucker/recovery gear, camp gear all in there spot and a arb roof top tent for quick trips.

thanks for that info about the petrol stuff (pump/generater) not being inside, It did not even cross my mind. I would have learnt the hard way.
cheers for the heads up headsup :lol:
regards tm

trashmagnet said:
HeadsUp said:

yeah mate I reckon those canopy's will be the bees knees when set up with a fridge slide and places for your tucker/recovery gear, camp gear all in there spot and a arb roof top tent for quick trips.

thanks for that info about the petrol stuff (pump/generater) not being inside, It did not even cross my mind. I would have learnt the hard way.
cheers for the heads up headsup :lol:
regards tm

i like the rooftop tents and might use one if i meet a woman who likes to get out and dig a bit of gold with me

a rooftop tent still leaves space for a couple of solar panels on the roof too

( although space for the inflatable boat on the roof is lost then)

the concept of being up and out of the way of nasty bushwackin animals does have appeal .

i will just sleep a whole lot better

pjg100 said:
Hey Goldpick,
what's wrong with the 2.5 TD?
I have a 2008 dual d22 and could not be happier this.

Peter :cool:
Mine is a 2011 only problem is that the black got a zillion scratches on it :(

Had a couple of lightly used D40 Navaras at work as mentioned in a previous post, had nothing but troubles with them, same issues that you will see documented on many of the complaints websites. These include: Woefully inadequate brakes that have the ABS constantly cutting in, injectors cacked themselves before they even got to 70000kms, went into limp home mode on several occasions without any real reason, ABS sensor lines got severed by stones flicked up by front wheels due to poor location of lines running over the front of the rear axle, bonnet catch snapped off due to flexing of body on inadequately strengthened chassis - whole bonnet required replacement as the bonnet catch loop is welded to the bonnet skin, not bolted on. Also for the same reason, cracks started to appear on the inside of the front guards and firewall due to body flexing too much on chassis. All the cracks, brake sensor lines and bonnet were replaced or repaired under warranty, but cracks re-emerged in the same areas around the repair welds within a few weeks.

You only have to look at the thickness of the chassis rails on the Navara, and compare them to say the patrol, they are weeny, resulting in too much flexing for such a heavy vehicle. Other issues include early wear to the clutch (very common issue), poor low down torque from the 2.5, making pulling any towed load a chore from standstill, also an issue in low range, off-roading.

Now these vehicles were used mainly to ferry people back and forth long distances on bitumen and well made dirt roads, barely any low range off road work. On the upside, they were comfortable for long distance driving, had good pull from the 2.5 for overtaking when at up to speed, and had plenty of room. The original 2.5 was a poor choice for such a large vehicle, and I'm really not a fan of common rail diesels, they are very susceptible to the smallest bit of crap or moisture in the fuel, enough to stop you dead in your tracks - not something you want in remote areas.

We also had two 4.2 litre patrol coil cab chassis utes, they were unstoppable, even a bit of moisture wouldn't faze them, very well built. If you buy the coil cab patrols, it is advisable to reinforce the rear spring mounts with bracing, as they tend to sag with any significant weight it the back.

The other Nissan we had was a Navara D22, that was 100% tougher ute than the D40, the 3.0 litre diesel never had any issues other than a fuel tank for of water courtesy of the Marla Roadhouse, had to drive about 80kms in limp home mode from a station to Kulgera Roadhouse on the Fink River road in limp home mode -not much fun! Nissan towed it back to Alice Springs for a full fuel system cleanout.

Bottom line is if you own a D40, particularly with the 2.5, keep an eye out for cracks developing on the inside of the guards in the engine bay, and bonnet latch loop where it is welded to the bonnet skin. I am not a big fan of common rail diesels, they are very problematic when it comes to reliability, all for the sake of complying with European emmissions - not something I really give a hoot about stuck broken down out the middle of nowhere.

On another note, Prados are also susceptible to stress cracks in the firewall, so something else to watch out for. :)

Those D40 navaras sound terrible , another lemon is the Ford Ranger / Mazda BT50
(same vehicle different badge)

I have seen many up for sale where the ad says ;

" engine replaced at 130,000 km "
"engine replaced at 70,000 km"
"engine replaced at 110,000km"

thats scary

they also suffer with bad transmissions and weak brakes

I will be going the Hilux route

Latest posts