things to look for when buying a 4WD

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thesmithy said:
Headsup,
I have heard the same from some buyers and even worse.
of course the ones they transported to the show would have been the absolute best in class.
needless to say I have not bought one.
non turbo, 4 cylinder isuzi diesel. Slow as a wet week max speed 100 kph.

I have this theory about 2nd hand vehicles........?
selling to up grade....why just maybe you need a newer model.......especially if the company is buying.
selling as its reached it's use by date.
selling as we can't afford to repair it.

buying a 4x4
just purchase what you can afford with all its faults and work you way through them.

Remember the people that complain about your brand of 4x4 most probably has never owned one.
There are plenty of good people on this forum that have a very sound knowledge on working on 4x4 vehicles. As well as most makes and models.

an old Aircraft engineer once said to me OIL IS CHEAPER THAT METAL.......how true was he..45 years ago.

Yes , but you can fit turbos to them for around $3000 and get 30 - 40 % more pony

downside with those is air conditioning doesnt exist too

The 6x6 Perrenti built landrovers do have turbos and eventually there will be crate motors and spare parts by the container load turning up at the same facilities to be sold.

and yup , with second hand vehicles some fleet managers just flick them based on odometer readings regardless of maintenance costs

sometimes they flick them out of fleet based on lease finance expiration ( 3 or 5 years )

sometimes a fleet is dumped into auction because of expiration of a contract regardless of k's , age or condition

and other times a vehicle might get dumped "because it was a lemon from new and we were very unhappy with a failure to respond by the dealer and we will never buy another XYZ again"

buying second hand has every variable on earth , and a trap for every unwary soul . but if you do your homework carefully you can get lucky sometimes. says me with the crossed fingers and toes
I am still learning :/

They did have one there with air con.....also grey leather seats......air con even in back of this troopy...
custom I says......no officers vehicle.
Us and them again.

Even though i love the mog, it is built overseas standards, and if anything breaks it is alot more expencive than a 75 series cruiser We always seem to come back to the cruiser

charlie123 said:
Even though i love the mog, it is built overseas standards, and if anything breaks it is alot more expencive than a 75 series cruiser We always seem to come back to the cruiser

Had charlie since new in 1983, mind you the only thing cruiser left on her are the guards and doors. But you can't go past them. Buggered if I can bring myself round to spending $90k on a new one but.

with cruisers I would say reliability wise 75 series 2nd hand check it over thoroughly $20,000 if your smart and you have extremely reliable 4x4 truck

which is the best cruiser motor?...diesel that is

both normal aspirated ot turbo?

i heard one was exceptional

cheers

I would say the naturaly apirated 1HZ 4.2L 12 valve in-direct diesel injection would be the cheapest to run. But the 1HD-FTE has more technology being 24 valve, direct disel injection, turbo 4.2L. Im not sure of the 1HD's but I know the 1HZ's are top reliability, never had to pull one apart, just adjust the injector pump when she get a bit smokey, pre combustion is more gentle for the bottom end.

Latest posts