They get thirsty too

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anolphart

Zol Straub
Reaction score
I'm currently camped in the GT and was lamenting how dry it is and feeling sorry for myself because I can't use my new powered sluice, then I noticed a number of bees were following me where I was washing down the awning of my van, landing on the wet parts and obviously trying to drink the few wet spots that hadn't evaporated straight away. Then it dawned on me that bees, insects and birds must get pretty thirsty during these dry spells so I put my gold pan to good use.

Yup, they were having a ball. One was even doing the backstroke for a while ... (yes he's OK, he got himself out)

1553402446_img_0024.jpg

Good stuff, Anolphart, ya gotta look after the critters, bugs included.

Here on our mining claim I have set up various watering stations for the roos & wallabies, birds and also bugs of all description. The bugs look after me by cross pollinating the flowers on my fruit trees, so I look after them and never use any insecticide on the place.

Jeff

If the bee's are busy on a honey flow a 100 hives can go through around a 1000 litres in less than a week if it's hot, but they don't drink the water they use it to maintain hive temp. for the brood. around 32 - 34 deg they put the water on the comb and fan it, the original evaporative air con. you can feel the air going in on one side of the hive entrance and coming out on the other. the best I've had they almost emptied 1000 its in 4 days.

Another 35C day at home so we always make sure that we have plenty of saucers, bowls etc of cool water for our feathered friends.
When there isnt any dew for them in the morning, that is a worry.
Well done all
Mackka :clap: :clap: :clap:

I am very considerate and careing when it comes to our wild life...including bugs and insects.

For the birds, lizards and roos, I have bowls and tubs of water everywhere including in the sheds where they can escape the heat.
For the bugs and insects, I make sure it's a well placed thonging so it's an instant death. I'd hate to have one wobble off wounded.

I'm just a nice caring bloke. :Y:

Latest posts