The story of Paddy (Vic goldfields history)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
While out detecting on the weekend, I spotted a short run of diggings on ground that does not record as being rushed and it looked very shallow and uninteresting to me, but why was it there? There had been a series of methodical shallow diggings on the lead. I have checked some old maps and the lead was named after an old digger who had an interesting story. The story goes he was granted the land for his service in the Boer War in the place he had been digging prior to going to the Boer War. He then served in WW1 and again his lead was left alone. He then returned and from what I can gather he continued digging and did so until he died. He is not credited with finding much, but is remembered as a man who dug an entire lead.

Prospecting wise a completely ignored and discounted area that has been left alone. Historically, a minor footnote to the goldfields history. That said, my deepest respects for Paddy and I now look at this 'duffer patch' with a new set of eyes. Be a good bloke to have a few frothies with me thinks!!

Latest posts