The must haves for camping.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheFossickingKid

Angus Madden
Reaction score
Hey guys I will be getting a tent soon and will be camping when we go out fossicking. So I was wondering what are the must haves for camping such as cookers etc. if you could tell me what you bring along when you go camping that would be great. Thanks.

TFK :)

My basic camping gear consists of the following:

2 burner gas stove
Butane burner
Gas lantern
2 x small gas bottles (1 for stove, 1 for lantern)
Large spun steel fry pan
BBQ plate (half grill, half plate)
Long handled utensils
Riggers gloves
Small table for around the fire
2 x big plastic tubs (1 for food, 1 for cooking equipment)
2 x jaffle irons
2 x 25ltr water containers
Engle fridge/freezer
80 watt solar panel
Chair
Swag
Long handle shovel
Chainsaw
Kettle
Mossie coils
Insect repellent
First aid kit
Toilet paper

There's other bits n pieces but this would be the basic kit for my bush camping, a fair wack of stuff but I hate being in the middle of nowhere and have forgotten something.

Well i like to travel light.

HB + extension sluice
30 m long 2" hose
10 m long 40 mm hose ( x2)
5 m long 40 mm hose (x2)
40 mm suction hose
3 x short 1m flexible hoses
suction strainer
1 roll of erosion cloth to catch sediment
WX15 pump
5 x 25 litre buckets
60 litre tub for cleanup
2 x gold pans
sniffer bottles and glass vials
shovel
600 mm pick
5 x different sized trowels for crevicing + 2 x brushes
waist high waders
mirage rock boots
dive gloves
6 foot steel pry bar
crevice sucker /cleaner
toolbox ( screwdriver , spanner ,knife etc)
20 litre petrol can
Minelab detector
GPS / Ipad +WiFi
Tent
torch
spare torch
2 x 60 litre tubs of food ,drinks
10 litres drinking water
gas cooker
picnic blanket signed by Yogi Bear
mosquito coils
first aid kit including setopress bandages
Epirb
sleeping bag
air mattress
towel
bag of clothes
dunny paper
tea tree oil , salt and metho for bites , tics or leaches
1 box secret stuff

Don't forget something to plonk your bum on.
I always have a small 3 leg folding stool and some times take a $7 Bunnings folding camp chair as well.

Matches, don't forget the matches........ :8 bloody hard rubbing two sticks together :)
And those cheap burners with the disposable cans are great don't take much room ( you can use the burner if you ever forget the matches to start a fire ;) )

Man, you must have an awesome missus Sandta

In my situation the tent is for her beauty products and she sleeps on the single bed in the camper van because I snore leaving me outside with my swag and the mosquito's.

oh, and my contribution

BEER

No idea on price as my gear has been a continual collection for 25yrs.
A good idea is to take a pen and notepad away with you in the glove box and when you realise what you need, forgotten or things that bother you that you want to change about your setup write it down so you don't forget it when you're back home.
I do this while camping as well as fishing in my boat because there's certain thing that I need to change in the boat or 4WD that you only remember then and there.
My old '88 Troopy went for 6 years with a windscreen that leaked when it rained, I only ever drove it on camping trips and of the 8-10 trips a year it may have rained on 1 or 2 a year, my mate and I got soaked when it did as it would pour in through the seals.
Every other time I drove it in the dry or when at home I totally forgot about it, I even payed for windscreen cover on my insurance for 5yrs to get it replaced and sold it early this year not fixed.
Now every time I'm driving my '00 ute in the rain I have a chuckle to myself ;)
Pen and Paper, don't forget.

TheFossickingKid said:
Sweet sounds good guys. Would you happen to have a total price tag of how much all this costs? So I can get a rough idea. Thanks. :D
Start off with some basics and build from there, you won't know what you need until you need it and everyone has different needs depending on the type of comfort you want too.

I forgot to mention tarps as well, very useful to keep everything dry and I keep them permanently in my vehicle.
The pic's below are how I set up if I'm camping for 3+ days regardless of the weather, the tarps only take 20mins or 2 cans to set up and provide shelter from rain, wind and shade if hot. The troopy had a full drawer system right through and the kitchen was at the back, I do miss it but not the Huntsman spiders when I used to load wood in it, the ute is better for that.
On this particular trip we were on our annual Queens Birthday Murray Cray trip for 5 days, this was the 2nd day and we had copped a constant 15 hours of light rain the day before and spent it sitting under the tarp with music blasting and making the esky lighter, nothing under the tarps got wet because of the runoff channels we dug around the setup to divert the water.
The alternative was to spend 15 hours in the car with my brother if the tarps weren't set up and I really don't like my brother enough to do that.
1414736446_picture_672.jpg

1414736446_picture_676.jpg

Anyways, I've said enough about my camping experiences for now, all this talk has me wishing I was getting away for the weekend instead of working around the house.

Yep nice setup there Pete and thanks for the information I will put a list down of camping gear down on some paper tonight and have look on the internet. And yes backcreek that's a great rule haha. Thanks everyone. :)

I've always found the typical two burner stove either flimsy or too small for frying pans. These days I use a single burner directly on the gas bottle for small jobs and for bigger, heartier meals I have a Zeigler and Brown barbeque, a lot of people call them Ziggies. They are like a Weber Q but the burners are better on the Ziggy. They can be got at Barbeques Galore.

I have a small elcheapo flatscreen telly attached to a QuickGrip clamp which I attach to the frame of my foldup gazebo during the winter months - good for watching Friday Night Footy and the clamp means easy install and easy packup.

For the tarps, tent poles. Have a good collection over many years but Aldi sometimes have easy extendable ones for $10 so we've added a few more for wet weather setups
tent pegs
sh..shovel. Go for a walk. Some people just don't seem to care, even where there are public toilets which half the time aren't the best either
small table - got a folding aluminium one for $15 at one of the cheap shops. Not too big
piece of matting or shadecloth type stuff outside your tent or van. Stops grass, dirt etc.
wash up dish/detergent
plates/cups/cutlery
paper plates?
paper towels
container,eg plastic tablet bottle for your finds.

Latest posts